Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Mis-shifted 3 times on my tC in the first day of driving!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member

Default Mis-shifted 3 times on my tC in the first day of driving!

OK I am a noobie stick-driver. I learned the basics of driving stick. This is my first car and ofcourse my first manual. Hours after I got my tC I decided to go practice driving. The ride was bumpy and I stalled countless times when the light turned green. And Sadly... I seriously mis-shifted. The ones when you hear this really loud grinding noise and you know you seriously f***ed up big time! I mis-shifted from 2nd to 1st when I tried to shift to 3rd. I know alot of you might be sayin "how the f**k could I have done that??" My friends all keep wondering the same way as well. Its been like 4 days since I got my car and I have gotten a helluva alot better where I am confident to drive.

My question is you think I messed up my car? You think I screwed up my transmission already? Do you think my clutch is messed up because of the hours and hours I have been tryin to practice on it to find the "catch point"? I keep tellin myself that everythings goin to be fine cuz its a Toyota engine! I need some opinions. Thanks
Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think you should be ok. I have been driving stick for 2 years and just got my Scion a month ago now, and I stalled the car like 4 times the first day I had it. There is a delay in the gas because it's a drive by wire system, and I'm not used to that. But non the less, your trans should be ok.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ummmmm yes it's toyota..and i dont think you messed anything up...you will get used to it. I know how to drive stick but this is my first 5speed car. I had to get used to this one too, i stalled about 3 times the first week i got it..and havent stalled since...o wait ok once on a hill HA! But i have grinded the gears on accident before...the car is fine and nothign is wrong..i am sure your tC is perfectly fine. Dont worry about it.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Banned
SL Member

you f*cked up dude... why did you buy stick? now you are going to need a new clutch in no time and maybe a new tranny... sry
Old 07-17-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikek6789
you f*cked up dude... why did you buy stick? now you are going to need a new clutch in no time and maybe a new tranny... sry
damn why are you such an @$$ everytime u post?

anyway... your car'll be fine, don't worry. and if it does mess up ever... warranty
Old 07-17-2005, 11:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm misshifted into first instead of third once. man, that tought me well. never did it again.

however i have grinded 2 like 4 times, but it still works fine. this is my first stick car
Old 07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

While I might disagree with your slamming this guy, this is why I didn't get a manual. I'll find an old beater to practice on before putting my car through the abuse.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couple of tips for you:

- Don't panic. Even if there are 50 cars right behind you, and you have stalled through a whole light cycle at the busiest interesection in your city. Focus on what you are doing, restart your car, slowly release the clutch. When you feel the friction point, start giving it some gas while releasing the clutch all the way. There is probably no one in the world who didn't screw up a few times, or embarrass themselves in traffic when learning stick. No big deal.

- Think about what you're doing before each shift. I think you misshifted because you were shifting too quickly (just a guess). Right before you move that lever, quickly run two things in your head "is clutch depressed, do I know where to mvoe the shift lever", THEN do it. You will be slow, but at least you will make fewer mistakes and give your car less of a beating. In time, you will not think you are driving stick at all, but that is after a lot of practice.

- Try taking out your car for practice late at night (11:00pm+). There are usually very few cars around, especially on weekdays, and it will give you a chance to practice driving on streets without added pressure from other drivers. Maybe even drive to your common destinations, like school/work/etc.

Anyways, I doubt what you've done will do anything serious. I am sure you've put some extra wear on your drivetrain, but I wouldn't worry about your tranny or clutch failing just yet.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Emo
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I dunno about you guys, but there's seriously something wrong w/ my first gear... it grinds more and more eveyr time I try to put it from Neutral to 1st... yes, I am stopped, witht the clutch pushed all the way in. My dealer says there's nothing wrong with it but I'll keep goin there until they take apart my whole car until they fix that damn thing...

Now every time I take off, I put it into 2nd, and then back to first so it goes into 1st nice and smooth... really annoying...

-Emo
Old 07-19-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coming from the guy who thinks the downshift lock will keep him from downshifting atleast u sorta have english going for u...
Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the same thing when i was learning stick. I tried to shove into 3rd and misshifted into 1st, the car redlined needless to say and i ____ed off the people behind me cos i slowed down to like 15. But i doubt you messed it up. Because that was on my friend's tercel and if it wasn't screwed up then your tC is fine.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member

you'll get better, u wont do any serious damage unless ur grinding all the time. www.standardshift.com helped me when i first started, hope it helps you.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will get better. Try and practice in an empty parking lot. That's how I learned. Just remember to give it gas when you lift your foot off the clutch SLOWLY. Its like learning to ride a bike all over again. That's why I have AT!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You better learn to shift because the breakin period in the manual states: "Try to avoid jackrabbit starts". This also includes stalling out!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if u realize that u did it, and did not continue to rev it high , then ur okay, although it is considered downshifting, it is actually bad to the car during break in period (from my brother the mechanic)

also on the manual, do not race the car (red line)
Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you read the manual tranmission part of the tC manual?