Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

MOONROOF WHISTLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member

My moonroof started whisteling about 1000 miles ago. It whisteles at about 70mph. I tried hitting the air recirculation button, and that made the volume of the whistle decrease. I opened the window, opened the moonroof, then closed it all the way, holding the button of 5 seconds to reinitialize the system, closed the window, and that seemed to reduce the soiund. I just took my car into the dealer for the 30,000 mile maintenance., and mentioned the noise to the them, sugguesting that the sunroof needed to be tightened on it's tracks. The determined that they could hear the noise, but would need to investigate further, to the tune of $80 as it would not be covered by Toyota because "Toyota only covers the first 12 months of ownership for adjustments to be made under warrantee" (and I bought the car from the same dealership 4/05). Is this true? This seems like it should be covered. I already brought the car in last summer because my sunroof wouldn't close, and the dealership put grease on the tracks, and I didn't get charged for that.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its not a good idea to drive highway speeds with the sunroof open, when you look up it shakes considerably, especially on windy days, perhaps this may be causing the problem of whistling. I must say the sunroof is maybe the only thing i dont particularly like about the tc.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not only is it not a good idea to drive highway speeds with the sunroof open, the manual specifically says not to. Any speeds over 50-55 mph I believe were the limits set and I know if I get near 50, I can hear the wind resistance.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, it whistles when it is closed. I know not to open it at speed.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Mine dooes not whistle, I honetly am shocked, only thing in my car that does not make a noise it shouldnt.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member

PFR,

I had the same problem (as i posted previously). It took me a while to have it fixed because everytime i brought it to the dealership for an oil change, i was in a hurry to leave and they needed to test the car.

To cut the story short, it took me till my 30K mile check up before i let them do a diagnostic for my Tc. i know your warranty should cover you within 3 years or 36K miles.

I had to bring my car back 4 times before it finally got fixed. In their first attempt they did the same thing "re-lube" the tracks...didnt work. second, they adjusted the motor...still was whistling, but a little slighter. On my third attempt they told me to come but they cancelled. So technically, i had three attempts...one more it would be qualified as a lemon.

I had no intentions of filing a lemon, i love the Tc. But as I spoke to the service guy saying i was tired of it, going back for a 4th time, i asked "can you really fix this? becuase i think its helpless" probably thinking i would lemon the car, (or maybe not) he said for me to come in and he would replace the whole assembly...which he did. the assembly looks different, but as long as the whistle is gone.

it was good as new. it closed so tight that when you were on the freeway and close it, your ears would pop (just like when it was new).

So i think you have the right to have that fixed, cause you paid for the warranty. and i think only by replacing it would it get fixed. so good luck
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PFRboy
My moonroof started whisteling about 1000 miles ago. It whisteles at about 70mph. I tried hitting the air recirculation button, and that made the volume of the whistle decrease. I opened the window, opened the moonroof, then closed it all the way, holding the button of 5 seconds to reinitialize the system, closed the window, and that seemed to reduce the soiund. I just took my car into the dealer for the 30,000 mile maintenance., and mentioned the noise to the them, sugguesting that the sunroof needed to be tightened on it's tracks. The determined that they could hear the noise, but would need to investigate further, to the tune of $80 as it would not be covered by Toyota because "Toyota only covers the first 12 months of ownership for adjustments to be made under warrantee" (and I bought the car from the same dealership 4/05). Is this true? This seems like it should be covered. I already brought the car in last summer because my sunroof wouldn't close, and the dealership put grease on the tracks, and I didn't get charged for that.
Um, your warranty covers everything 3 years/36k miles. Sounds like another dealer that's lying to you. Seems to be common place among Toyota dealers to lie to customers over and over about warranty. Find another dealer.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uhhuh_777
PFR,

he said for me to come in and he would replace the whole assembly...which he did. the assembly looks different, but as long as the whistle is gone.

it was good as new. it closed so tight that when you were on the freeway and close it, your ears would pop (just like when it was new).

So i think you have the right to have that fixed, cause you paid for the warranty. and i think only by replacing it would it get fixed. so good luck
Yes for 06 and up, they changed the drive motor and other components of the sunroof. That's why replacing it all, fixed the noise.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member

have there been any update son this topic. I am experiencing the same issue. However, when I ask some of my friends (2 of them 05 tC owners and 1 of them has an 06 tC) only my friend who has the 06 experiences the same problem.
Any suggestions?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Someone found a fix too...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=178661
Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Sifu
I tried that before I brought it to the dealer. It didn't help. There seems to be something else wrong. The moonroof motor itself seems to be too weak to make the moonroof seal properly. In fact, when I shut the driver's door when stepping out of the car, I can see the sunroof jump slightly, due to the pressure inside the car.
I have a appointment to finally get the entire roof assembly replaced... we will see if they try and charge me for it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it's still under warranty I don't see why they would charge? Don't forget if they're keeping it overnight to have them get you a donor car. You shouldn't have to pay for your car too, just gas.

GL...
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 AM

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by blakerwry
I just found out that in addition to having to initialize the driver and passenger side windows the sunroof can be (needs to be) initialized too. The instructions were in the FAQ, but I missed them the first time through.

I was able to reinitialize my sunroof and got the extra 1/8th of an inch of closure I needed to resolve the problem permanently. This is probably easier than adjusting the glass (especially for those without a good torx set).

So if you're sunroof has a whistle, don't pass up this basic step.

-Blake
Thank you! My car was whistling for 5,000 miles and the dealership told me I would have to replace the whole assembly for $2000. Its actually in the owners manual. I'm deffinately reporting the dealership. Thanks again for your post. I love my car again.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM

A lot of the tC's came into the shop I used to work at for the moon roof whistle. Sometimes the weatherstrip was coming off ,others it was just a windy day, sometimes it needed a whole new roof. There hasn't been any recall on it, you do have to understand the the top half of the car is 4 pieces of glass, so of course it isn't going to be as quite as a car with a windshield, metal, and a back window! Good luck to ya, hopefully you can get it figured out, either way your car should still be under warranty!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, I have the solution to your whistle. I too had a whistle. Tell your dealer to tighten your sunroof cable. Whistle gone.