Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

not allowed to use apartment parking lot to work on cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 AM
SL Member

Well mriches said that 3 other people are working on their cars without being bothered right? So thats not right, maybe she dislikes you? Dont know, but it shouldnt only apply to you.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

HOA... I'm not allowed to work on my car, wash my car, or park on the street w/o being hassled by them. Hell, my neighbor to the side of my house is part of the association. My family feels like he targets us. We had some gravel on our driveway because of either kids or the car just moved it there, they told us to move it back into the lawn. One day we had our backyard light on at night. He called us and said "Turn your light off, it's an invasion of my privacy. If you don't I'll come over and make you" or something along that line. My mother called 311 because she felt threatened and she police just said to keep the light on as much as you want, it's not an invasion of privacy at all. Later that week he built the brick fence higher so none of the light would shine over to invade his precious privacy.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like people who have nothing better to do and no lives. can't check my oil dipstick? go ahead, hire a lawyer see you in court!
i bet the minute you say that, they never come back. harassment pure and simple. until these people are challenged they'll continue to bully people who are clueless.

yes, if these people think they're going to get away with threatening you, definitely call the police. Let the cops deal with these losers.

Sure I don't agree with some 69 mustang, rusting out, up on blocks.. But come on, checking oil? or leaving your porch light on? Screw em.

and to the OP, just do the work at 3am. Everyone is asleep, they won't know you changed your bumper cover.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HOA's are not that bad. Ours pretty much says you can't park your RV/boat along the road and can't have a beater car parked in public's view. And I think we pay only $200 per year but they have someone come and mow everyone's yard every two weeks during the summers and as needed during the winters including light yard maintenence (cleaning leaves, pine needles, etc). Saves me the hassle from having to do it. But I can work on my car all I want in the driveway or the garage.

But in my last apartment, I always saw guys working on their cars and nobody ever complained. I don't remember if it was in the lease agreement. Sounds reasonable though.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I used to get notices on the door saying not to work on the car.........checking my oil I thought was normal but they said no.......goto Jiffy Lube..........I continued to ignore them..........they continued to put notices on my door...........it was when I asked for a definition of what working on my vehical was in detail.........that they left me alone........the definitioin was if it could not start and run due to a part being removed off of it then that was working on it...........amazing how they leave me alone now.........even when I had the interior gutted out on the lawn.........the car ran and drove............

and they thought they were so smart..........get a definitioin ............brakes......... oil change.........tires........that would be working on it.......as it will not start and drive,you get the picture......

Nice! I say listen to this guy and you can also use the cell phone thing to use against her. Go get em man!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Illusion
HOA... I'm not allowed to work on my car, wash my car, or park on the street w/o being hassled by them. Hell, my neighbor to the side of my house is part of the association. My family feels like he targets us. We had some gravel on our driveway because of either kids or the car just moved it there, they told us to move it back into the lawn. One day we had our backyard light on at night. He called us and said "Turn your light off, it's an invasion of my privacy. If you don't I'll come over and make you" or something along that line. My mother called 311 because she felt threatened and she police just said to keep the light on as much as you want, it's not an invasion of privacy at all. Later that week he built the brick fence higher so none of the light would shine over to invade his precious privacy.
You should put a spot light at the top of your house and shine it down on your back yard and say its a security precaution so nobody trespasses lol. Hell I'd go out of the way to battle a jerk neighbor. Did I ever tell you what happened when they wouldn't stop their dogs from taking a crap on our yard.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my apt. complex doesn't allow it but i don't care. haha
Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

all of my mgt at my complex have seen me workin on my car, one of the girls even stopped to talk to me when she was showing an apt to someone else, there are also 2 cops who live in my building, if they are home and im working on my car, they will usually come talk to me about something.

there was one guy 2 buildings away from me that actually restored cars from his apt (now he has a shop) but it was not uncommon for him to have 5 or 6 OLD cars near his door... now he just has a 96 impala, 67 impala drop top, and a 9X dodge pace truck out front lol.

so i guess i live in a good complex lol.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol thank god for nyc..dont gotta put up with no hoa
Old 08-17-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, folks, here's the deal.

I spoke with the nicer gals who work for the supervisor. (It turns out that the supervisor is the person that gave me a hard time.) I explained the situation of what happened, and that I've seen other people work on cars un-harassed. Apparently, here is what I am supposed to do:

1. Work on my car on days when the supervisor isn't there, and pick parking spots where she isn't likely to drive past me and look.

2. Assume the supervisor is overzealous about enforcing "policy."

3. Don't make noise after 10 PM, and don't damage anything.

With this criteria met, I am told that I will be left alone. Thanks for the moral support!

P.S. I also complained about a "rustang"-like mid-80's GMC truck w/out certain headlights that was abandoned on the parking lot 3 months ago. I hope it belongs to whoever complained about me, and/or brought me to the attention of the supervisor - because they are towing the rustbucket as I write this
Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Illusion - Might I suggest that you light off stink bombs (on your own lot) every time your neighbor has a barbecue. You can also try smoking limberger cheese on your own barbecue - it tastes good that way on crackers, anyhow...
Old 08-18-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i was in college, i had a little backyard area that was enclosed, but still pretty open to the public. i would work on my car at least once every week. i had a compressiong going and other power tools: dremel, drills, air tools. did oil changes, HID retrofits, fix a subframe bolt i stripped, made a splitter, rotated tires, brake pad changes, alarm install, intake modifications, straight pipe install and O2 sensor changes, car wash, even fixed some body panel parts that was bent after i got rear ended. neighbors never complained. it was heaven! lol, but seriously HOA are ****'s!

my roommate however got in trouble with our land lord when he was caught with a 400hp 3S-GTE motor in the yard. we had to get rid of that thing asap. we were lucky he never discovered the Turbo that was sitting in the tool shed next to it.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

man, just tell them to F*** off.. some supervisors are just pain in the ___.
i work on my car all the time in my apartment's basement garage and nobody says anything about it. even better, i get to know people who lives here!
if they still ____ u off, move and make sure they get a bad rating. plus spread the word too!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mriches
Hey Illusion - Might I suggest that you light off stink bombs (on your own lot) every time your neighbor has a barbecue. You can also try smoking limberger cheese on your own barbecue - it tastes good that way on crackers, anyhow...

I actually throw cheese over his wall and bacon grease. Yeah.. I don't approve! But recently we just got an order to clean our wall because it had stains on it do to a mini pond that we used to own. If we don't then we're getting a 50 dollar fine! How fun!

Back to cars, we're supposed to park 2 vehicles in our garage, and two on the driveway, then we may park on the street. This "rule" was issued when my family owned 5 cars, a lexus, acura, two scion tc's, and a minivan. Seeing that my family has 5 people and we're a little pack rat-ish. We shove everything into our garage, so two of the cars would have to park on the street. I feel as if I'm rambling right now.. so let me get to the point. We sold the lexus to my aunt. The HOA thinks that we still own it I guess, and if they will ever ask we'll just say that it's in our garage. In the letter they gave us it specifically said "a minimum of two vehicles in the garage" Funny thing is, they did not specify what a vehicle needed to be. Could be a bike!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how can this place overstep owner's rights? I'm confused, seems that anyone with property law experience would say they can be told where to go, if they want to tell you what you can have in your home.

Am I the only one here that thinks this is very odd that these HOA's get away with this dictatorship? Who can specifiy what you have parked in YOUR garage on YOUR property? odd..