2005-2010 [ANT10]

new car smell????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Toji
IS THERE ANY products that will make the car smell like its original car smell?
my cars smells like in and out : /
spray some FEBREEZE then thats it will a new car smell over and over again... like i do.....
Old 05-02-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kinda of febreeze do you use? Is there an un-scented one? I would think if you used a scented one that will mask the new car smell
Old 05-02-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all people ride in my tC never complain anything they like the new car smell hehe!! including girls!!!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scoobyroo2002
What kinda of febreeze do you use? Is there an un-scented one? I would think if you used a scented one that will mask the new car smell
ill check... send you some name of the febreeze i use later! peace!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by epitek
bump. again, i ask why people are so inclined to save that new car smell? its just plastic and glue. get a can of elmers and leave it open over night and you'll get that "new" car smell again.

Elmers glue comes in can's? Really? i always thought it was a squeeze bottle.
elmer's rubber cement does.

again... no one can explain to me why they want that new car smell so badly... *sigh. i'm just waiting for someone to rip on me now. this is probably the fourth time i've asked.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got mine July 8th and I always have the windows down... Still get compliments on the new car smell!
Old 05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump. again, i ask why people are so inclined to save that new car smell? its just plastic and glue. get a can of elmers and leave it open over night and you'll get that "new" car smell again.

again... no one can explain to me why they want that new car smell so badly... *sigh. i'm just waiting for someone to rip on me now. this is probably the fourth time i've asked.

I think it has more to do with the owner of the car. Some people like the new car smell because it's an accomplishment and a sign they bought a brand new car. Other people dont care about new car smell because to them it's just another car. Maybe that's why. some people want their new car smell to last longer because they always want there car to be new.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My thoughts exactly. Ive never had a new car, ive had 4 used but this is my first new car. So i like it since ive never had that smell in my car B4
Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me too. This if my first brand new car, so i am trying to savor the smell. I know it wont last forever but i can try and pro-long it
Old 05-02-2005, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member

I too would like to know what kind of Febreeze you use.
Has anyone smelled the "New Car" scent by Little Tree? I have not smelled it, but it looks interesting. Or maybe the LiquidAire thing, also made by Little Tree?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asianstyler
I too would like to know what kind of Febreeze you use.
Has anyone smelled the "New Car" scent by Little Tree? I have not smelled it, but it looks interesting. Or maybe the LiquidAire thing, also made by Little Tree?

I tried that NEW CAR one before...it smells like a girls perfume...i threw it out of my car right away It's not even close to a new car smell. Liars
Old 05-02-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Snuggle dryer sheets in the cabin filter, viola, new car smell....

-THE DON
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc313
ill check... send you some name of the febreeze i use later! peace!
well i use the FEBREEZE MEADOWS & SCENT there is nothing change.....still new car smell to me
Old 05-02-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it has more to do with the owner of the car. Some people like the new car smell because it's an accomplishment and a sign they bought a brand new car. Other people dont care about new car smell because to them it's just another car. Maybe that's why. some people want their new car smell to last longer because they always want there car to be new.
i guess i can accept that reason. this is my first new car also, but unlikely everyone else, im trying to get rid of the new car smell (and have succeed). i wish i knew ahead of time, and packaged it, and sold it to you guys as "geniune scion new car freshener". and the fine print would probably read (instantly adds +4bhp.)
Old 05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got an open pack of Gonish incense in my door pockets, smells wonderful
Old 05-04-2005, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI - I don't know if this is true or not - I just found it on the net.

The distinctive smell inside a new car, often a source of satisfaction to owners, comes from the same form of pollution that causes "sick building syndrome" a study shows. The smell of a new car could contain up to 35 times the health limit set for volatile organic chemicals in cars in Japan, making its enjoyment akin to glue-sniffing, according to researchers from the Osaka Institute of Public Health in Japan. The chemicals found included ethyl benzene, xylene, formaldehyde and toluene used in paints and adhesives.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

More of the same:

In high densities, these cause sick building syndrome: headaches, dizziness and respiratory problems.

The study by a Japanese public health researcher found that it took three years for the level in cars to fall below the limit set for vehicles by the Japanese health ministry in response to an increase in the number of car owners suffering from sick building syndrome.

Toshiaki Yoshida, the chief researcher at the Osaka Institute of Public Health, analysed the air inside a new minivan every week for the first two months and every month after that. The van was driven 3,500 miles a year.

On the day after delivery, the van was found to contain 113 kinds of volatile organic chemicals, mostly hydrocarbons. It took four months to fall below the safe limit set by the state but shot above it again in the hot summer months even after two years.

Mr Yoshida recommends thorough ventilation and expressed the hope that manufacturers would develop materials that did not give off such chemicals.

Tim Williamson, of the National Society for Clean Air, said: "The sorts of chemicals found in the research are generally not found in the external environment and include some well-known toxins.

"So leaving the car at home is not only good for the environment, it is good for your health, too."

Al Clark, of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, said there was no equivalent standard for in-car air quality in Europe, but all cars had to comply with rules on which materials could be used in their manufacture.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still more of the same:

Researchers in Australia say the smell of new cars can be toxic and can even cause cancer.
A two-year study by an Australian government research organisation found gases from vinyl and plastic materials in new cars cause headaches, nausea and drowsiness.

Danger odours
Benzene - carcinogen
Acetone - irritant
Ethylbenzene - toxin
Xylene isomers - foetal toxin
The chemicals involved include benzene - a known cancer-causing agent - which was found in one case at five times the recommended exposure limit.

The study by the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) found emissions can take just a few minutes to take effect and may be responsible for many accidents.

"Just as air inside our homes and workplaces is often much more polluted than the air outside, so sitting in a new car can expose you to [dangerous] levels of toxic emissions," said the head of CSIRO's air quality control unit, Steve Brown.

Long-term exposure could cause cancers and abnormalities in unborn babies.

'Spaced out'

The study found anecdotal evidence of drivers becoming ill while driving their new cars.

Symptoms included: headaches; lung irritation, swellings; and feeling "spaced out".

He advised people who buy new cars to take measures to ensure plenty of fresh air circulates within the car while driving for the first six months.

The automotive industry has criticised the study, saying people are exposed to similar substances every day.

A spokesman for the Australian Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries said the anecdotal evidence could be due to the people involved being particularly sensitive to the chemicals.