Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

To Many Complaints For A Brand New Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The WRX even in 2002 (last of its gen) had lots of squeeks and rattle... But I had a 15" L7 in it with about a 150 lbs box... Ran maybe 700 RMS to the woofer and ran it 3 hours a day...

The windows in the WRX had a bad rail system on the driver's side which caused it to scrape against the insides and leave 2 streaks (kinda like when you squeegie the window)...

Every car has their issues, but those issue seem to be a dealer fixer... I would probably worry about these things more when you get into the Lexus / Infinity car lines... A 16K Scion is more so a starter car, so don't expect TOO much out of it...

Cars with real wood grain and soft leather seats with individual climate controls are built with better care :D
Old 11-17-2004, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm currently dealing with Jennifer out of Denver. She is my regional manager. She is sending a regional tech out to inspect the car to confirm its a flaming pile of ____. Once its confirmed, we can find a way to fix it. Only problem is the regional guy covers several states and is only in southern AZ maybe once a month. Next time he is out is next tues/wed and I'll be out of town. He won't be back till maybe mid december, in which I'll probably also be out of town for the holidays being a student. Maybe I can have them look at it in California or New Mexico when I'm out of town because waiting another 2 months to get my car that has had issues since the end of June is crazy. Its getting worse.

Plus, I'm 99% sure that my car was wrecked before I got it. I've had several people tell me that Desert Toyota, where I bought the car, had two scions TCs wrecked when they first came in. When I bought the car, the sales guy told me the other one they had was in the shop getting fixed because someone backed a truck into it. Apparently, someone backed a truck into both of them but there is no way for me to prove this so I'm basically screwed. That would explain all my issues and rattles. Comparing my car to my friends, my fenders don't line up right, the whole rear makes noise when I push down on the rear glass, while his is perfecly quiet. The side skirt on one side is pushed in. The front bumper on one side has a large gap below the headlight while the other side doesn't.

On another side note, I went and test drove a 2002 lexus is300 that a local dealer has. Silver, 5 speed with 30k miles on it for $22k. Very very nice car. I think possable TC owners should look into cars such as this. I've been driving alot of other cars recently and every single one has been quiter, more solid, and overall a better car than my TC. I drove a new mazda 3 5 door my friend just got. A 2001 Solara SLE (awesome car for only $9500, v6, leather, loaded out). The lexus. An acura integra GSR (110k miles, and more solid, than my car). Plus the GSR handled better, was way faster, better gas mileage and many other advantages, and cost less than 1/2 of what my car cost. Hell, even the paint was in better condition on a 97 then my 05 scion.

Talking to all the local dealers I've been driving cars at, they all told me I need to stop talking to Scion on the phone and start writing certified letters so I have a paper trail to fall back on if they decide not to help me out. All the dealers I've talked to (ford, lexus, chevy, acura, mazda) say they would have replaced my car months ago if I had half the issues I've had. Now thats easy for them to say, but not encouraging to my situation.

Anyways, best of luck to anyone buying a TC. I hope no one has to go through 1/2 of what I've gone through. This car has basically ruined the past 7 months of my life. A week hasn't gone by where I haven't had to deal with issues, file a complaint, or take the car to the dealer. I feel raped by Scion. Their story continually changes. I've been assured several times that my problems would be fixed, and then the next day they completely change their mind/tone.

Also, I haven't even posted tons of the issues I've had with the car. The broken dealer promise, the lies and deception and all that. I could write a small novel on this horror story.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
On another side note, I went and test drove a 2002 lexus is300 that a local dealer has. Silver, 5 speed with 30k miles on it for $22k. Very very nice car. I think possable TC owners should look into cars such as this.
I own a 03 GGP IS300 5 speed that I bought new. It is a great car, but my tC is just as solid, almost as quick, handles just as well (New Springs/Shocks on both cars), and gets the same poor gas mileage that the tC gets.

I would recommend a new tC over a used IS to anyone looking to buy a car- It's just a better deal-The IS only has an auto up/down window on the drivers window!

Sorry to hear about all your bad luck though- everyone seems to dog you and Cyber for being so negative- you at least have legitimate reasons- If your car was really wrecked before they sold it to you and they didn't tell you I think you have a valid lawsuit-
Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

Good luck Nick, I hope for your sake they refund your money and you can find your dream car.......a car you no longer love is a pain,,,,,good luck
Old 11-18-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem is the only way to prove the car was wrecked would be to have the dealer admit it. Since they fixed it, there is no record. I mean, I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard the same thing from 2-3 people, and it makes sense.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you should drive some other tC's that haven't been screwed up by this particular dealer before you damn the design itself.

I'm sorry you ended up with the one lemon.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah that's the problem with Nick's situation. It was a lemon. That doesn't mean all the tC's are even close to as bad as nick's. This is definately a problem with the dealership. They sold you a ____ car, Nick, not a ____ model.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:28 AM
Banned
SL Member

yea boys, but i know i would take my money and run, I dont think i would chance it
Old 11-18-2004, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, but the company should stand behind and fix it, and THAT is where the problem lies.

My friend has a TC, and it rattles, but not as bad as mine. Another friend has one, and it grinds 3rd gear and rattles. A girl that my friend works with has also had transmission issues. I can't speak for all, just the 4 I've personally riden in, seen and not a single one has not had an issue. Then again, all the others are much better than mine.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 AM
Banned
SL Member

nick get rid of it.....and move on,,,
Old 11-18-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah. Gotta talk to them and see if they are going to refund, if not I take it in the ___, lose $3k selling it, and buy something else. Its hard being a full time student because I don't have th times or means to do this crap. Have to wait till the holiday when I don't need a car, sell mine, and pick something else up.

