Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

MUST READ: tC Owner's Manual Cliff Notes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

what is this "under floor storage" bull____ im seeing on all of the stickers for the cars......?.....is it talking about where the spare tire is ?....because the wording in some magazines makes it sound like it's in the backseat area...hmm
Old 04-16-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by W8n4myruca00
what is this "under floor storage" bull____ im seeing on all of the stickers for the cars......?.....is it talking about where the spare tire is ?....because the wording in some magazines makes it sound like it's in the backseat area...hmm
I believe it refers to the trays next to the spare tire.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting
Old 04-30-2005, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC Owner's Manual Cliff Notes (MUST READ)

Originally Posted by Otocan
Well, it's done, had my tC for about 4 days now and I read my novels that came with the car cover to cover, word for word and I found the owner's manual the most interesting. I decided, every time I read something that made me say "hmmm" or "cool" or "yeah, I know *smile*" I wrote it down, plus some nifty know-how at the end, I'd say copy-paste it and print it out and keep it with your owner's manual, it's good stuff :D

pressing unlock on the remote keyless entry and not opening a door within 30 seconds will relock all doors

turn the key once in the drivers side door to unlock only that door, twice within 3 seconds will open all doors simultaniously

the inside door handles can be opened even if the lock ***** are in the lock position

automatic power windows have jam protection and will open halfway if something stops it, or if it recieves a strong impact while closing it will lower regardless

the hatchback is opened by pressing an electronic 3 inch button located above the license plate and will open according to what position the car's door locks are in

the hood has an auxilary catch lever incase of opening accidentally or by malfuncion while vehicle is in motion

the driver's seat has seat position memory for when you load rear passengers or cargo

The driver's head restraint can be adjusted forward and backwards as well as normally up and down

vehicle is equipped with a driver's knee airbag

the vanity mirrors on both visors have a sliding guard rather than a flip guard

the headlights automatically turn off when the car is turned off and drivers side door is opened, and will automatically turn back on when the car is started

high-beams are used by pushing the lever forward, and flashing them by pulling toward you

the interior lights in the vehicle will fade on when a door is opened, and will fade out again after 15 seconds, but will shut off when the ignition is started or all doors are shut and locked

pressing the windshield lever up and releasing it will sweep the windshield once with the wipers

the windshield wipers have two resting positions, one higher up the windshield to prevent being stuck by snow etc and can be moved manually, or will perform it automatically if there is a build up of snow/debris slowing wiper movement

if it's difficult to shift into reverse, shift to neutral, release the clutch and try again (double-clutching)

center console box - to use the upper tray, lift the console lid without touching the release lever

recommended shifting speeds -
1 to 2 or 2 to 1 24kmph(15mph)
2 to 3 or 3 to 2 40kmph(25mph)
3 to 4 or 4 to 3 64kmph(40mph)
4 to 5 or 5 to 4 72kmph(45mph)

maximum allowable gear speeds
1st - 47kmph(29mph)
2nd - 81kmph(50mph)
3rd - 125kmph(77mph)
4th - 172kmph(106mph)

break in period (first 1000 miles)
--avoid full throttle accelleration when starting and driving
--Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles
--do not drive slowly with the manual transmission in a high gear
--do not drive for long periods of time at any single speed, either fast or slow

fuel tank capacity is 55L(14.5 gallons)

maximum total load capacity (combined weight of occupants, cargo and luggage) 392kg (865 lbs)

amount of oil needed to raise oil level from LOW to FULL - approx. 1.0liter (1.1quart)
Oil Capacity - with filter 3.8L(4.0qt) - without filter 3.6L(3.8qt)
recommended oil viscosity - SAE 5W-30
Cooling system capacity - manual transmission 6.8L(7.2qt) - auto 6.7L(7.1qt)
brake fluid type- SAE J1703 or FMVSS No.116 DOT 3
steering fluid type- automatic transmission fluid DEXTRON II or III

stock tire pressure front 220kPa(32psi) - rear 200kPa(29psi) - stock spare 420kPa(60psi)
Great post.

