Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New TC warnings

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default New TC warnings

I was actually reading the manual this morning and looking through. I found out some interesting stuff. The Tc has a black box in it, (okay so this is my first new car), for the first 1000miles they recommend you not to do a few things, one of which is to use lower speeds on the higher gears (i thought that was common sense?)... more to come later.. still flipping through.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: New TC warnings

Originally Posted by DeathCorp
I was actually reading the manual this morning and looking through. I found out some interesting stuff. The Tc has a black box in it, (okay so this is my first new car), for the first 1000miles they recommend you not to do a few things, one of which is to use lower speeds on the higher gears (i thought that was common sense?)... more to come later.. still flipping through.
You are not supposed to use high gears for low speeds ever, not just the first 1000 miles.

And if by "black box" you mean some sort of tracking device, you are wrong. It is OBD-II which does log the cars performance, but it is not some big brother device.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think they are referring to the edr. electronic data recorder aka "black box".. it is on the tC, yes.. it will record your speed and all sorts of other info if an accident occurs.. and if you were at fault.. you better tell the truth, cuz the cops will download the info and let your car testify against you in court! (if it was your fault).. nice on how they just put it in the car and claimed "oh this is for safety studies".. well I know I didn't sign up for that, or agree to that.. And i've not seen any safety studies here, just cops using it against people and sending them to jail..

just one more way of the cops to keep people under control.. period.. yes it is big brother.. OBD-II is for the engine.. EDR is the black box..
Old 08-28-2004, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thats the first thing im gonna break then. unless it will make the car stop working that is
Old 08-29-2004, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah you find out how.. let me know.. i'd love to disconnect it.. but knowing the computer guys at toyota.. they connected it to the main computer and to the check engine lite.. but hey.. if you do figure it out.. let me know
Old 08-29-2004, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member

It really doesnt track that much - speed, gas pedal depression, rpm, whether the air bags deployed or not, abs, etc. The idea being in a severe accident they can troubleshoot any problems that may have occured resulting in an accident. If you read further about it, Toyota can only release it if requested by law - so unless you kill a man with your car its very unlikely the popo or your insurance will get a hold of the data.

-Tyler
Old 08-29-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thing is.. still scary how it's being used in accidents.. and still scary it's there without our permission to record.. in california the owner has the right to not disclose the information from the recorder.. rest of the states? cops just get a warrant and can use it against ya.. too scary we don't have control over our privacy.. seriously think about it..
Old 08-29-2004, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appologize, I thought that the EDR stuff was still tied up in right to privacy stuff. Its real. I am pretty sure that the 5th amendment (self-incrimination) will come into play here at some point, and most people will have the right to not disclose the info on the black box.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like how that sounds... The "Black Box" . it makes it really sound important hehehe
Old 08-29-2004, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this does suck...imagine they get a hold of that info...they see i was going over speed limit ALL the time...erg...

Yes and please...anyone on info on disconnecting this sucker...please do share
Old 08-29-2004, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
well thing is.. still scary how it's being used in accidents.. and still scary it's there without our permission to record.. in california the owner has the right to not disclose the information from the recorder.. rest of the states? cops just get a warrant and can use it against ya.. too scary we don't have control over our privacy.. seriously think about it..
There is such a law in Cali? can you show me the link? if there is... woooooohooooooooooooo
Old 08-29-2004, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How low is "low in 5th gear"?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Su1c1da1
Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
There is such a law in Cali? can you show me the link? if there is... woooooohooooooooooooo
yeah i picked up that info from usa today or the detroit news (detnews.com).. i would think that the dmv, or at least the state of california's website would have that on their website somewhere.. i will try to find the link to the story i was reading.. but in that there were quotes of laws, no direct links to the actual law... you could do a search on the state of cali's website.. good ol' california, always being first with the good stuff

UPDATE: did a search.. found a lot in google.. here is the search results and a couple links..

and some quotes.. from zdnet's article at

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorD...6-5136715.html

"But on July 1, California (world leader in excessive legislation) will adopt a smart law: It will be the first state to regulate black boxes in cars, prohibiting anyone from extracting the information from your car unless they have your permission or a court order. And any new car that has a black box will have to say so in the owner's manual."

google's search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...k+box+recorder

cnn.com's article

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/...lack.boxes.ap/

"And in California, a law took effect on July 1 that requires manufacturers to tell buyers when their new cars have black boxes. In most cases, the law requires an owner's permission before authorities can get access to the data."

so there are some links for ya..
Old 08-29-2004, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default How low is "low in 5th gear"?

1st = 0-15
2nd = 15-25
3rd = 25-40
4th = 40-45
5th = 45-up

anything lower than 45mph
Old 08-30-2004, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default Tap into It

Fascinating. Didn't know this had this. The more important question is however, how can I tap it . Any way to get data from it? It would be cool to see my speed and all that other info. If someone has experience accessing it, if not disabling/removing it, that would be cool.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly doubt it records that much... mind you "chipping" is illegal in the United States... aside from that, who cares! I think that kind of thing is used to prevent odometer fraud, and to record service/problem information. Like, really... who cares... if youre that scared, burn the car! then drown it in a river... lol Better yet, get an electromagnetic scrambler, and screw up all the electornics in the car... stop worrying... omg... like the government really gives a ____ whether or not you fish tailed, or pulled the hand brake at 30 mph!

Im in no way justifying burning your car, or chucking it into a river!
Old 09-02-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Insurance companies start testing auto premimum discounts if you allow them to see your black box data.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ck_box_driving
Old 09-07-2004, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

already posted....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...+data+recorder
Old 09-08-2004, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member

The black box is used because of people who think that overreving an engine is safe. if you bring a car into serice witha blown engine or trans the first thing the dealer checks is the black box to see if you where doing something to make the fault happen everytime you get on the rev limmiter it is recored evertime you get on the speed limiter it is recorded. if you are bring you car to the limiter all the time reving on people your warunty will be vioded. and toyota has the right to do so. the black box does record information in a crash but most of the time it will not be used other than to make safer cars. also it records the actual miles on the car along with the overall hours you have run the car. this is to pevent obdometer fraud and warenty fraund. GM started the black box with the 97 vet and everything has had it sence 2000
Old 09-08-2004, 06:43 AM

already posted.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23391