Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Well lately for some reason I've been shifting into 2nd instead of 4th on occasion. Whether it be from being too tired to pay attention or just a mis shift. It's at such low rps where I'm WELL below the redline and no damage is done. I've never grinded a gear or missed gears on 2 diff Mitsu's, which have the worst trannies of them all. But the gear shifter tends to go into second if you pull it straight back. You need to almost guide it over to 4th and sometimes it becomes annoying. If I'm focused on shifting I'm ok, but thw TWM shifter is a lil iffy to me right now.

Needless to say... Here's the horrific thing that happened to my engine today... I'm racing tomorrow night and I haven't really opened it up since the Alphawerks header was installed. So needless to say I have an open 3-lane wide strip that an on-ramp led me to. There was no traffic, nothing... So I gun it from 40 in 2nd gear, the up to 3rd, take third to about 6k then go to drop it into 4th then BANG. I slammed it into second and as soon as I heard the engine roar I depressed the clutch and backed off. I looked at my Apexi RSM and checked what the log showed for peak rpm... And the tC hit 7897RPMS!!!! Almost 8k and the motor still runs fine, smooth idle, still pulls, the exhaust note hasn't changed, and there's no vibrations.

Needless to say I will be carefully watching the tendencies to the shifter and see if there's anyway to have it tend to go to the right instead of the left. I race cars a lot (A 2002 Civic Turbo (sold), my Evo(recently sold), and my Skyline(secrect project) and never has this happened to me.

Hopefully no one else goes through this, and if you do, make sure you're quick to respond to the engine soaring high. I know of someone who over rev'd his K20 motor and blew it apart. I'm glad to see this engine take that and not hiccup....

Ok end rant.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've never had trouble getting it in the right gear...although i have grinded 2nd and reverse a couple of times.

this is my first stick car. it's a toyota engine...it can take it
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah if it would have broken, it would have happened at that instant. I'm just suprised at how well a 2.4L motor took that high of a rev.

I think if the motor were de-stroked to a 2.2L and built up, you could easily rev that thing to 7500-8k with no issues. Of course you'd need a lot more than a built motor but you get the idea...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id still worry about any possible damage you may have done to your valvetrain - may not be readily apparent now, but it would be a good idea to have it checked. Its prob fine, but just incase...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have had the same issue before with my twm short shifter going 3rd to 2nd and my rsm says 8034 for the highest rpm it has hit also for my g's it is 1.09 to the right when i took a hard left turn going about 65 it was a wide road with not trafic so it was realy fun didnt think the tc would hit that high and i kept in controll of the car for the whole turn but my engine is fine it still runs realy smooth and i checked the oil last time a changed it and didnt see any thing in it that i should worry about i also broke open the oil filter and it was all good to no metal shavings or any thing noticable
Old 06-08-2005, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(sigh)
Old 06-08-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
i have had the same issue before with my twm short shifter going 3rd to 2nd and my rsm says 8034 for the highest rpm it has hit also for my g's it is 1.09 to the right when i took a hard left turn going about 65 it was a wide road with not trafic so it was realy fun didnt think the tc would hit that high and i kept in controll of the car for the whole turn but my engine is fine it still runs realy smooth and i checked the oil last time a changed it and didnt see any thing in it that i should worry about i also broke open the oil filter and it was all good to no metal shavings or any thing noticable
You think we should mention this to them?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ouch...i've over- revved once coming from 4th down to 3rd and BANG!..and i shoved the clutch down and saved it from a more horrible mess thank God....but in the regular shift pattern..i only missed 4th the day i got my car...i shifted to 2nd..
Old 06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive yet to misshift.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
Yeah if it would have broken, it would have happened at that instant. I'm just suprised at how well a 2.4L motor took that high of a rev.

I think if the motor were de-stroked to a 2.2L and built up, you could easily rev that thing to 7500-8k with no issues. Of course you'd need a lot more than a built motor but you get the idea...
I don't know a lot about what the internals are made out of..but granted if we got the lightest internals available or "would be available" ...how much higher could one predict we could rev to safely?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
You think we should mention this to them?
to twm or toyota???? i have only had it once and i think it was me trying to slam it in to 4th and i pulled over towords me i havent had it since now that im more carefull with it but i thought the rev limiter wouldnt let it go this high i think they might as well not have put it on if it doesnt work that well
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

every so often i have that same problem im shifting into 4th and i go into second,
Old 06-08-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

t but i thought the rev limiter wouldnt let it go this high i think they might as well not have put it on if it doesnt work that well
Rev Limiter will disable ignition over a certain RPM. This will have zero effect on a downshifted-geardriven over-rev. The engine won't be powered but will still spin very fast.

You guys DO realize that 6K RPM is equal to 100 revolutions PER SECOND...right??
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member

haha my first week of driving stick.. i kept shifting from 2nd to 5th.. and i thought i got jipped cuz my car was slow
Old 06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think i have problem shifting from 3rd to 4th. i think the tranny is ok all around.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tsixtysix
haha my first week of driving stick.. i kept shifting from 2nd to 5th.. and i thought i got jipped cuz my car was slow
LOL funny
Old 06-08-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tsixtysix
Aye, same here. I learned on a 240SX, and there were times when I just thought the car is awfully slow...

"Oh man, this thing really doesn't have much pull after 2nd gear huh. "

Ah... Good times
Old 06-08-2005, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

i have done that twice before the shortshifter. really scared me. engine was fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol i saw that k20 that spit up its pistons and vavles that ____ was nasty as hell looking. but funny hahhaha stupid lil kid. good thing i i didnt get a shortshifter.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats never happened to me. I have B&M so its a little different. I also have a weird technique of twisting my arm counterclockwise so that my palm faces to the right when i shift from 3-4. IMO doing this will pull the shifter straight down verses the regular grip that pulls the shifter down at an angle.

Quick Reply: More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...