Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Need Advice...tC was in a Fender Bender **Updated with PIcs!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need Advice...tC was in a Fender Bender **Updated with PIcs!

Ok so this morning Someone hit the back of my tC. A little ricer Honda stopped in front of me because an oncoming car cut in front of him...so i stopped and the truck behind me didn't see that I was stopped and BAM!. It didnt do much damage, thank god! it just left an outline of his license plate and indented some numbers into my bumper it also took off some paint.
Here is the deal, he doesnt want to claim it to the insurance company because he has a perfect driving record and doesnt want his rates to go up, so he said he will take care of it on his own because he works with two really good body shops, and he said he will hook me up with a rental car. I was like ummm...then he gave me his business card...he is a fleet, lease, and internet sales manager for Volvo.

So my question is...do i let him take care of it, or should i call my insurance company ASAP?

I called and left a message with him at work, I am going to tell him i have a dealer that i would like to have fix it rather then his....so i am going to tell him i will get the estimate and he can cut me the check....what do you think?

BEFORE!!

AFTER!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

NO.... Any responsible adult will realise that mistakes are mistakes and allow insurance to take care of it.

You are MUCH MUCH more protected if you go through yours and his insurance companies... don't wait, and comprimise your ability to later get resolution if he flakes out.

Just call and say you respect his offer, but for your peace of mind, and protection, you'll go through the correct channels.

He made an error, and most probably, can afford to accept responsibilty for it economically. He should have done the right thing and allowed you to take care of it the best and safest way, rather than suggesting a short cut that doesn't protect you and is only to his advantage.

Call your company ASAP and get the process going... it doesn't hurt you at all and will protect you in the way you need.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i agree go through the insurance company!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

if you wanted to get it fixed anyway then you could do it his way, if you want to pocket some cash, then do it the way you have said. because if he doesn't like it your way you could threaten to just file with insurance and his rates would go up.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes claim it. FHL!!, he should have been paying attention. I probably would have called the police just to get an accident report. Although, I hear,sometimes they won't come unless there is an injury. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he already sounds like someone who wants to cut corners to save money. i can only imagine what type of repairs they would do. can someone say duct tape? go through the insurance company!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK! that sounds logical =o) When he calls me back or if he calls me back i will tell him i respect his offer but i want to call the insurance company.

THANKS!

I will keep ya posted!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

happened to me before.. i went with him to his dealership, did the most shotty work imaginable and i had no recourse. GET YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY NOW>
Old 09-12-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe higher rates will teach him not to tailgate.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well...after talking to him when he called me back, i am calling my insurance company. I told him i will go ahead with his idea if he takes it to the dealership of my choice which i know does good work. HE said nanana man i got my guy who works on cars he will come pick up your car on a flatbed and take it to his shop....i said where is his shop...i got no answer he kept changing the subject. I said look i want my car done at this dealer..he said I am not going to pay that much i am trying to keep my costs down...i said ok i will think about it.

I hung up and reported him to the insurance agency =o)

I mean i was going to do the favor of settling outside of the insurance agency for him he could of at least let me pick the dealer....well TO BAD!! it's my tC and i want the job done right!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ good job, you made the right call

he needs to learn his lesson instead of trying to snake his way out and victimizing you
Old 09-13-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice man, dont let people push you around especially when it was their mistake. go get the tC fixed and have her looking as good as new
Old 09-13-2006, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member

Wow, a very similar thing happened to me 3 weeks ago. The guy was merging into my lane, didn't see that I had braked to let a pedestrian cross, and hit me from behind. I have the outline of his license plate in my back bumper. I had a police report written up because he didn't want to go through insurance either since he's gotten a lot of tickets before and being that he's only 19, and his insurance would go way up. So I got it estimated last week at a Toyota/Scion collision center and it came out ~$585. Now he wants to talk to the scion ppl...I think i'll give him 'til the end of this week to pay up before giving it into insurance because I don't want to wait too long or else insurance will be like wtf, why'd it take so long. Does anyone know if this will affect my insurance as well, if they'll want to raise mine even if it wasn't my fault? Oh yeah, and my BRAND new tC was only 8 days old!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend told me to look under the bumper to see if the Foam padding was damaged, i cant see the actual impact point but the foam is cracked/split
Old 09-13-2006, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was rear ended maybe 3 weeks ago..

i just let it go after i checked everything and everything was fine.

if their is internal damage done to your car, go through insuarnce, your rates will not go up..

who cares if he has a perfect record, he made a mistake so he deserves to pay.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

no ur rates will not go up.

i was in an accident about a month ago. i hit a guy, but i was not at fault. i had the right away and he pulled out from his stop sign. UR INSURANCE RATE WILL NOT GO UP!!! my car was totalled (thats y i have a tC now ) my insurance paid off my car.

i now have the tC and my insurance only went up $20 because it is a newer car.

____ wat the guy says, go thru ur insurance. u dont want to take any chances in the long run cause then u'll be screwed.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

he mentioned 2 shops that he works with.. so he probably get's a nice discount... so i dont think he will cut you a check.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

that's nothing, pocket the cash. tell him you'll get an estimate and if he wants to deal outside of insurance to just give it to you in cash, otherwise you'll just do insurance.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Glad you chose the right way... it was looking shady there for a second and now you know you will be taken care of.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something similar happened to me about 5 years ago. A “friend” of mine rear ended my car and we decided to not report it to the cops or the insurance company. His parents owned a body shop so I though everything was going to be taken care of. I brought my car in and they fixed it. When I went to pick up my car, they handed me a bill for around $900 (told me they were giving me a deal cause the actual repair cost was around $2,400)!!!! It took 3 months, small claims court, and a gas station clerk who witnessed the accident to get him to pay for it. Moral of the story….. go through the correct channels because even your “friends” might try to pull one over on you if they think they can get away with it.

Quick Reply: Need Advice...tC was in a Fender Bender **Updated with PIcs!