Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

just ordered 3 items from partznet.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on how your going to drive the car. Struts help stiffen the car, improves handling. Also adds show.

IMO Well worth the $170 for street use.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by doubledown
Sorry to sound like an ___ here, but what exactly does a STRUT BAR do for you? Is it worth the $170 or whatever it costs?
A strut bar reduces flex that strut towers experience during hard cornering. When taking a turn a car’s strut towers normally flex, resulting bodyflex and losing some traction. As strut tower bars are designed to keep your strut towers from flexing, they distribute the pressure applied to one strut tower when taking a turn to both towers instead of just one. This keeps the wheels in position. Keeping the wheels in position helps keeping the tires in the desired position on the road, and this will help to improve traction on the turns.

i think it's more useful, than, say... a shiny oil cap? :D
Old 06-29-2004, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member

IM sorry, i couldnt find it anywhere else, but is the cargo mat just a carpet mat for the trunk?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by woodstock
Sorry to sound like an ___ here, but what exactly does a STRUT BAR do for you? Is it worth the $170 or whatever it costs?
A strut bar reduces flex that strut towers experience during hard cornering. When taking a turn a car’s strut towers normally flex, resulting bodyflex and losing some traction. As strut tower bars are designed to keep your strut towers from flexing, they distribute the pressure applied to one strut tower when taking a turn to both towers instead of just one. This keeps the wheels in position. Keeping the wheels in position helps keeping the tires in the desired position on the road, and this will help to improve traction on the turns.

Thank you....would you recommend this for just the average driver? I'm sure I'm going to want to do some things to my tC when I get it.

Ooooohhhh.....shiny oil cap. SO shiny....need it.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you....would you recommend this for just the average driver? I'm sure I'm going to want to do some things to my tC when I get it.

probably not necessary for everyday driving; you could drive your tC around without it, and if you feel there is significant body roll or if you think you want a firmer ride, then go for the bar.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Conicelli's bad ___ - I've been ordering Toyota and Mitsubishi parts from them for years. They know what their prices are, they cater pretty much to online customers (hense the pricing). GREAT people there. They're actually the reason I'm not getting any factory installed options. Just going through Conicelli for anything I need.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default Question

If i were to order parts from that site, say the exhaust, and intake for example, do you guys think my dealer would install the parts or no since i didnt get them from them?

-Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member

probably not necessary for everyday driving; you could drive your tC around without it, and if you feel there is significant body roll or if you think you want a firmer ride, then go for the bar.
Just got my strut brace in that I ordered from mcgeorgeparts.com it looks better than I thought it would , the brushed aluminum dosen't look cheap like some do . Oh yea mcgeorgeparts had it in stock I got it 2 days after I ordered it. $149.00 shipped. Will post pic after I put it on..
Old 06-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Question

Originally Posted by OldSpice
If i were to order parts from that site, say the exhaust, and intake for example, do you guys think my dealer would install the parts or no since i didnt get them from them?
The most dealers will install it as long as it's a "Scion" approved accesorry (CAI, etc.) However the install price from one dealer will be different from another dealer. Asked the dealer(s) what the install price would be on, lets say the AEM CAI for your tC. Do not tell them you got the part from some other place! They may jack the price up. The parts department is the service departments twin brother. Compare from one dealer to the next. Make sure you take the guys name down and if possible have them write the prices on dealership parts/service forms. Typically they would post the hourly cost, but they may say that the strutbar will take 4-hours to install @$90/hr! Yeah, shop around. DO NOT GO TO ANTWERPEN TOYOTA SERVICE DEPARTMENT in Clarksville, MD!
Old 06-30-2004, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It seems to me like a lot more TRD parts are available on the page now...

Can anyone tell me why I would want to get the shocks set?

Man those lowering springs are cheap... :D
Old 06-30-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm also leaning towards the springs (for looks mostly), but I'll have to pay to get them installed (I have no major tools).

How about those radio prices ($280)? I hope I can sell my head unit for half of what they want for a new one.

Any word on after market or any non-dealer foglamps?
Old 06-30-2004, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: just ordered 3 items from partznet.com

Originally Posted by mcgeorgeparts
Originally Posted by tC4me
Originally Posted by gwtc
Originally Posted by tcforme
Originally Posted by gwtc
Jusst ordered the cold air , strut brace and the mudguard set from: http://www.partznet.com/toyota/scion...chomepage.html. Talked to guy named tom really nice person. I didn't know but they're actually a toyota dealer out in Pennsylvania. He told me they probably have the parts in by tomorrow and I should be getting them by the end of the week, just like my tC.
What brand was the cold air . The AEM for the tc is not released yet was told it would not be out till nov ????
The AEM, he told me I should have it by the end of the week, we'll see do.
It'll be the AEM cause it was due to launch with the car or "a late launch", reasons why we couldnt order it with the car.
The cold air offered through Scion is AEM, dealers won't be able to order it till mid July it will have a polished finnish and should produce 2-3 hp
Is it me or does 2-3 hp sound pretty weak to anyone else?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is pretty weak, but you shouldn't expect much more out of an cold air intake... results tend to vary on car and situation, but those who say they get 10 - 15 hp out of one are probably being bit too optimistic...
Old 06-30-2004, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually I've seen a few dyno's with the CAI, they've been getting 3-8 hp.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Charisma
Actually I've seen a few dyno's with the CAI, they've been getting 3-8 hp.
Your basically paying for a car that sounds tough (which is fine, beat spending money on neon lights). If you want massive horses, go super charger.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.partznet.com/toyota/scion...ITRWHEELS.html
Check out the rims....
OMG!!!
Those are awesome baby.
I think my drowl just shorted out my keyboard.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just ordered the TRD lowering springs and sports pedal covers, can't wait to have my car along with all these goodies.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to install a pair of lowering springs?

I have no experience with suspension.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed Teins on my brother's xB and it took me about 2 1/2 hrs, it was my first time. It wasn't that hard, once you get the first one out of the way, you get the basic idea of how to do rest. I do think you have to be some what handy with tools in order to attemp this on your own do. I will recommend if you are plannig to do it yourself, to get a budy to help you and to get a spring compressor from pepboys (they rent these out, you get all your money back). That way the shocks won't go flying out when you try to remove the springs (very dangerous without the spring compressor).
Old 07-01-2004, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CNYScions
SL Member

That seems pretty cheap for the TRD springs...not too bad.

I wonder if there are any other springs out yet for it? Like anything lower? I am sure there are....