If anyone wants a silver 5 speed TC, I'll give you a good deal.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member

I'm currently dealing with Jennifer out of Denver. She is my regional manager. She is sending a regional tech out to inspect the car to confirm its a flaming pile of ____. Once its confirmed, we can find a way to fix it. Only problem is the regional guy covers several states and is only in southern AZ maybe once a month. Next time he is out is next tues/wed and I'll be out of town. He won't be back till maybe mid december, in which I'll probably also be out of town for the holidays being a student. Maybe I can have them look at it in California or New Mexico when I'm out of town because waiting another 2 months to get my car that has had issues since the end of June is crazy. Its getting worse.

Plus, I'm 99% sure that my car was wrecked before I got it. I've had several people tell me that Desert Toyota, where I bought the car, had two scions TCs wrecked when they first came in. When I bought the car, the sales guy told me the other one they had was in the shop getting fixed because someone backed a truck into it. Apparently, someone backed a truck into both of them but there is no way for me to prove this so I'm basically screwed. That would explain all my issues and rattles. Comparing my car to my friends, my fenders don't line up right, the whole rear makes noise when I push down on the rear glass, while his is perfecly quiet. The side skirt on one side is pushed in. The front bumper on one side has a large gap below the headlight while the other side doesn't.

On another side note, I went and test drove a 2002 lexus is300 that a local dealer has. Silver, 5 speed with 30k miles on it for $22k. Very very nice car. I think possable TC owners should look into cars such as this. I've been driving alot of other cars recently and every single one has been quiter, more solid, and overall a better car than my TC. I drove a new mazda 3 5 door my friend just got. A 2001 Solara SLE (awesome car for only $9500, v6, leather, loaded out). The lexus. An acura integra GSR (110k miles, and more solid, than my car). Plus the GSR handled better, was way faster, better gas mileage and many other advantages, and cost less than 1/2 of what my car cost. Hell, even the paint was in better condition on a 97 then my 05 scion.

Talking to all the local dealers I've been driving cars at, they all told me I need to stop talking to Scion on the phone and start writing certified letters so I have a paper trail to fall back on if they decide not to help me out. All the dealers I've talked to (ford, lexus, chevy, acura, mazda) say they would have replaced my car months ago if I had half the issues I've had. Now thats easy for them to say, but not encouraging to my situation.

Anyways, best of luck to anyone buying a TC. I hope no one has to go through 1/2 of what I've gone through. This car has basically ruined the past 7 months of my life. A week hasn't gone by where I haven't had to deal with issues, file a complaint, or take the car to the dealer. I feel raped by Scion. Their story continually changes. I've been assured several times that my problems would be fixed, and then the next day they completely change their mind/tone.

Also, I haven't even posted tons of the issues I've had with the car. The broken dealer promise, the lies and deception and all that. I could write a small novel on this horror story.
it might be that it was in an accident

i guess the guys at long beach didnt do a good job, its their first time with a tC
Old 11-18-2004, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

so far i gots no rattles, i've had it for 5 days and the fasted i've done is 61, so i dunno, maybe i'll find them later
Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well right now my car is in at the dealer and im at my house. i dont think my car is as bad as Nick's. When i went in today someone went with me to hear what was wrong and he heard that rattles. he also has a tc and the only thing he hears is the pop in the sun roof. he told me it was going to be a while so they brought me home and they are going to pick me up in a little at around 2. now thats good customer service, i just hope they fix it.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my car back at around 3:20 and i HAD rattle in the back. i dont have it anymore, i guess they fixed it,but i have to go back so they can fix the rattle on the drivers side and because they disconnected the automatic window on the drivers side. they fixed it by putting foam in the back to make the rattle go away.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plus, I'm 99% sure that my car was wrecked before I got it. I've had several people tell me that Desert Toyota, where I bought the car, had two scions TCs wrecked when they first came in.

If you can't meet with the Scion tech, don't blame them. Yea, it sucks that they only have one guy covering several states, but sometimes that's what's most cost effective for a company. See if they can have another tech meet with you while you are away. It sounds like they are making an effort to check your car out, and you just can't be there.

It also sounds like you probably have a lemon. Every car has lemons. See if your state has a lemon law. If you have to take it back X number of times, the dealer is supposed to replace it, no questions asked. Also if it was wrecked, it should show up on a carfax report that it was fixed. It might be worth the 30 bucks to see to take it to the dealer with that information.

If your dealer is jerking you around, find another Toyota dealer close and have them take a look at it. Someone should be willing to help you with your problem. I would also start writing letters, it might take you some time but you should be able to get this fixed.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default bad Timing to read this thread

I just bought a TC and i'll be picking it up on the 26th...

I might be having second thoughts....
Old 11-19-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: bad Timing to read this thread

Originally Posted by Fitty2005
I just bought a TC and i'll be picking it up on the 26th...

I might be having second thoughts....
at 1600 miles, no problems here. Like mancide said, all cars have lemons. You should be fine, just test drive it before you sign off on it.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

There are people with 10K+ with no problems, I'm at 4K+ with no dealer visits - no problems at all. Every make and model has its lemons.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member

My tC hatchback still has rattle since I bought it in Sept this year. I may have to tolerate it because I don't want to bring it to the dealer and have my tC getting worse. I know that in U.S. a lot of merchandises can be returned if we don't like them, but not for cars. You have bought the car and that is it. Too bad, no return is accepted. They wanted you to sign a paper for that before you can drive the new car out of the dealer's door. This is not fair to consumers.

Quick Reply: To Many Complaints For A Brand New Car