Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Is National Tire & Battery (NTB) a Good Place To Replace Car Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

o well get your battery anywhere no good place to replace a battery lol you just buy one
Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Advance Auto Parts install battery and wipers for free.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GammaTNT
Advance Auto Parts install battery and wipers for free.
Do they do this in the parking lot?

Also about to get a battery in the next few days (getting spark plugs tonight after work), is it bad to just get the biggest Duralast battery? Like instead of 600 CCA, why not the 750 or 800 version? I know it is a little more money, but are there any other downsides?

Otherwise I will get the 600 CCA Duralast from Autozone.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, they will do it in the parking lot, So do not go there when raining.
I am not sure about getting higher CCA,
Old 03-04-2010, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Necromancer
Do they do this in the parking lot?

Also about to get a battery in the next few days (getting spark plugs tonight after work), is it bad to just get the biggest Duralast battery? Like instead of 600 CCA, why not the 750 or 800 version? I know it is a little more money, but are there any other downsides?

Otherwise I will get the 600 CCA Duralast from Autozone.
Well I reasoned that the 600CCA was the closest to the stock battery (being 582CCA). The alternator only puts out 30A for charging, even though it supplies 100A for the electrical system directly. Let's say that you run the battery down on a 750 or 800CCA version and need to charge it back up, most likely you're going to need an external charger because charging with the car's alternator at 30A would take a bit of time, driving around. So most likely it never gets fully charged. That was a chance I thought of getting something so massive in there that the car never came with. But with something that is much closer to the stock battery, the charging system would have no problem keeping it fully charged all the time.

The car will start fine at 582CCA (Panasonic factory) so 600 was the closest. Also the 600CCA at autozone is the lightest I found out there, for lead acid batteries when I was doing research. 39.7lbs, didn't want more weight than factory hanging out on the left front end, factory battery is about 40lbs. There's my thinking of what 600CCA would be sufficient.

And I know you were making sure you got that new battery load tested first, dont let the autozone people argue with you, if you see the voltage lower that 11.0V when they test it, get another battery, don't let them talk you into it. I've seen this before. also when you or they tighten down the hold down clamps, don't go extra tight, can crush the battery, just snug enough that it doesn't move. hey glad to help! hope it all works out tomorrow for ya. oh and yeah they can help you put the battery in, or you get a 10mm socket wrench and undo the clamps (negative first, then positive, then the hold down clamps) and do it yourself, they don't care if ya do it yourself right there. Most autozone's are pretty nice about all that.

one more thing, what made you think the original battery was dying? what was it doing?

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 03-04-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: needed to ask a question....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
Well I reasoned that the 600CCA was the closest to the stock battery (being 582CCA). The alternator only puts out 30A for charging, even though it supplies 100A for the electrical system directly. Let's say that you run the battery down on a 750 or 800CCA version and need to charge it back up, most likely you're going to need an external charger because charging with the car's alternator at 30A would take a bit of time, driving around. So most likely it never gets fully charged. That was a chance I thought of getting something so massive in there that the car never came with. But with something that is much closer to the stock battery, the charging system would have no problem keeping it fully charged all the time.

The car will start fine at 582CCA (Panasonic factory) so 600 was the closest. Also the 600CCA at autozone is the lightest I found out there, for lead acid batteries when I was doing research. 39.7lbs, didn't want more weight than factory hanging out on the left front end, factory battery is about 40lbs. There's my thinking of what 600CCA would be sufficient.

And I know you were making sure you got that new battery load tested first, dont let the autozone people argue with you, if you see the voltage lower that 11.0V when they test it, get another battery, don't let them talk you into it. I've seen this before. also when you or they tighten down the hold down clamps, don't go extra tight, can crush the battery, just snug enough that it doesn't move. hey glad to help! hope it all works out tomorrow for ya. oh and yeah they can help you put the battery in, or you get a 10mm socket wrench and undo the clamps (negative first, then positive, then the hold down clamps) and do it yourself, they don't care if ya do it yourself right there. Most autozone's are pretty nice about all that.

one more thing, what made you think the original battery was dying? what was it doing?
Thanks for info. Went to advance last night for spark plugs. Autozone doesn't sell the Denso's. Got 4 Denso's and a spark plug socket. This weekend I'm cleaning the car, filling the washer fluid, and installing the spark plugs. The plugs I think are still original and I got over 75000 miles so it is time for those.

Battery was a thought because it has been 5 years. Don't want to wait til stuck. When it was colder a couple of weeks ago, I could see the headlights dim when starting the car. Last week, it took me 2 key turns to start the car. Maybe moisture on the spark plugs?

