Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

list of my tC problems... what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member

Default list of my tC problems... what should I do?

drove almost 9K... there are bunch of problems...

1. I have MT. I started to notice that sound you guys talked about before... 1st to 2nd ... I definitely hear cracking sound

2. sunroof rattle

3. hissing sound from airbox? my gf described that it sounds like cop siren...

4. I'm not sure this is problem or not, but when I drove like 80 with window open, air hit my face like drum hitting ( I don't know how describe it...) but it's ok if I open sunroof.... (aerodynamic problem???)

5. what is mpg for MT? I get only like 300mile with 12.5 gallon which is 24 mpg. I usually drove street and freeway sometimes... but I felt like car spend more gas when I drive on freeway...

6. CEL comes on and off like 10 times... It's on all of sudden and off after I drive couple of times... also my car definitely lose power when CEL is on

I felt like I got a lemon... I know I gotta go to dealer immediately but just no time and lazy... Are they gonna take my car back and give me a new one???
Old 05-18-2005, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well if you are too lazy to go to the dealer, why bother?
The rattle is not lemon worthy, wind in your face beating you like a drum is not lemon worthy, but you can try to file an assault charge. 24mph sounds right for someone doing 80.
the hissing sound from your airbox... might be the sound of it taking in air. and I doubt it sounds like a cop siren, unless you were being pulled over for doing 80 while your face was being assaulted by the wind coming in your open window.

CEL... check your gas cap first. If it's secure, then make sure the wind coming in the window beating you like a drum isn't the culprit.

Of course you can take it to the dealer.

You Don't have a Lemon
Old 05-18-2005, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeamMightyMiniz
The rattle is not lemon worthy, wind in your face beating you like a drum is not lemon worthy, but you can try to file an assault charge. 24mph sounds right for someone doing 80.
the hissing sound from your airbox... might be the sound of it taking in air. and I doubt it sounds like a cop siren, unless you were being pulled over for doing 80 while your face was being assaulted by the wind coming in your open window.

CEL... check your gas cap first. If it's secure, then make sure the wind coming in the window beating you like a drum isn't the culprit.

You Don't have a Lemon
best response I've seen in a while.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The heck with the dealer! Take it to Autozone. They'll know what to do.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, he probably just needs a fuzzy steering wheel cover or a barbed wire license plate frame. They fix everything!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Lemon

Read the book that came with the car. In order for the dealership to acknowledge you have a lemon they must attempt to fix your problem. If the dealership tries and fails to fix your "problem" 3 or more times, then you can say you have a lemon and ask/demand a new vehicle. Read the book that came with the car. It should be in the little black Scion case that looks like a shaving kit in your glovebox.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

You Don't have a Lemon

Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Fuel mileage is normal... those numbers are available everywhere. 29 on the hwy and 19-22 city. 24 average is normal. That is not a "problem"

The airbox noise is supposed to be there. All tCs do this. It is just a noise. If you dont like it, never get a CAI because it will be even louder. This is not a "problem"

The air hitting your face.... you have the window open at 80mph... When it is all the way down the air will not hit your face as much. This is not a "problem"

The CEL... take it to the dealer... that is what your warranty is for

The Tranny... again ,dealer, warranty

The sunroof... there is a TSB for this one. Dealer, Warranty

So you have three "problems" with the car, one of which already has a TSB out (it is a very quick fix). The other two fall under warranty given that you havent bashed your tranny excessively.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, TeamMighty is my hero.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: list of my tC problems... what should I do?

Originally Posted by tycoon2017
drove almost 9K... there are bunch of problems...

1. I have MT. I started to notice that sound you guys talked about before... 1st to 2nd ... I definitely hear cracking sound

2. sunroof rattle

3. hissing sound from airbox? my gf described that it sounds like cop siren...

4. I'm not sure this is problem or not, but when I drove like 80 with window open, air hit my face like drum hitting ( I don't know how describe it...) but it's ok if I open sunroof.... (aerodynamic problem???)

5. what is mpg for MT? I get only like 300mile with 12.5 gallon which is 24 mpg. I usually drove street and freeway sometimes... but I felt like car spend more gas when I drive on freeway...

6. CEL comes on and off like 10 times... It's on all of sudden and off after I drive couple of times... also my car definitely lose power when CEL is on

I felt like I got a lemon... I know I gotta go to dealer immediately but just no time and lazy... Are they gonna take my car back and give me a new one???
man I feel sorry for this guys car......no tC should have to put up with such idiocy.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the other day i hit 100 with the windows open and the wind didnt feel like drums hitting my face.
the hissing noise is from the throttle body and i have a wr intake and its even louder. i love it. the other day this girl was driving with me and she was like do you have a turbo? i was like no thats just the sound of the throttle body. She was like sweeeet i wish my car did that.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

you guys are harsh.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wind in your face beating you like a drum is not lemon worthy, but you can try to file an assault charge.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by vzwjon
you guys are harsh.
yeah, we probably were a little bit overly harsh, but every single one of his questions has not only been answered before, but have posts regarding them that are active.
That, and coupled with that he doesn't seem to be utilizing any common sense ( i.e. he is experiencing problems, but rather than going to the dealer and having them checked out, he's posting about them), makes for pretty easy pickings.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hven't heard anybody talking about a "cracking noise" coming from the transmission. Has anybody heard this before?

Other than that, everything that TeamMightyMiniz and engifineer said is right.

And another thing: A fuzzy steering wheel cover or barbed wire license plate from won't fix anything. Everybody knows what he needs is a louder stereo!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by JasonH
I hven't heard anybody talking about a "cracking noise" coming from the transmission. Has anybody heard this before?

Other than that, everything that TeamMightyMiniz and engifineer said is right.

And another thing: A fuzzy steering wheel cover or barbed wire license plate from won't fix anything. Everybody knows what he needs is a louder stereo!
Originally Posted by tycoon2017

I'm guessing he is talking about the synchros making noise between 1st and 2nd.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
I'm guessing he is talking about the synchros making noise between 1st and 2nd.[/quote]
My synchros don't make any (abnormal) noise. How many people have had this problem? Has anybody gotten it fixed? This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

that's the whole point....there wasn't any abnormal noise...it started off with one person saying they noticed noise, as well as "protesting" in the shifts themselves, typically on down shifts from 2-1 while moving.

A bunch of other people chimed in. turns out, it was people braking/coasting with the clutch in, and shifting from 2-1 at like 30 mph. So, no *real* issue there.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Click from the tranny

Actually i wouldnt describe the sound in the tranny as a "cracking sound" mine does the same thing and im thinking about taking it in to have toyota check it out. For me its more like a gear hitting another gear hard or something of that sort. Either way its not a pleasent sound!
Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member

Default shifting noise

Mine has a similar ping, clink, click, noise coming after shifting up or down (as soon as clutch is out and after). Sometimes it happens 2-4 times in a gear. Does not happen with constant speed, but only acceleration or deceleration. Currently at the dealer where they have no clue what it is, surprise... They tightened the suspension and front end down, but still there. The noise does not occur when it is on the lift without pressure on the wheels. The tech thought it might be some cable hitting something else, but I told him I'm pretty sure it wasn't, especially how loud it was and the frequency at times.

What has been mentioned already, what is the culprit...
1. synchros
2. transmission mount
3. shift linkage
4. lug nuts loose
5. tensioner

Your guess?? Or has anyone had this problem fixed.

Here are a few other posts on this similar topic including this one...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...e+accelerating

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...noise+shifting

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...noise+shifting

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...fting&start=25

Thanks.

Quick Reply: list of my tC problems... what should I do?