57.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

newest scion news V6 tC possibility

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Let's go ahead and throw the 2JZ-GTTE Engine in with a 6-speed and a 100 shot of nitrous straight from the factory.....and keep it under $20K.

-Z
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I agree that trim levels don't really go well with the concept behind scions, I like that you already get a ton of options on a "base," and then can choose exactly what you want to add to it.

If there was a v6 option, and I could afford it, I would definitely go for it. Of course, by the time such a car was even released, I should have a supercharged I4 tC, so the point is pretty much moot (well, if they release the supercharger in the next year or so anyways )
Old 05-24-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if they release it..its taking forever
Old 05-24-2005, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default replies

Like I said above.. this is all speculation.. this is something that the rep said that scion was Considering **** key word.. in addition to this. Yes, more then likley, its NOT the V6 out of the truck line but I do think a V6 option in the tC is VERY likley to happen. I agree that i will depend on what competitors release vs. the tC. But the idea is sound and feasible. As for trim levels.. Toyota/scion is in the game to make money. If they have a customer base that is avalible and willing to pay a bit more depending on what is actually included in the various Trim Levels then I could see them do it.. IE. RS 1.0 and 2.0 release series is a perfect example of Special Eds or in essence ... a Trim level. So if they have already done it, and they DID charge more for it.. well I wouldnt put it out of the relm of possiblity, To each his own. All Im sayin is what the word is around CAT (central atlantic toyota) division and here at Miller Toyota in VA.

~Aaron

ps I like that I added the last poll option considering most of you think Im BSing you. Thats ok its ur perogative its cool. But I really wouldnt waste my time doin this.. i mean really...
Old 05-24-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's something for ya to ponder...

Suppose they are serious about a V6 in the little tC...they currently use the 4 cylinder engine right? Umm...here's a brainy idea....lets use the Camry's V6!!!

I think it's slim chances they would put a V6 in the tC, because it would be too expensive and not be economical. However if by some chance they did, I'm sure they'd go w/ the V6 in the Camry or Solara over a honkin truck engine...just makes sense.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by d-dave
It depends on how much the new eclipse bites into the tC sales. I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsu tries to jump on scion's market with the new eclipse. The base 06 eclipse has a 162hp 2.4L I4, and a 3.8L V6 option that I think tops out at 250ish. Would Mitsubishi try to attack the tC buyers with aggressive financing on a base Eclipse?

I think part of Scions future depends on what other vehicles that come out and vie for their market share. Toyota has been smart for over 50 years, so it will be interesting to see.
doubt Eclipse will eat into tC sales, more likely the other way around... base eclipse starting at 20k w/o a sunroof, 400lbs heavier and almost an identical engine as the tC? no thanks...

If they do it they'll do "special editions" or something of the sort, produce a small number so that the devoted fans who *want* one will snap it up and that'll be that. I'd rather see a factory supercharged or a factory turbo instead. would rather they followed the GTI or Cobalt SS, instead of the Tiburon v6 or the Eclipse GT. but that's just me...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So soon to the launch of the supercharger, I wouldn't think that the tC would become available with a V6 anytime soon. However, the GS300s new V6 has 245hp and is modified from the 4Runner's to be more appropriate for a car, so perhaps that will be an option for Scion after Lexus inevitably bumps the displacement.
Regarding the Eclipse, I don't know if I really consider it a competitor to the tC because the price point on the Mitsu seems to be a half-step higher. So I don't think Scion is rushing to catch up to them in the power department.
Having said that, a V6 would sweet .
Old 05-24-2005, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds pretty good. Have an Scion xB XRS!!!! I AM DOWN!!! Just as long it doesn't cost a lot more. It think the Matrix XRS engine would be cool. And have the 18' rims the Matrix XRS has, and have the cool grille that TRD made for the Matrix. ANyone remember? It was @ the LBGP Lifestyle Expo 03' @ the Toyota booth. The yellow one with smoked tails.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a V6 is a BAD idea. It argues with the theme they've been going for and certainly jacks up the cost which now makes it compete with an RSX-S, WRX, and new Jettas. I'd rather have those than a V6 tC.

Another thing that I cought as soon as I read this... Does anyone like a well balanced, good handling car? The weight distribution is pretty bad already. If you through a V6 in there, you can kiss balance goodbye and have a horribly balanced ride. I'd rather stick with a 4-banger and boost it.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: replies

Originally Posted by Imprtracr1
Like I said above.. this is all speculation.. this is something that the rep said that scion was Considering **** key word.. in addition to this. Yes, more then likley, its NOT the V6 out of the truck line but I do think a V6 option in the tC is VERY likley to happen. I agree that i will depend on what competitors release vs. the tC. But the idea is sound and feasible.

