Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Need car wash tips for the tC

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Need car wash tips for the tC

Sup guys...I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I just need some car wash tips for my BSP tC. What kind of equipment do you guys use? Like liquid soaps? Brand name of the soap? What kind of towels to lather and dry? What brand of wax? Is that Mr. Clean I've been hearing about really good for the car?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 07-09-2005, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK. pay close attention cause this might save your life!! j/k, but seriously, it will make your car shine like a mirror.

Use Meguire soap with quick drying action, to dry the car use terri cloths ONLY.

For wax, get it professionally done, BUT, if you want to get the haze marks from those nasty towels you've been using and a wonderful awesome scratchless shine, USE Meguires Quick Dry WITH Teflon non-stick spray-on wax. Apply it in, then use terri cloths and spread it in a circular motion. let the wax dry like a haze(turns white) then rub it off in a circular motion. this stuff works like a charm. I wouldn't clean my car without it and i highly highly recommend it.

Goodluck washing it, and by the way, Mr. Clean is garbage.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mr. Clean AutoDry is great, just follow the instructions. I love it because it dries without water spots (and on my car spots are very noticable) and I don't have to touch the paint with towels or a water blade.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i second the mr.clean autodry.....its great...quicker to clean the car than manually
Old 07-09-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

using circle motion on wax will cause swirl marks
Old 07-09-2005, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i use meguiras soap because it says that it wont wear off the wax after washing, and its true because i waxed it with meguiras wax and it still has that soft smoothe feeling when you rub your car with your hands even after washing. i use the wax that is a paste because it is a lot more than spray on wax. spray on wax runs very quick. its better if you hand wax your car because it gives it better detail and dont trust those buffers cause they will buff the paint out in a year or two. always use microfiber cloths to wipe your car clean, drying it, waxing it, unless you want those swirley marks. for the interior, i use armor all, (like the picture u see above posted from that other guy) for the windows, windex, and you dont need those special soaps for your carpets if you clean them once in a while with a vacumm. JUST REMEMBER, ALWAYS USE MICROFIBER CLOTHS ON YOUR PAINT!! UNLESS YOU WANT SWIRLEY MARKS.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and ummm... for washing make sure you have a soft cloth to wash your car with soap. i use this type of glove you wear and it is soft and it wont scratch your paint. i bought mine at walmart. everything I bought to help clean my car was from walmart.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member

I do a lot of detailing in general so here's my 2 cents. I will list procedure and then the products I use.

INTERIOR
1) Vacuum
2) Wipe down center console etc w/damp microfiber (no chemicals!)
3) If you have leather (I do on my IS300 & Solara), clean leather and condition
4) Condition dash if needed (but most tC's are really new so don't need it yet). My tC is less than a week old yay!

EXTERIOR - ** ALWAYS DO ONE SECTION AT A TIME **
1) Wash with 2 bucket method (one with soap and the other to rinse out your microfiber). Wash with microfiber mitt/towel/sheepskin thing. Wash wheels separately.
2) Clay bar w/lubricant --- rinse and dry car w/microfiber
3) Cleaner/Polish
4) Hand glaze (mostly for dark colored cars -- you want the "wet" look)
5) Carnauba wax (sealants like Zaino last longer, but make dark colored cars look plastic and doesn't have the depth of shine)
6) Shine tires

Products I use:
1) Wash - Meguire's NXT wash...that purple stuff rocks!
2) Clay - Shining Monkey Clay bar w/D-Spec Detailer Spray Lubricant
3) Either Zymol HD-Cleanse or Shining Monkey Polish
4) Shining Monkey Hand Glaze
5) Either Zymol Premium Japon Carnauba wax or Shining Monkey Carnauba Wax
6) Shining Monkey No Spit Tire Shine
7) Microfibers from Pakshak.com ....none of that cheap microfiber from Walmart/Costco...there are different grades of micro, the cheap China stuff will still scratch your car!

I can go on and on about this, but go to www.autopia.org for all your car detailing questions. Have fun and enjoy! I'm gonna go wash/wax my beater Solara now =)
Old 07-09-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm......a few things to clear up here.....

1) buffers are great to use as long as it's a RANDOM ORBITAL buffer....you could let one of these sit and spin on your paint and it won't burn through....

2)swirl marks aren't caused by any certain type of cloth, they're caused by particles in the cloth dragging across your paint....I've found the best preventive action for this is to use a chenille product for washing and RINSE IT OFF EVERY TIME(before) YOU PUT IT IN THE BUCKET!!! this will take a lot of the dirt off the rag instead of putting it into your clean water....

3)I use a combination of a chamois and a microfiber to dry the car. But remember: DONT drag or wipe, just blot....