I also run a heavy system with 2 big amps, ipod, gps, dvd player. Surprised 5 years and the battery is still pumping the system haha. I will most likely install the battery myself. I don't want others to rush it and don't want them to fry my system.

I also want to clean the battery holder spot of dirt and stuff.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Don't foget to have them take your old battery to recycle it. otherwise you'll have a large chemical storage container sitting around your house. Most places that sell batteries will take the old one for free, and if there's a recycling scrap yard place near you they may even pay you for it. I think I got $18 for two old ones I had lying around.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Don't foget to have them take your old battery to recycle it. otherwise you'll have a large chemical storage container sitting around your house. Most places that sell batteries will take the old one for free, and if there's a recycling scrap yard place near you they may even pay you for it. I think I got $18 for two old ones I had lying around.
I thought that is what the core is for? You get a $12 refund back when you give them your old battery back.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for info. Went to advance last night for spark plugs. Autozone doesn't sell the Denso's. Got 4 Denso's and a spark plug socket. This weekend I'm cleaning the car, filling the washer fluid, and installing the spark plugs. The plugs I think are still original and I got over 75000 miles so it is time for those.

Battery was a thought because it has been 5 years. Don't want to wait til stuck. When it was colder a couple of weeks ago, I could see the headlights dim when starting the car. Last week, it took me 2 key turns to start the car. Maybe moisture on the spark plugs?

I also run a heavy system with 2 big amps, ipod, gps, dvd player. Surprised 5 years and the battery is still pumping the system haha. I will most likely install the battery myself. I don't want others to rush it and don't want them to fry my system.

I also want to clean the battery holder spot of dirt and stuff.
hey is that spark plug socket one with just a rubber washer in it or one like the craftsman i have where the whole thing is a rubber insert? I ask, because a friend had one that had the rubber washer in it, and it was a mess, the plug screwed in fine, but removing the socket, the cheap washer was left behind! lol that wasn't fun..

oh yeah the battery dimming like that is a sure sign it's gone. Most batteries even if they're good quality usually only last at the most 4 years that i've seen.

there is a tool i think it's called a battery terminal cleaner, one part has where you can clean the posts, the other is a wire brush that cleans the insides of the O-shaped battery cable terminals, that usually works for me, got one for like $2

you know what would be cool? is when you take in your old battery to have them load test it just to see what it shows up with. That would be interesting, we know it's probably gone but how much gone.. hmmm..

well glad things are working out for ya!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey is that spark plug socket one with just a rubber washer in it or one like the craftsman i have where the whole thing is a rubber insert? I ask, because a friend had one that had the rubber washer in it, and it was a mess, the plug screwed in fine, but removing the socket, the cheap washer was left behind! lol that wasn't fun..

oh yeah the battery dimming like that is a sure sign it's gone. Most batteries even if they're good quality usually only last at the most 4 years that i've seen.

there is a tool i think it's called a battery terminal cleaner, one part has where you can clean the posts, the other is a wire brush that cleans the insides of the O-shaped battery cable terminals, that usually works for me, got one for like $2

you know what would be cool? is when you take in your old battery to have them load test it just to see what it shows up with. That would be interesting, we know it's probably gone but how much gone.. hmmm..

well glad things are working out for ya!
I think tC's stock battery is the greatest battery ever made LOL. Over 5 years and running. The socket I got has a rubber insert inside. I plan to do that tomorrow or Sunday. I will see about the battery this weekend if I have time. Otherwise I will wait until it gets warmer. Supposed to be 14F tonight LOL.

Did you lower your car with springs? I'm still deciding if it is worth it. My car is stock but I always said that I wanted to get springs and bigger wheels after warranty expired.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member

I highly recommend an Interstate Batteries MTP-24 or MT-24, the only difference is one has a 85 month Warranty, the other a 75 month Warranty. They have the best customer service, and you don't have to keep your receipt, just take the battery in to any Interstate Batteries dealer and they will swap it out if there is ever a problem. I just replaced the OEM Battery in my 2006 tC with an MT-24, and I replaced the OEM Battery in my Challenger with one of their Optima Red Top spiral technology batteries to prevent any leakage (the battery is in the trunk) during hard cornering on track days.

