OMG ticket for RUNNING YELLOW light!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Diluvium
no i was not speeding, it is still legal to go 5 miles over the speed limit... plus the ticket said nothing about me speeding or how fast i was going, but i was doing the speed limit...

theres no point in making an effort to slow down, i was already in the intersection...

the cop was an idiot rookie. there was another cop that came seconds later and they were talkin to each other for like 10-15 minutes... the cop who pulled me over was probably asking the other cop if its ok to give me the ticket, since he know that i know im right....
Dead wrong and a common misconception. A speed limit is just that. A legal limit set by the transportation bureau. It doesn't matter if you're 1mph over or 15, you're speeding if you're over it. Now, it is at the cops discretion as to whether or not to pull you over; if he's going to disrupt a lot of traffic and cross a busy intersection just to ticket you for being clocked at 3 miles over, he may shrug it off. Most likely he will. But do not for a second think its LEGAL to be over the speed limit. Posted speed limits are the law.

And just because he was in conference with another officer does not mean it was about you.

See, this just ____es me off. Wheel See is right. You were in clear violation of the law, regardless if that's what you were charged with. Be thankful he didn't tack on all the little misdemeanors.

And whoever said anything about a monetary range for fighting tickets is pure bull. You can argue at any point. You can still be stuck with the full ticket no matter what the cost is if the judge thinks you're being a d***. You need to be respectful, and not insistent or overbearing. Make your point and keep quiet unless asked.

Driving is not a right, its a priviledge. Anything you have to PAY to do doesn't give you the right. By earning your license, you are also agreeing to abide by the laws set forth for safe operating motor vehicle procedure.

Yeah, I'm on a soapbox. Yeah, I'm not perfect. Yeah, I do my share of speeding or violating minor traffic laws. But for anyone to think that cops have no business issuing tickets in cases where there is plenty of evidence to the contrary is ludicrous.

/soapbox
Old 05-07-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG
Scion Evolution

the tickets up here are for "failure to obey a traffic signal". if you kept going when it was yellow, you broke that law. now, i would hope the officer is being reasonable with his decision, but the law requires you slow down for yellow lights- they are there for that reason.

good luck.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just to let you know georgia does accept going over 5 miles over the speed limit, now 6 miles over they can,but it does say in my drivers license book. it is legal in georgia...

i went 40 on a 35 at a school zone when cop patroled, all the car by me went 35 while i hit 40 heading up quicker then everyone. the cop even shot a laser at me and i did not get pulled over...
Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
just to let you know georgia does accept going over 5 miles over the speed limit, now 6 miles over they can,but it does say in my drivers license book. it is legal in georgia...

i went 40 on a 35 at a school zone when cop patroled, all the car by me went 35 while i hit 40 heading up quicker then everyone. the cop even shot a laser at me and i did not get pulled over...
Just because he didn't pull you over doesn't mean its ok. Please give a website with this information that going 5mph over the limit is ok. To my knowledge like someone else said 1mph or 15mph over speed limit doesn't matter, its still speeding.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="Diluvium"]
Originally Posted by boostedscion
i got another court date next week for speeding. going 49 on a 35... im pretty sure i cant get away with that, but i can say i was atleast goin 10 miles over, tho the cop did not catch me by radar but cop claims she clocked me by patrol vehicle... so no proff of me speeding...

this is sucks
oh wow so many things wrong here...lemme get this straight you've now been pulled over a second time within about a week? you may get off on the yellow light charge with PBJ(Probation Before Judgement) but when you go into court for the speeding ticket the judge will see this speeding ticket. So he's gonna be less likely to let you off on this ticket. How old are you btw?

oh and pacing is a legally acceptable form of evidence for speeding.

~wC
Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whoa i totally messed up on the court date... my ticket for speeding is next week tues. 17th and my ticket for running a yellow light is june 23rd thats next month...

and yes it is legal in the state of GA where you can go 5 miles over the speed limit. thank you

the police wont waste their time and the judge will think its a joke..
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member

Anything that would call attention to yourself to get you on the wrong side of the cop? Out here in AZ they are pretty relaxed, they just go after the big things. Too many freaking accidents for them to stop people for minor violations most of the time, at least as far as I can tell.
sporty car = attention
Anything else? Shiny rims? Thumping? Reflective "no camera" license plate cover? Bad haircut? Shifty eyes? Dark tint? If you were going five over, even if it is "legal", they may have pulled you over just to teach you a lesson. and wrote you up on something else.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Next time it turns yellow pull the parking brake and get hit from behind.
I got a ticket recently for going with the flow of traffic 80 mph on the Feeway I hate that everytime I get pulled over and get a ticket but everytime my girlfriend gets pulled over they give her a warning.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just pay the ticket, you are toast. Especially after you get that speeding ticket on your record. When you go to court the judge will look at your record and will judge accordingly. The judge will always believe the police over a citizen in a traffic case. BTW, going 5mph over the speed limit is against the law. Just because they choose not to pull you over doesn't mean it is legal to speed, even one mile an hour over the posted limit.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OrAnGeBoX
I hate that everytime I get pulled over and get a ticket but everytime my girlfriend gets pulled over they give her a warning.
They are called boobies my friend!
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the light turns yellow and there's a big rig or an SUV right behind me, no way am I going to stop. Yeah, laws vary. I would wait on the outcome of your upcoming court hearing. I would just go to court and hopes the cop doesn't show up or plead guilty if he does but give a reason. BUt two court hearings within 1 month of each other is doesn't look good from the judge perspective.

(although from Fayette COunty, GA but should apply to all counties in GA):
http://www.admin.co.fayette.ga.us/co...icitor.htm#act

Go down to 10: Convictions for moving violations in Georgia are assessed points as follows:

Exceeding the speed limit by more than 14MPH but less than 19MPG= 2points
There's nothing stating going over the posted speed limit or going over 1MPH but less than 14MPH. There is the "Too fast for conditions" but that equals 0-points.