Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

NHTSA probes (Toyota) Scion tC Moonroof Failures (again)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
I think the problem here is that ppl DO want to open the roof at high speeds and thats where problems occur.
Can be somewhat true at times, but can also be absolutely not true. Mine popped when it was closed, without warning. They never really figured out what went wrong with mine, but the tech did speculate to me that the glass wasn't faulty, but the track went first, causing stress on the glass.

It's been rock solid since replacement, but i still get a weird feeling at times while driving, and I end up closing the shade, just in case.

As for the figure of NINE failures out of the thousands of tCs that were sold... Well, I think it would be safe to assume (though I have no proof) that there have probably been at least 10x the amount of failures than what has been reported to the government. I know that my sunroof was not reported, because mine went just when the investigation was underway. I think we've had at least 9 instances reported on ScionLife alone...

Yeah, man-made things have faults and things go wrong, and I do love my tC, but I'm always debating whether or not i should get rid of it because I don't feel 100% safe sitting in it. Such a pity...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZTC
that is a flipped up thing to say about the soldiers in Iraq, if you want to make a reference like that then take your happy butt over there and let us use you as a flippin' statistic!
they are over there risking their lives and protecting ours and you have the nerve and the ordasity to make some ____ty remark like that!? please never make a reference like that. for one you are offending people who are in there now and you are making a mockery of the ones who have already died from that war using them as a ____ty statistic like that about a CAR. next time please, i beg you to use better judgement and have more consideration to make a smarter comparison than that.
I don't support the war in Iraq but i at least respect the people who are over their fighting and the ones who have given their lives.
You're flipped up. i support the troops. NOT ONE SINGLE AMERICAN SOLDIER SHOULD HAVE DIED IN IRAQ.

BUSH AND THE REPUBLICANS ARE THE ONES WHO DON'T MIND SACRIFICING A FEW THOUSAND AMERICAN KIDS TO WIN THEIR POINTLESS WAR.

i don't have a death wish, won't be heading to iraq anytime soon.

i don't support the war, never did. But i certainly respect the people over there doing their jobs for our government.

But NO SOLDIER IN IRAQ is protecting ME or fighting for MY freedom...IN ANY WAY. Iraq is no threat to the USA at all, never was.

you are a moron. i said, saying 9 shattered sunroofs of thousands of tcs is like saying ONLY 3000 dead soldiers out of thousands.

follow the math here genius: Shattered moonroofs are dangerous/bad...doesn't matter if its 2 or 200.

American soldiers dying trying to help straighten out a totally backward country is dangerous/bad. Doesn't matter if 2 die, or 3000 die. NONE of them should be dead.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ You really have no clue...no clue at all. Take your political views elswhere, this is a thread about tc sunroofs. And while we are at it.....please sell your tC.......your a bit of a bother.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Andrew1782
^^^ You really have no clue...no clue at all. Take your political views elswhere, this is a thread about tc sunroofs. And while we are at it.....please sell your tC.......your a bit of a bother.
no, thats okay. I have a clue.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1SXETC
No, you DON'T have a clue. How in the world do you turn a conversation about tC moonroofs into a political rant and the war in Iraq? You brought it up with no provocation and it is totally out of place. In the process, you've made yourself look like an asshat by spewing political dogma with zero respect for other people's opinion. I'm a soldier myself and I resent my fallen buddies being used as a statistic to compare broken car parts. Take your anti-war protest some place else.

It is better to let people assume you're an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

if i had the power to lock i so would
Old 01-16-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ladies please keep this thread on topic
thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I got a rather bad hit on the rear of my 2006 tC last week ($5K estimate), and I tought that the roof would give me probs. So far, no problems, all works perfectly...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by titolito
Originally Posted by 1SXETC
No, you DON'T have a clue. How in the world do you turn a conversation about tC moonroofs into a political rant and the war in Iraq? You brought it up with no provocation and it is totally out of place. In the process, you've made yourself look like an asshat by spewing political dogma with zero respect for other people's opinion. I'm a soldier myself and I resent my fallen buddies being used as a statistic to compare broken car parts. Take your anti-war protest some place else.

It is better to let people assume you're an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
YOU turned it into that. I merely MENTIONED a comparison/analogy (9 shattered sunroofs is too many; 3000 dead soldiers is too many) that holds some relevance to current events. I can't help it if you get butt-sore because you're a conservative.

You contradict yourself, you said: "I resent my fallen buddies being used as a statistic "...when the government is the one treating them like statistics. THE GOVERNMENT is the one who doesn't care if your buddies die in iraq. I think its a damn shame that thousands of guys/girls MY AGE are dying for no reason. If the GOVERNMENT cared about our soldiers like I DO, they would not be sending thousands more over to iraq and putting them in harms way for the sake of the iraqi people.

The you said, "take your anti-war protest somewhere else" so you resent the fact that your falled comrades have become statistics, yet you support the war.

but to reiterate: i simply MENTIONED the war...you're the one who dragged it out and turned it into a big issue.

I RESPECT your right to voice your opinion. I simply think its wrong. What i HATE, is the damn conservative republicans who say if you voice your opinion and its not in line with OUR opinion, you're un-patriotic. THAT IS UNAMERICAN and TOTAL BS.