You can't go wrong with an Interstate Batteries SLI battery. For more info:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/Search.aspx/Automotive-Truck/Scion/tC?dsNavigation=N~21-4294492881-4294492880-2147384848

Also, go here and enter in your Zip Code, they will show you your closest dealer. They even have a tool at some called an ED-18 that will tell you whether or not you need to replace your battery, they won't pressure you to buy a new one if there isn't a need:

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...ode=Zip%20Code

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited by VelvetHammer; 03-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 90

700 CCA. Runs great. But now I have an idling issue. Is this normal? Actually I had a big idling issue before I bought it after I installed new Denso spark plugs. Anyone can help?

Battery was disconnected during installation, I know I did a great job, started car up and it worked, went to gym, car was dying at stop lights, I started running them, made a direct path to Advance instead, got new 700 cca battery, asked guy, he said it might be a throttle valve, after getting it installed, the idling is less frequent. Is the battery learning or car learning something? MAF (I don't even know what this means, just saw it mentioned in search)? Ideas?
Old 03-07-2010, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got

700 CCA. Runs great. But now I have an idling issue. Is this normal? Actually I had a big idling issue before I bought it after I installed new Denso spark plugs. Anyone can help?

Battery was disconnected during installation, I know I did a great job, started car up and it worked, went to gym, car was dying at stop lights, I started running them, made a direct path to Advance instead, got new 700 cca battery, asked guy, he said it might be a throttle valve, after getting it installed, the idling is less frequent. Is the battery learning or car learning something? MAF (I don't even know what this means, just saw it mentioned in search)? Ideas?
nope.. it's those denso plugs. This is what I was warning you about before. Got those for my friend (thinking that the Toyota brand plug was the only one from the factory) made his car run like a truck engine (rough, loud, idle wasn't smooth). I went and got the NGK part no 4589, called Laser Iridium. Which is the same ones the factory put in his engine. I posted it in another forum, i think that was your post. have to find the link. But yeah the culprit are those plug, I know people love them, I thought they were junk. I've had NGK before and have never been let down by them, good stuff. And the idling can be different because you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. It's now relearning all the settings. usually about 200 miles or so.

If one day you have a problem you didn't the day before, blame the part you put in. Throttle valve? no i doubt it, replace the plugs and watch the engine purr again! Was this there before you replaced the plugs?

Yeah here it is. NGK part number IFR6T11 and stock number 4589. They're at Advance Auto parts.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Spark-Plug-NGK_15650064-P_960_R|GRPTUNEAMS_775181309___

Congrats on your battery, autocraft is made by Johnson Controls too.

here's the link that shows all of the brands under johnson controls, the only one they didn't have listed was Interstate

http://www.autobatteries.com/brands/index.aspx

Last edited by sciontc_mich; 03-07-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got

i was just looking at that. group size 90 isn't the direct fit that ours is. which is group size 24. the 90 is shorter/smaller. Does it fit the battery tray how about the battery holder?
Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was just looking at that. group size 90 isn't the direct fit that ours is. which is group size 24. the 90 is shorter/smaller. Does it fit the battery tray how about the battery holder?
The battery is fine. Size fits fine. It was actually one of the batteries I was looking at this past week when finally deciding. However, my first pick was a Duralast at Autozone, but after yesterday's close call, Advance was on my way and the easiest to get to. I was literally running at 200 rpm or less at stop lights and people were like WTF is this guy doing?

At one point I was just getting in lanes that had green lights HAHHA even if it wasn't the way I needed to go. I turned into a closed bank, made circles, and then pulled out when the intersection light was green again. Then I went blazing down the highway at like 80mph.

Pretty sure it is the ECU learning again because last night it was idling around 600-700 rpm and not rumbling as much.

I replaced with Denso because it was the same model as the stocks (number and all). Battery is 700 CCA and 875 at 32F. Thing blasts my system like never before.

Feels like I got a new car. Glad I only paid $40 for spark plugs and around $90 for battery. DYI is the way to be!
Old 01-12-2011, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just saw the advertisement on SL for Advance Auto Parts. $40 off $100 order.
$30 off $75 order.
Maybe i should get a AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 24, 700 CCA
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't be cheap go get yellow tops
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dwalkertc
Don't be cheap go get yellow tops
lol why would you say that?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

because people believe whatever marketing ad is on tv.
just like people think Grey Goose is the best vodka.

Anyway, Rocketgyrl(audio expert) said avoid Optima battery at all cost.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114042
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

575 vs 582 will not make one lick of difference that you will see. And CCA's will really only effect you during cold climates anyways.

OP, replacing a battery is easy, almost as easy as starting the car. Take the battery to get it tested if you think at all you're having a battery problem.