Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

OMG ticket for RUNNING YELLOW light!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OMG ticket for RUNNING YELLOW light!!!!

wow i just got a ticket for running a yellow light! YELLOW LIGHT!!! and i was only was goin 5 mils over the speed limit but i did not accelerate at all through out the driving!

the cop pulled me over asked for my license etc. and asked if i knew why he pulled me over for and i said no, the cop was suprise and ask again like i was suppose to know what happened. then he said, you were running a yellow light, and then he said (i will quote it) "YOU MUST STOP AT A YELLOW LIGHT"... i was so confused like as if he didnt know what law was...

and i told him it changed to yellow when i was about through the intersection, then the popo said it does not matter, you can not accelerate forward through the yellow light...

the light turned yellow when i was like 5 feet away before running through the intersection!!!

and you know what he wrote on the ticket!!!??? i ran through the yellow light while it changed RED... that is such BS!

i start to talk to him again about RUNNING THE YELLOW light but my 2 buddies was like "dont talk him man just forget about and go to court with it"

im going to court with this, this is such BS!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought as long as you were in the intersection when it turned red you were legal
Old 05-06-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are supposed to stop at a yellow light.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This is *
You can still go thru if you realize you cannot stop before the lights turn red, but you 5 mph over is what he hold against you since you could have had the chance to stop w/o the 5 mph over.

understand what i mean?!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

ummmm.... i'm not exactly sure what the law says but i have driven through yellow lights before and cops have seen me.... they didnt seem to care. i'd fight that ticket in a heartbeat and hope the cop shows up on the courtdate so you can wipe your ___ with the ticket when it gets dismissed. i bet he had called it in already to the station and didn't wanna feel like an idiot so he wrote you down for some crap.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

your suppose to be cautious and slow down at a yellow light ..... not stop ??
Old 05-06-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the green light turn yellow when i was only 5 feet away from going through the intersection. why slow down and stop? ill even make it through if i slow down! if i normally slowed down and stop, i wouldve already pass the intersection... the cop was a damn ROOKIE...

plus i did not accelerate whats so ever throughout my drive. i stay going 40 on a 35,, but the ticket did not say how fast i was goin... he wasnt worried how fast was i goin tho
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member

Just wait and see how much the ticket will cost u. If it's less tahn 150, u can fight the ticket. If it's 300 and above, just go to court and admit it. The judge will cut down at least half. To fight on court, winning rate is less than 1%. Your only hope is for some reason the cop doesnt show up. But cops also get in trouble for not showing up on court, so they will normally try to make it.

I just got a ticket for running red about a month ago, same situation. I just scheduled a court appearence. I cant take the chance to fight, because it turned out to be $387......#*U(Y(y&!t!~%~^ty
Old 05-06-2005, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what also sucks is that when he was giving the ticket and said i hsould get my window retinted because on the 1st of july they are reinforceing the tint law... that sucks but what weird is that he did not say anything about my license plate, i got a weapon-r liscense plate frame that covers the date tho its a clear blue. before, i had a warning for parking the wrong direction at a parking lot infront of nopi parts store and the cop told me about my license plate...
Old 05-06-2005, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ramen
Just wait and see how much the ticket will cost u. If it's less tahn 150, u can fight the ticket. If it's 300 and above, just go to court and admit it. The judge will cut down at least half. To fight on court, winning rate is less than 1%. Your only hope is for some reason the cop doesnt show up. But cops also get in trouble for not showing up on court, so they will normally try to make it.

I just got a ticket for running red about a month ago, same situation. I just scheduled a court appearence. I cant take the chance to fight, because it turned out to be $387......#*U(Y(y&!t!~%~^ty

i witness wat i did and i did nothing wrong. my friends thought it was BS too...
Old 05-06-2005, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member

You do NOT have to stop at a yellow light. A yellow light means to slow down and prepare to stop it does not mean stop. If that is what you were cited for, take it to court.

Here is a like to a site that has a copy of the GA state drivers manual (this is a direct link to the PDF file) GA Drivers manual is here. The info you're looking for is on page 29.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I see you are from Georgia. You didn't have a Yankee or Red Sox sticker on your car did you? Even in CA they don't give you a ticket for a yellow light. If you stopped at a yellow light here you would live about 2 hours...........
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks man I'm sorry... I go through lights when they're yellow and turn red while i'm in the intersection every now and then and i've never been hassled. Hope you win it in court. Good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

In New Orleans, you don't get ticketed for "running a red light", you get a ticket for "disregarding a traffic signal". This applies to both yellow and red lights. (I was going 50 in a 35 through a yellow light. I didn't speed up though.) If you don't want to pay the ticket, go to court and talk to the D.A. They usually reduce / dismiss a lot of charges. You could also get a lawyer to handle it for you. Any ticket I get costs $100 to my lawyer. The ticket disappears, and my insurance company is none the wiser. Then again, I live in New Orleans. Your city may not be as corrupt.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

um if yellow is stop what is red? turn off your engine?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member

what they should come up with is yellow then a question mark thats red and yellow, then red. this way everyones so confused even the cops don't know what to do.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Toji
um if yellow is stop what is red? turn off your engine?

Old 05-06-2005, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'd fight it. Looking at the GA code, it doesn't seem like they have the yellow well defined. It doesn't state what your actions should be especially compared to the description of the green and red...

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2...e/40-6-21.html

I would suggest researching further, it may be contained in another section.

Technically, you can even get a ticket for running a green light...
Old 05-06-2005, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a thought. let's say you did stop for the yellow. and ended up in the middle of the intersection......because you know...the cop said you gotta stop on yellow.

yeah.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

In CT yellow lights mean "stop if it's safe to do so"

Quick Reply: OMG ticket for RUNNING YELLOW light!!!!