Could it be that they are considering the 4runner/tachoma engine for the new t2b truck concept and he was mistaken and heard tC. That makes a whole lot more sense then all of this.

Yes this is a model concept. I cant find the full size concept.

You can't put a solid, sound, and feasible stamp on a rumor that has traveled through several ears. I once had to leave work because my girlfriend said her dad died in a car accident, i was worrying about how to deal with it all the way home, come to find out i miss heard and it was her dog. Go figure. (but by then i already told several members of my family)
Old 05-24-2005, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It wont happen. If it does happen it will raise the price of the tC to over 22k. Scion is supposed to be an affordable car company for young buyers. Raising the price and having different trim levels will go against the simplicity of buying a scion and most importantly cost.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe@Dezod
I think a V6 is a BAD idea. It argues with the theme they've been going for and certainly jacks up the cost which now makes it compete with an RSX-S, WRX, and new Jettas. I'd rather have those than a V6 tC.

Another thing that I cought as soon as I read this... Does anyone like a well balanced, good handling car? The weight distribution is pretty bad already. If you through a V6 in there, you can kiss balance goodbye and have a horribly balanced ride. I'd rather stick with a 4-banger and boost it.

well said. IMO, I think that with the way that Scion markets itself as a completely customizable vehicle, there is no doubt that it could surpass all of Toyota's sales and be a great competitor for other "sport compat" cars that have even more expensive upgrades and trim levels.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default price

as for the t2b question.. no he heard correctly. and as for the price range of the tC in the 22g range with a V6 well ... is that really all that expensive when u look at the price of its competitors? lets remember toyota still needs a sporty car and with the new Si about to launch with 200hp and 6gears with a LSD, Brembo Brakes ect. not to mention the next gen eclipse comin out... with a strong V6 in it too well Lets really think.. I mean I dont think its that far out of possibility but hey its my 0.2 ...
Old 05-24-2005, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC replaces the celica & mr2 (per toyota both being canceled) and they WILL be releasing the supra for 2007 year (toyota's sports car, and yes they are aiming for low to mid 20k range, but people usually would sell a kidney for a new supra). The code name for the project was toyota 395. Info can be found everywhere so no its not "i heard it from someone else kinda deal."

All the logistics for what your talking about just doesn't jive. If scion does come out with a v6 (no matter how uncharacteristic it is for scion) i'll be the first one to stick my foot into my mouth, and give ya respect for the heads up. But after releasing the tC, hyping the supercharger, adding a release series tC, and then at the NAIAS showing the future t2b added to the line-up, to come out with a higher hp more capable tC creating a flood of vehicle exhange requests makes absolutley no sense. My money is on pure Gossip and Rumor.

Since you put that third option on your poll (which is winning 54% right now) you too understand that this is flimsy. Sorry i added more like 0.4.

BTW "Imprtracr1" are you a scion owner?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think a 5 banger like the gmc canyon/ chevy colorado would be a better idea than a v6 engine.

Plus a v6 tc around 20k sounds about right. I'm paying a little over 20k, financing, for this 4 banger right now. The extra power is worth. Think about getting the supercharger after taxes and installation, sounds more of a hassle to me than to get an already more powerful v6 tc.
And yes I would trade in my tc for a more powerful one.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about the new Avalon V6?
280hp/260tq
5sp auto
22/31 mpg at 3490lbs.
MSRP $26,350.

tc 160hp/163tq
23/30 mpg w/auto at 2970lbs

Even if it was in the 22-25K range it would still be one hell of a deal.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default my car

Actually no. i currenty dont own a tC. My brother does however. I drive a '05 Mazdaspeed Miata. Will be adding a White tC to my garage around august Id imagine maybe july.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: my car

Originally Posted by Imprtracr1
Actually no. i currenty dont own a tC. My brother does however. I drive a '05 Mazdaspeed Miata. Will be adding a White tC to my garage around august Id imagine maybe july.
Well congrats and enjoy. Im sure when your driving it on a regular basis you'll see why a v6 option isnt really needed, especally with multi-boost options being finished.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default the post

Yeah, well like I said its all just rumor and consideration at the moment. Honestly i figured that the majority wouldnt believe me anyhow.. i mean why would they. They all have good arguments against the concept of adding a V6. Thats another reason I added the 3rd option. But I just thought Id pass the word to you all considering I am entusiastic about the tC and have followed the cars development for a while pre release.. ( I use to work for Toyota in the shop) but anyhow, I would love to see a V6 in the car. unfortunatley, I will not be able to wait until the V6 comes out if at all. It definatley wont be out by august so F it... anyhow just incase it does come downt the pipeline in a year or two. YOU HEARD IT HEAR FIRST !!!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

they will use the camry v6.. they havent put in a truck v6 in a car since the early 80s so i don tthink they will start now again

Quick Reply: newest scion news V6 tC possibility