Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

MOONROOF WHISTLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine started doing this on and off after my moonroof started to rattle. After my hatch started to rattle ... after I get a mysterious mid-car rattle
Old 03-07-2006, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, by far i am not a mechanic, but i am not an idiot either...lol

ANYWAY, ok so i did alot of highway driving, and this started this week. SO i ran down the highway and the whislte is there when there is very little wind compared to yesteryday.
So i got the bright idea to open the sunroof all the way and partially and all this stuff. GUES WHAT...the whislte STILL SCREAMING SUPER LOUD. So i was thinking, maybe its not the sunroof, but maybe i changed something that might be throwing the wind curvature off.

Well the only thing i done this week to my car, was totally taking off the front top grill on my car, cause i bought some mesh grill from lowes to make my own custom black one, and i have been driving without one.

SO i was thinking maybe the wind is hitting the front of my car, and creating a noise, and to me it seems like its coming from the top of my car, since its the most sound sensitive area?

MAYBE, i will find out once i put the original grill back on till i get my custom one done.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm getting the same whistle.....between 75 and 80 mph the whistle comes.....when I'm going over 80 and gets really loud. wtf is that?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im getting the same whistle sound when going over 65 mph, i had the dealership take a look at it and they told me all they had to do was tighten 1, 2 screws, did it fix the high pitch whistling HELL NO.

Looks like i have to make another trip down there.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

Ihad this issue with mt 05 tc about 10,000 miles into it...brought it in to the dealer and long story short they had to replace the entire sunroof assembly. but not i am wistle free
Old 05-30-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Did you go to A1 toyota? Thats where I bought my car from.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My car's like me. I can't whistle, nor can the car. ::rotfl::
Old 05-31-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ lol wait a few thousand miles
Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member

I have the whistle too...but the thing is...for some reason it doesnt happen to me every time. i only heard it twice. and i hear it as low as 60mph. it was coming right out of the sunroof in a position right above my head. i pushed it out a bit (while completely closed, and the whistling sound got stronger. then i had the a/c get fresh air from outside, it made the whistling stronger too. It is definitely the sunroof. I noticed that my sunroof is not as flush from the outside anymore as it used too when i bought it. I'll be having my tc service this week and discuss this with the dealership. i hope i get things fixed and let you know what they did.

sad part is that my dealership does not fix anything they couldnt hear, feel, or see. Like my Xa used to have vibration above 80. and they could not drive above 80 and they wouldnt balance the wheels for me. I hope my sunroof would whistle when i get to the dealership this week.

ill keep you guys posted.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you guys read my post? Its something around the front bumper throwing off the air curve creating a whistling noise.

So if you messed with your grill, or something came loose, its creating the noise.

It was for me, so I just put the stock grill back on, and no more noise.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the stock grill on my car and it still whistles......used to be the whistle would start at around 80 mph....now it starts at 70 mph.....time to go to the dealer....
Old 07-08-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a wistle that comes from the roof area by the mirror. It sounds like a bumble bee is flying around in my headliner. It's only at hightway speeds. I know everything is closed tigthly when it happens too. It drives me nuts so I either roll the windows down and blast the radio to dround it out.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just recently got this problem. I was driving to Las Vegas and started hearing the whistle in the last half hour of the drive while going 75+ MPH. And this is the 3rd time I've taken my car there. The first 2 times was OK, with no whistling. Damn I hope someone figures out how to fix this problem cuz i really doubt the dealership will fix it if they cant hear it.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah. I told the dealer about it once. Could not replicate at all. Just a waste of time... I thought about filling a pool with WD40 and driving my car into it. That mite get rid of all the noises and squeaks from my car.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member

I had the whistle in the sunroof. In my case you could see from the outside that the sunroof was not closing flush or even with the rear moonroof, creating a small gap between the glass and the rubber seal at the very rear of the front sunroof.

I would notice the whistle most when there was a strong cross wind or if I opened and then shut the sunroof while at highway speeds (>60mph). I would usually be ok if the sunroof was shut prior to driving on the highway. Shutting the screen would dampen, but not eliminate the noise.

Here's what to do:
1: if it happens while driving, crack one of your windows and then (re)shut the sunroof. Then roll your window back up. This will cause the sunroof to shut a little tighter. If this doesn't help just reach out of the car and push the sunroof down with you're hand. -It's only a temp solution.

2: When you have some time to look at the sunroof, there should be a screw on each side of the sunroof towards the rear. These are # 25 Torx screws. These screws serve as an adjustment to allow about 0.25" of up/down movement. With the sunroof in the up (not back) position, loosen these screws. Now with the screws loosened, hold down on the sunroof and (re)tighten the screws fairly tightly. This should adjust the sunroof to the tightest position and hopefully solve the whistle problem.

Note: There are actually 3 screws on each side, adjusting the frontmost screws ( still on the sunroof) may help if you are having problems with the wind screen not closing all the way.

If you're like me this may come back a couple times after a few thousand miles. Perhaps some superglue might prevent the sunroof from reverting to its noisy poisition.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member

I just found out that in addition to having to initialize the driver and passenger side windows the sunroof can be (needs to be) initialized too. The instructions were in the FAQ, but I missed them the first time through.

I was able to reinitialize my sunroof and got the extra 1/8th of an inch of closure I needed to resolve the problem permanently. This is probably easier than adjusting the glass (especially for those without a good torx set).

So if you're sunroof has a whistle, don't pass up this basic step.

-Blake
Old 08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes our tC will make very loud wind noise at highway spped. I have to open and reClose the Roof to make it go away, sometimes.

The Roof is one of the Weak Links in a tC IMHO. The Floor Mats Suck also, but for a $16,500 Car you can't expect Perfection.

My S2000 has a lot of wind Noise also, but I guess you should expect that with a Light Weight Roadster/Convertable. At least the Scion has a decent Stereo to help drown out the Wind Noise.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

I should have captured some pics from the outside that show the sunroof not closing all the way. Does your glass sunroof panel close flush with the other glass panels?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sometimes we also have to hold down the wind deflector to get the roof to shut.

Metro Toyota in Kalamazoo has tried to fix our Sunroof Twice and the Problem just returns.

It must be a design flaw and we will have to live with it.

I'll take a look outside to see how far off the rear of the roof is next time she starts to sing.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

When i took my car in to get serviced, they gave me a free car wash. When i was driving home i noticed a LOUD A$$ noise coming from the sunroof. It turns out that the air-dry system that they use from the car wash ripped off the weather stripping from where the windshield and sunroof meet. I got it fixed, but i still do hear a noise. Not as loud as it was before though.

Quick Reply: MOONROOF WHISTLE