Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the fuel shut off should have kicked in unless you have changed it. Is that even possible?
Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

taken from wikipedia, on Toyota engines: 2ZZ-GE

"The Toyota ECU electronicly limits RPMs (through fuel and/or spark cut) to ~8200 - it is impossible to "over-rev" the engine with the throttle alone, a downshift from a higher gear is required."

It can be both.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Yeah if it would have broken, it would have happened at that instant. I'm just suprised at how well a 2.4L motor took that high of a rev.

I think if the motor were de-stroked to a 2.2L and built up, you could easily rev that thing to 7500-8k with no issues. Of course you'd need a lot more than a built motor but you get the idea...
No offense, but you guys are assuming WAY too much. You think that just because the engine doesn't show any signs of damage right away that none has been done? Well perhaps...

But I submit the following as an example: Many second-gen BMW M3 owners have executed the "money shift" and destroyed their engines after revving to 8200 rpm or so (apparently this is easy to do on M3's - the tranny is so smooth that you can shift into any gear at any speed, i.e. downshift from 5th to 2nd at 100 mph, from what I've HEARD). In many of these cases no damage was readily apparent for 10's of thousands of miles. However, damage was done to the valvetrain which resulted in burnt valves. Eventually one or more cylinders would be starved of oil and the engine would suffer catastrophic failure. I've seen photos of M3 engines with holes in the side of the block where the rod bit down after being thrown.

So what's my point? Don't take anything for granted. Don't get too comfortable (and sloppy). I will concede that Toyota makes damn good engines, but if $9,000 bimmer motors can suffer death by down-shift, then I wouldn't ASSUME that our little camry motors will be fine after seeing 8k on the tach.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default shifting

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
ive yet to misshift.
I've been driving sticks all my life and still mis-shift sometimes. I think we all miss a gear sometimes, hand is quicker then foot, etc... I like the Toyota's manuals, most the time I just bump the shifter and it falls into place. I think the key is to not think to much when shifting, manuals are made to fall into the correct gear ( in order ) unless your going from like 5th to 3rd or etc...

Not to cause a fight, but to say you never misshifted , hard to beleive.

jjp
Old 07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive yet to misshift.
Me too... <insert knock on wood smiley>
Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: shifting

Originally Posted by jjp735i
ive yet to misshift.
I've been driving sticks all my life and still mis-shift sometimes. I think we all miss a gear sometimes, hand is quicker then foot, etc... I like the Toyota's manuals, most the time I just bump the shifter and it falls into place. I think the key is to not think to much when shifting, manuals are made to fall into the correct gear ( in order ) unless your going from like 5th to 3rd or etc...

Not to cause a fight, but to say you never misshifted , hard to beleive.

jjp
They don't fall into gears, that's why it's called a manual, it goes where you put it. Left, Right, Push, Pull thats not falling into gear.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
thats never happened to me. I have B&M so its a little different. I also have a weird technique of twisting my arm counterclockwise so that my palm faces to the right when i shift from 3-4. IMO doing this will pull the shifter straight down verses the regular grip that pulls the shifter down at an angle.
for some reason i picked that up after i got the short shifter.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happysquirrel... I never said that revving that high on a day to day basis is fine, I was only saying that the stock motor HANDLED that one event where the rpms shot off the map and still ran ok afterwards.

I looked back at this thread after a little incident last night. It was about 3AM and I was on my way home. I was looking to drop it into 4th at 80mph and sure enough my tired butt slammed it into second. The car revved so high it went dead silent. I load up my apexi RSM to show the peak values and sure enough it had hit just under 9800rpms! The motor sill runs perfect and I'll be doing a compression test next week. Im surprised it held that much though. I guess I gotta be a little less tired when I go for the downshift lol. Damn parties (and NO I was not drinking, nor do I smoke).
Old 07-10-2006, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

on my first week of driving stick(4 days ago) i miss shifted going from second to third i went to 1st instead =(, car bugged out but shes fine, im kinda worried since im breaking it in rite now , but so far shes fine
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have always wondered what is the handling power of the tC engine?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My boss had a 88 Mustang that he did alot of mods too. He was racing someone on the "Mount Holly Flats" (thats what we call them...its a strip of highway thats completely flat) and he was drving and was I think in 3rd, and he had the RPMs up to 10K and his engine shut off due to floating valves. Engine was fine after. Checked it, no damage.
In this case, I think it depends on how you take care of your engine. IN some other cases, you could have blown the tranny right on the ground. I once mis shifted from 5th to 2nd, trying to shift to 4th, on my old sunfire. The tranny wasnt that good, and it got caught up shifting, and I was going like 80 I think, and slammed it into 2nd on accident. She sllowed down and then started going. She was fine after that, but made me watch more carefully what gear I try and slam it into.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Happysquirrel... I never said that revving that high on a day to day basis is fine, I was only saying that the stock motor HANDLED that one event where the rpms shot off the map and still ran ok afterwards.

I looked back at this thread after a little incident last night. It was about 3AM and I was on my way home. I was looking to drop it into 4th at 80mph and sure enough my tired butt slammed it into second. The car revved so high it went dead silent. I load up my apexi RSM to show the peak values and sure enough it had hit just under 9800rpms! The motor sill runs perfect and I'll be doing a compression test next week. Im surprised it held that much though. I guess I gotta be a little less tired when I go for the downshift lol. Damn parties (and NO I was not drinking, nor do I smoke).
OVERACHIEVER 8k does'nt sound so bad anymore...

I'm not giving you any odds on 12k
Old 07-13-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

9800 is nuts!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, I did this today too. I was kinda bee-lineing it down a road. I somehow also shifted into second gear when trying to shift into 4th. My tires chirped and the engine revved. Scared the ____ outta myself since I never dit it in my Ford Ranger.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, 9800! You're getting into Indy car territory.

Joe, just so we're clear: I realize that you did it on accident and I wasn't trying to question your driving skill. Also, I wasn't trying to imply that you or anyone else would be doing this on a normal basis.

I also didn't mean to say that the engine would only be at danger if this was done on a normal basis. Just one time could be too much. Like I said, don't assume anything. I'm glad you're going to do a compression test, but even if it passes that with flying colors that's not a guarantee that no damage was done. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you engine is fine.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Snowsk5054
My boss had a 88 Mustang that he did alot of mods too. He was racing someone on the "Mount Holly Flats" (thats what we call them...its a strip of highway thats completely flat) and he was drving and was I think in 3rd, and he had the RPMs up to 10K and his engine shut off due to floating valves. Engine was fine after. Checked it, no damage.
In this case, I think it depends on how you take care of your engine. IN some other cases, you could have blown the tranny right on the ground. I once mis shifted from 5th to 2nd, trying to shift to 4th, on my old sunfire. The tranny wasnt that good, and it got caught up shifting, and I was going like 80 I think, and slammed it into 2nd on accident. She sllowed down and then started going. She was fine after that, but made me watch more carefully what gear I try and slam it into.
keyword alot of mods... tard ___.. prolly built motor... any car with a fully built motor can handle a good amount of beating.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I hit 9800, I'd start seriously thinking about tearing the motor down and having everything checked out before parts started flying out of the block. I'd especially want to have a look at the valves/seats/guides, the tops of the pistons the wrist pins and the con rod length.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well that's what redlines for. a tc wont get there.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FaulknerScion
well that's what redlines for. a tc wont get there.

Old 07-15-2006, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's that face for. you better not look at me like that one more time.. or i will...

Quick Reply: More proof as to how well our motor is built :(...