I think the "maximum allowable gear speeds are a little off though. (i think they calculated that going by the redline when you can rev 2 or 3 hundred rpms over it (before you hit the rev limiter.)
Old 05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Tc Oil Filter

Originally Posted by StreetLegal
Does anyone know if the Tc oil filter can be removed easily by hand from underneath the car? Or, is a special tool required to access and remove the oil filter? Thanks.

Regards
the oil filter is reallie easie to access... its right next to the right front tire and can be removed by hand. if you jack it up on the right side, u can easily pop it off...
Old 05-07-2005, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also if it is too difficult to shift in reverse on manual, you can also keep pushing down to reverse and release the clutch slowly intill it slides in... usually the double clutchin wont work the first time.. hey this works for me
Old 05-08-2005, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best way to get into reverse when it is out of sync, is to push in the clutch, shift into 2nd gear and let out the clutch very lightly. Then push in the clutch and shift into reverse. This solution will work everytime.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jeep2tc
i think that the automatic headlight turn-off when the car is off and key removed is a great idea, but maybe i'm just lazy.
Hehe, that was pretty much the only thing I had to brag about with my old 94 Camry DX.

As for the shifting... I've driven the tC (and will hopefully be in possession of one when the dealer gets a new shipment) and find the shifts to be smooth as silk as compared to my deceased camry. That thing fought to keep itself out of reverse. It would also pop into 1st without the clutch on occasion. No clue how it managed that...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member

The "Check Engine" light will come on after a certain # of miles if you haven't reset the light after changing the oil. To reset the light, you have to hold the trip button while turning the key to on, and continue holding until the LED counts down.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good shizzo saved to a txt file
Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all my old cars were manual transmission and the reverse thing was avoided by shifting into 1st then reverse....it just turned into habit with me. Supposedly putting it in another gear first syncros up so it'll slide into reverse....don't know all the mechanics but it worked for me! hope that helps...

-Skizzle-
Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great info...
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

can anyone provide their experience on breaking in the car? i had a few road trips planned that would be about 1000 miles... should i wait til after the 1000 mile mark before taking hte car on any road trips?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member

good info to kno hehe
Old 07-07-2005, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member

Old 07-17-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Also when i went to the dealer last thursday, he showed me that the keys can't be locked in the car,

i was in the driver seat looking at other things and wasn't really paying attention, can somebody clear this up?

i saw him lock the door a couple of times and each time they unlocked themselves.

he was talking right at me and i was answering him but none of it stuck.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think if you have one of the doors open and you try and lock the car they unlock themselves. But you can still lock them in the car...because i think the unlock automatically feature only works if the passenger locks the door with his door open....but if you are on the drivers side and leave your keys on the seat...you can lock the car with the door button and close the door..it will stay locked.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm..... he was locking the driver door and the key was in the ignition in the first position (i was about to check out the sun roofs)................

i think if the key is in the ignition it wont lock them...................i dont know....????
Old 07-24-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those of you who like to listen to good music n your car, this is the most important thing you can do to make your stereo sound better.
hold down your ssp button for a few seconds until it shows u and says "scion tc" use your volume buttons to change it to scion xb or xa whichever you prefer. (have a cd in there that bumps and you will tell the difference) also this is entirely seperate from feel, or hear settings.
your stereo will sound better. i wish everyone was told this when they get the car, because you have to be told in order to know this.
fyi this changes the settings for your speakers, which are programmed differently for the scion models, and they got the programming incorrect for the model names. so you are programming it to the correct setting.
if you havent done this, go to your car and do it right now, and you will be forever happy. this post should be a sticky within itself, since it is such mandatory stereo info.
john
Old 07-25-2005, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i found that out not to long ago..and until you change it to a different setting you will never know how bad the tC setting sounds. I have it on XB SSP FEEL...sounds great!

Quick Reply: MUST READ: tC Owner's Manual Cliff Notes