4) If, after washing, you run your hand across your car and the finish doesn't feel smooth as glass, you need to use some detailing clay. It will lift all the embedded particles out of your clearcoat(yes,it's safe for the paint).

5) using a circular motion while waxing WILL NOT produce swirl marks unless you don't have a clean applicator or a clean car....however, when washing, you shouldn't use circular motion because the risk of swirl marks....flow your motion with the lines of the car to decrease the notability of any swirl marks produced...

6) don't use any spray waxes, don't use combination products(wash/wax in one bottle), don't use dishwashing liquid (unless you're doing primary zaino treatment)...

The stuff I use is as follows and in order:

1)Wash with Blue Coral car wash and a Chenille mit
2)dry with a Mocrofiber and an Aquadry
3)Meguiars Detailing Claybar if needed
4)apply Meguiars step 1 Paint Cleaner with random orbital buffer and terry bonnet, buff with microfiber. (this step cleans the paint thoroughly)
5)apply Meguiars step 2 Paint Polish same application as above (this step helps remove paint swirl marks)
6)apply Meguiars step 3 Carnauba Wax same application as previous two steps (this step protects the paint and clearcoat)

all done!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey ravenette. i checked out pakshak.com
id like to know how many ultra fine microfiber cloths are in one pack? im thinking of buying em. but how many in a pack?
Old 07-09-2005, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by B1uEsC1uEs
hey ravenette. i checked out pakshak.com
id like to know how many ultra fine microfiber cloths are in one pack? im thinking of buying em. but how many in a pack?
it's usually ONE microfiber for that price ($7?) unless it specifically says 3-pack or multipack ones. Yes REAL microfibers are more expensive, but definitely worth the money. I have 4-5 waffle weaves to dry cars (you only need 1-2 to completely dry your car) and like 10 Ultra-Plush microfibers to wax/buff. I also designate 1 ultra-plush mf to do the actual car washing...I don't use the sponge thing, but the sheepskin thing works well too.

Remember never put fabric softener when washing your microfibers. I don't even use soap...just warm water and everything comes right off =)
Old 07-09-2005, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW...thanks everyone for all the car wash tips! I greatly appreciate it...now it gave me some direction and knowledge on how to wash a new car properly and what kind of products to use. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I third the AutoDry system...the less work I have to do and the less I have to touch the car with rags the better off I am, I think.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

If you have a white/silver car, you might get away with the Mr.Clean stuff...otherwise, don't try it on a black/darkblue car. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member

Don't listen to these other clowns. Follow the instructions from the Zaino Bros and you'll be infinately happy. (Their products are inexpensive too)

http://www.zainobros.com

# Wash the tires and wheels first. If you wash the car body first, the water will dry and spot your car before you can finish washing the tires and wheels. Do not use the same wash water on your car's paint as you do your tires and wheels. Throw it out and refill your bucket.

# Mix one cap full of Z-7™ Show Car Wash per gallon of water in a clean wash bucket.

# Make sure your car is cool. If possible, work in the shade. A hot surface causes the wash and rinse water to evaporate too quickly, increasing the likelihood of water spotting.

# Start by thoroughly wetting the car's finish with a medium spray of water to remove loose grit and surface dirt. One trick is to park on a slight incline. This allows rinse water to run off moldings, trim, and recessed areas better.

# Use only 100% cotton, made in the USA towels. Synthetic (flat sided) sponges and wash cloths can trap dirt, grit, and grime on the surface, which can scratch your car's paint.

# Start washing from the top down and rinse the car often. Frequent rinsing is important if you are washing on a warm day. Do not allow the soapy water to dry on your paint.

# Use a final rinse of free-flowing water (nozzle off the hose) allowing the water to sheet off the car.

# One 16 ounce bottle of Z-7™ Show Car Wash will wash approximately 12 mid-size cars.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I Second Zaino
Old 07-10-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i only use meguiars waxes.
megs deep crystal soap
clay magic clay bar
Klasse all in one sealant
megs NXT tech wax
megs deep crystal pure carnuba
megs NXT speed detailer

only use microfiber! and good microfiber too!!! enjoy the pics

Old 07-10-2005, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again for the tips... but damn xnevergiveinx...your car is pretty clean. BUT where is that tire reflection coming from your bottom right side door? Is that from your front tires?
Old 07-10-2005, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

huh, thats the first time i noticed that. it's from the outermost edge of the tire, it kind of makes it a prism type of deal because of the odd angle.

too bad my car is all orange peal. oh well, you get what you pay for. good luck with your car!

Quick Reply: Need car wash tips for the tC