Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Need help: remote start not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 AM

Default Need help: remote start not working

I have a 07 Scion TC manual transmission. I hooked up a viper remote start System. everything is working except remote start... system reacts to all the buttons and sends signal... I think the problem is the way I have the wire hooked up to the starter.

the harness on this unit only has one output for the starter wife, which I tapped into the black wire on the ignition harness. been doing research and it sounds like there should be another wire for the starter. I am stumped on this one, any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You do know that our cars require the key (chip) to be present in order to start correct? Your vague question suggests you aren't familiar with what you are doing and if that's the case you better quit while you are ahead and pay someone to finish the job the right way.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TTCCC
You do know that our cars require the key (chip) to be present in order to start correct? Your vague question suggests you aren't familiar with what you are doing and if that's the case you better quit while you are ahead and pay someone to finish the job the right way.
I am well aware of the immobilizer. my question has to do with the wiring of the starting wire. my remote start unit has one 12v wire going to the starting wire on the ignition harness. is there any other wire that needs to be connected to the starting system? everything works except the the starter doesn't engage. I am holding the clutch pedal down so that isn't the problem. my problem lies in power not going to the starter itself, everything else works
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaytcscion
I am well aware of the immobilizer. my question has to do with the wiring of the starting wire. my remote start unit has one 12v wire going to the starting wire on the ignition harness. is there any other wire that needs to be connected to the starting system? everything works except the the starter doesn't engage. I am holding the clutch pedal down so that isn't the problem. my problem lies in power not going to the starter itself, everything else works
I think there is a few wiring harness write ups in the DIY sections. Not sure if it will help but worth a shot.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What viper did you get? I installed 5704 in my wife's xB a few months ago. Took me 3 days to get the remote start to work right. What message do you get when trying to use rs?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Drey
What viper did you get? I installed 5704 in my wife's xB a few months ago. Took me 3 days to get the remote start to work right. What message do you get when trying to use rs?
I got the viper 4103XV, it was cheap on eBay
I'm getting low voltage or no rpm message on the diagnostic, it's read on the tach wire. how'd did you wire your starter?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out the12volts.com Those guys will point you to right direction.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Drey
Check out the12volts.com Those guys will point you to right direction.
thanks. this is the question I asked on 12volt.com, in case someone on here also comes across it:

Hi, first post here.

I have a 07 scion tc manual transmission.
I bought the VIPER 4103XV and installed it. I hooked up everything. the lock, unlock work and the unit also sends signal to remote start. the problem is, my starter does not crank. it's not the clutch problem bc I am holding it down and still not working.

I have the 12v starter wire from the viper unit spliced into the starter wire on the ignition. harness. the viper only came with one starter wire, (I've seen other vipers with 2 starter wires). the unit has an antigrind wire that I did not hook up. is there something I missed with the starter wire? Everything works except my starter cranking, I feel like I have to so something else with the starter wire instead of having it directly spliced into the starter wire in the ignition harness.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Drey, thanks for suggesting the12volt.com. got a reply within an hour with accurate info. my remote starter works great now. our tc's have 2 starter wires at the ignition harness. with remote starters with only one starting wire, you need to splice that wire into both of the starter wires on the ignition harness (black and green).
I hope this helps someone out in the future.