Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Is It Me or Do People Seem They Know Everything About Cars?...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is It Me or Do People Seem They Know Everything About Cars?...

But in reality, they don't know sh!!tt! LOL

I work with men. This week I admitted out loud that I have 150k miles on my tC. Realistically; my auto trans is shifting good, engine isn't leaking anywhere and is still running better than ever. I am still on OEM timing belt, hoses. Those aren't cracking or glazing. Car starts up with ease even in 20 degrees weather. Sh!!tt! I amazed fellow Scionlifer by saying I am still on the stock battery after three years. Its been a very good car to me. Yeah I do have "Wear and Tear" like wheel bearings and I need to replace motor mounts due to improper or never did install when I got into my accident.

Anyway, my co-workers were saying "Well, its not going to last in two years" or "I give it 250k before it dies"....

Those idiots never observe while driving...."What is the auto maker of all those rusted out by STILL driving? Cars from the 1980s still on the streets?" Oh yeah, Toyota???

I have total trust & faith in my tC. Because, I know its gonna drive me to 500k with ease. I may have to buy engine and transmission down the road; but its STILL cheaper than buying a whole new car with negitive amount. Plus, I take care of my car. I don't race it every minute like one of my idiot co-workers who owns stock SRT4. They all own American made except for one.

What they don't know is...a local junkyard near me has totalled 8k '07 auto tC that has engine and transmission still for sale. They want 1,200 for engine and 700 for trans. I'll probably buy both with my end of the year bonus and store them with the rest of the parts I have.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
But in reality, they don't know sh!!tt! LOL

I work with men. This week I admitted out loud that I have 150k miles on my tC. Realistically; my auto trans is shifting good, engine isn't leaking anywhere and is still running better than ever. I am still on OEM timing belt, hoses.
Our 2az-fe run on timing chains. If you meant the serpentine belt, you should definitely change that out cuz the water pump is driven off it.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they own american cars thats why their idiots.
150k miles? is that the first generation tC?
i had mine for over a year and havent touched 15k...
the gas prices is preventing me from racing people.

oh yeah its a timing chain so that should last the life of the car. or at least hella long.

a well maintained car will last a while.

realistically it may be cheaper to get a new car once it breaks down. like far down into the future. where switching to electric and hydrogen cars so the government may give us benefits and discounts on a new car. kinda like the cash for clunkers program.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope you don't mean your serpentine belt is still the original. That should be replaced every 100K miles (maybe less?)..if that breaks your screwed. Otherwise your timing chain is fine...might want to start considering a new battery just to be safe so you don't get the "oh ____ my car won't start" randomly one day
Old 09-12-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I don't think she was posting for you guys to tell her or make suggestions as to what she should do with the car, she made the thread for that reason alone.

Everyone believes they know everything about the car, sure there are manufacturers intervals and what people have come to believe, the 2 rarely match up.

The timing chain isn't good for the lifetime of the car, per Toyota's specs but i'm sure there are some that have gone the life of the car.

The serpentine belt and water pump have gone on some tC's before 36,000 miles, there are Toyota's change intervals on those too but i'm sure some have gone or will go the life of the car. To the OP it is likely they may have replaced the belt when you had your accident.

But best of luck to making it to 500,000! It seems like you're destined to make it there with the basics of car maintenance.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ecko picked up on it lmao... people are sad
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ lmfao I walked right into that one..although I still stand by my serpentine belt statement

But yeah..are motors pretty bullet proof (hell they handle a lot of boost with little effort)..and the transmissions seem to hold up pretty nicely as well from what I've seen and heard from higher mileage tC's..all we can do is wait and see right? :D

Actually recently I had a similar thing happen - I was at school in the cafeteria and this guy that was sitting by my group of friend starting talking and well we got on the subject of cars and I told him I have a tC and he was like "oh cool. I used to work at a Toyota dealer so i drove those a lot. They're nice cars man." So I agreed and said thanks and then he proceeds to say "yeah man just get a chip and you will get like 30-40 more horsepower" I just kinda laughed uncomfortably and nodded my head...wasn't gonna bother..he was a nice guy and all but..yeah...

Last edited by XIEmperorIX; 09-12-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1st gen tcs, is there a new body style i havent seen?
Old 09-12-2009, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My guess is he means the 05/06 tC? That's the closest thing we ever had to a different generation for our cars because of the slight changes made starting 07+
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work at a retail store of 100+ people and i laugh everyday. I have alot of corvette fans at work and they hate my car is a "Rice" rocket. so i make fun back and they all talk about how slow my car is and blah blah. and i had a few guys say yea i switched my chip out and its was the best mod i could ever make.. hahaha then they told me to go get one for mine i just nodded and said oh yea.. lmao
Old 09-13-2009, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol oh boy...yeah I've heard it all..just gotta smile and nod sometimes..
Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

when you go to that junkyard ask em if they have the stock headliner and how much?
i realllly need one.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put a chip in my car! It was Dorito and it was delicious! Race those Corvettes to the gas pumps...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
when you go to that junkyard ask em if they have the stock headliner and how much?
i realllly need one.

If you need one BADLY; I'll offer you, mine. Maria and I some how got some red paint on the sun visor when we painted the dash. LOL Its not easy to see; you gotta know where its at to see it. I'm not going to the junkyard until December.

FYI- I own a 2007.

Last edited by XPRESSCION; 09-13-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i dont need the sun visors, ive already sourced those as well as a and b pillars.
all i need is the 08+ c pillars and any year headliner.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was at zumies at the mall today and some kid kept talking about his cammed out rx7... I asked if he was still on the original rotary and he said yea. lol.

The sad part is most people still wont catch whats wrong with that one.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^LMAO, it is sad to hear some people talk about cars.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alot of how a car ages is up to how well it is engineered and built, then how well it is operated, how well it is maintained, and the environment it is kept in.

i'm at 76k miles. supercharged for 20k miles now. done lots of cross country trips, moving, deliverys, catering, autocrossing, even drag racing. car is holding up pretty well, has a few rattles and quirks about it, but nothing that makes me miserable, or long for another car. still on my oem battery after 4 1/2 years. i had it tested just to make sure i replace it on my terms, but they said it is still strong, should go another year.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with the OP 100% minus the "buying a new engine comment"
Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Renegade
That's life for ya... definitely... lol... 150k miles is alot though, but damn you got a good Scion there ;)
150K isn't anywhere near a lot, when she reaches 300k then I can say she's getting up there but until then keep it moving.

Last edited by ecko04; 09-13-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Is It Me or Do People Seem They Know Everything About Cars?...