2005-2010 [ANT10]

n e body work for scion/dealership? Q: Packages

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default n e body work for scion/dealership? Q: Packages

If any of you work for a scion dealership or for anybody who knows about this, i need some info...when buying the car, during financing, they let you have an option of whether you want the factory alarm, lo-jack, paint guard, gap insurance and like pre-paid service or something which increases your car price for about 4-5 thousand dollars...it was told that it comes in a package and that if you wanted it, you'd have to purchase all of those..is that true? or are there several packages that you could choose from?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Those are all dealer dependant....

The fact that you'd have to purchase them all in "A Package" is not a dealer requirement and sound like a gigantic rip off.... I bought an extended warranty for my Xb and a service plan alone.... You can get whatever you want individually.... DO NOT PAY FOR A "PACKAGE"... that is not required and is most likely a dealer rip off deal..
Old 11-19-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it's a rip off, walk away.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anybody think that the gap insurance and prepaid maintenance is worth it?

i believe that the gap insurance cost 600 dollars over a 5 year period and the prepaid maintenance is $595 for 48 months/57,000 miles? (that covers oil filter and change, lubrication of key chassis parts, and a 19-point inspection)

any of these worth it at all?
Old 11-19-2005, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

It's solely a matter of doing the math...

If you are upside down in a loan and are trading in a car that you have more to pay off than it is worth and that is added to the price in which your purchased the Scion.... getting gap insurance is a REALLY good idea....

Add how much the maintenence would cost you if you went to jiffy lube or did it yourself over the same period of time and or miles and see if that is less or more than the dealer price.... then you can see if you want to purchase it our not.

DO NOT BUY INTO a dealer telling you that these all come in a package, as some things are neccesary for some people and forcing them to pay for them.... not good business practice and definately not somewhere where I would purchase a car...
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The pre-paid service isn't really worth the money. Any way you figure it, a basic oil change shouldn't cost you over $30 (and that is high). So no matter if you figure it out based upon time or miles, you are paying more for this pre-paid than if you just took it in and paid out of pocket. Also, by going pre-paid you are stuck with always going to this dealership. So if they don't give you good service, too bad, you still have to come to them if you want your free oil changes.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah we offer all those options individually. I dont know what this package crap is. I have an extended warranty and GAP on my xB. GAP is totally worth it if you are financing the vehicle. Ive had a few cars totaled and what a nightmare that is if you still owe on the loan. My finance manager wrote up my deal and she said, "here are the things you should get. I wont hand you all the other crap I sell people.."
Old 11-19-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got GAP and the warranty.

Scion really lowers the price for the warranty, on most Toyota's we sell it for 2600 (7year 100,000 mile) but with scion I think its like 1300 or something.