Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
ive yet to misshift.
Congratulations on being a big freakin deal

This indicates to me one of the hazards of the short shifter... I don't think I'll be getting one now, if it potentially increases the chance for misshifts.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
thats never happened to me. I have B&M so its a little different. I also have a weird technique of twisting my arm counterclockwise so that my palm faces to the right when i shift from 3-4. IMO doing this will pull the shifter straight down verses the regular grip that pulls the shifter down at an angle.
ill have to try this out
Old 06-08-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tranny pulls straight back 3rd to 4th. It takes a conscious effort to go to downshift to 2nd from 3rd in my car. Sorry to hear about the problems, but I doubt it's a widespread issue.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've yet to shift from third to second but I have grinded second gear a few times..
Old 06-08-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait a minute... doesnt our car have a rev limiter??? When does that kick in... i thought it kicked in at like 6500 or soo.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by utatc7218
Wait a minute... doesnt our car have a rev limiter??? When does that kick in... i thought it kicked in at like 6500 or soo.
Rev limiters only kick in during acceleration. It's not gonna do squat if you mis-shift, at that point it's all mechanical.

With you guys and your short shifters, did you reinstall the spring that keeps the stick straight while not in gear, you might want to adjust that. It might give it the tendency to lean left.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have grinded 3rd gear a few times coming from second, but that was my mistake trying to feather the clutch incorrectly. I hope you dont run into problems later on down the road.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

people that think these things are race cars
Old 06-08-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
I race cars a lot (A 2002 Civic Turbo (sold), my Evo(recently sold), and my Skyline(secrect project) and never has this happened to me.
You have a Skyline? Can I drive it? J/K. I love Skylines!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
thats never happened to me. I have B&M so its a little different. I also have a weird technique of twisting my arm counterclockwise so that my palm faces to the right when i shift from 3-4. IMO doing this will pull the shifter straight down verses the regular grip that pulls the shifter down at an angle.
Ive heard that this is the correct way to shift for this very reason. Im sure if you can do this for awhile its pretty easy but it is akward at first.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Originally Posted by tyscion
Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
I race cars a lot (A 2002 Civic Turbo (sold), my Evo(recently sold), and my Skyline(secrect project) and never has this happened to me.
You have a Skyline? Can I drive it? J/K. I love Skylines!
It's a 1997 GTR M-Spec Nur edition. Nice machine... not allowed to EVER put it on the streets because of the legal issues we had to go through to get it. Who knows when it will be raced...

I didn't make this post to scare people away from TWM. I love the shifter and am still keeping it in for now. I'll eventually check the adjustments. I raced at the track tonight and did ok, considering I was scared to shift really quick haha...

It was raining when I got to the line (I was the last to race), I have a FULL body kit and a heavy ___ Kaminari wing, stock tires up front (18s in the back), and a custom system in the trunk. With just a muffler, Alphawerks header, and TWM shifter, I ran a 15.9 @ 88.9. I was scared to shift quickly and off the line I had ZERO grip.

I think with something to control the horrible wheel hop, and give more grip, with more aggressive shifting I could easily run a 15.6-15.7 with all the mods that are slowing my car down.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was raining and they let you drag...thats sounds like some BS to me. They closed the track last time that happened where i live.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rev limiter will stop the rpms while it is constantly in gear. If you shift, however, the cpu doesn't have the foresight to know if you are shifting from 4th to 5th or 4th to 2nd, so potentially you can shift down and high-rev the engine above normal redline. It's usually no big deal unless you are racing or winding the rpm's through all the gears and then mis-shift down or you are rolling in 5th and try to downshift to 4th and hit 2nd instead. Anyone who has seen the video where the guy blows his engine while his friend is videotaping has seen an example of this. "what was that??? was that your engine?" classic
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by metalranger33
it was raining and they let you drag...thats sounds like some BS to me. They closed the track last time that happened where i live.
I was on the tree when it started to rain. The count down already began as it started to pick up.

I wouldn't BS about rain as an excuse for anything. The car performed as it did, and I said what the numbers were. I was the last to race it tonight. Next time, hopefully I'll have more practice and traction and it won't be so much of an issue.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I grind 2nd alot more since I put in the short shifter, just have to be a bit more aware of my shifts now.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have done that. 3rd shift into 2nd. Not on the tC. (It's an auto ) But yea, toyota engines can take it.

That's not really where I thought the story was going though. I thought you blew up the motor driving normally, lol.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dsmith5237
The rev limiter will stop the rpms while it is constantly in gear. If you shift, however, the cpu doesn't have the foresight to know if you are shifting from 4th to 5th or 4th to 2nd, so potentially you can shift down and high-rev the engine above normal redline. It's usually no big deal unless you are racing or winding the rpm's through all the gears and then mis-shift down or you are rolling in 5th and try to downshift to 4th and hit 2nd instead. Anyone who has seen the video where the guy blows his engine while his friend is videotaping has seen an example of this. "what was that??? was that your engine?" classic
Well, the main reason why the rev limiter doesn't prevent such an accident from occuring is because of how it works. It cuts fuel into the engine....but if you shifted into a lower gear, it can't exactly slow down the tire speed, so as a result cutting the fuel to the engine won't do any good in preventing that.

And to the people who misshift, how do you hold the shifter? Almost all of the cases I've heard of, they "pistol grip" the shifter. The proper way is to have palms facing down, so your hand is on top, not like holding a shifter like if you were holding a gun. Shifting from 3rd to 4th is just so much easier that way
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well lets hope there won't be any wrong with your car in a few years down the road after what happened XD
Old 06-11-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SilverRSXJezus
It cuts fuel into the engine..
Wrong...

The computer disables the ignition (spark).
Old 06-11-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lonely Raven
(sigh)
:Bigger sigh:

Quick Reply: More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...