Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Ordering accesories and I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Ordering accesories and I need some advice!

Ok so I have my RS2 tC on order and I've been thinking about what kind of options to get . Originally I was trying to keep the payments down and just go pretty basic, but looking at it today I realized that I should just get what I really want in the first place. Especially since if I were to get into any sort of accident it would be covered by the insurance. Also it doesn't seem like adding a few grand in accesories really even changes the monthly by more then $50-75 which, frankly, is no big deal.

So what I'm considering-

Accessories:

Exterior: Ground Effects Kit (G1) $995 (I wasn't originally interested, but having now seen the pictures of the colors and different wheels then what I previously conceived it seems like a nice addition)

Exterior: B Pillar Appliques by Superior Dash (P0) $75 (Nice little add on)

Interior: Auto Dimming Mirror (N1) $310 (I don't really care about the auto
dimming feature, but the garage door opener stuff would be nice...)

Interior: Door Sill Enhancements (G0) $115 (Again, nice little add on)

Interior: Scion Security (V5) $469 (This is the one I've really been wondering about. First off - Does the tC have keyless entry if you don't go for this option? Secondly it seems like a lot of people say this security system sucks.. why?)

Interior: Shift **** by OBX Racing Sports: Classic Leather (22) $59 (Am I better off getting a Momo shift **** or is this actually pretty nice?)

Performance: *TRD Struts/Shocks Kit (TS) $525
Performance: *TRD Lowering Springs Kit (TL) $199
Performance: TRD Sport Muffler (37) $525
Performance: *TRD Cold Air Intake (TRD Cold Air) $440

Basically with the TRD stuff it comes down to what the dealer is going to try and charge me for an install. I talked to my clueless scion salesman today who told me something rediculous like he "thought" it would be about $800 just for the shock/spring install. Now even at $90/hour there is NO WAY it could cost that much. My guess would be about $300-400 for the shocks/springs, $150 for the exhaust, $50 for the intake. So maybe like ~$800 for EVERYTHING.

Anyone else have experience with dealer charges on the TRD stuff install-wise? And before anyone says it I know some of the TRD stuff is overpriced (i.e. intake), but it'll be nice to have it covered under insurance if something were to happen and also it hardly adds anything my monthly by adding it onto the car at this point.

Thanks!

-Nick
Old 03-29-2006, 10:28 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

i would still rather buy it bone-stock and add stuff later. i learned my first time when i got my first tC and added alot of accessories.. 2nd time around.. i got it bone-stock. i recommend that route.

there are much better aftermarket products available... and it seems that you really want to spend that extra money to have the TRD logo on your accessories. your call there.
of all things suspension (shocks/strut) you didn't add the sway bar as well?

the tC comes with keyless entry stock.. you don't need Scion Security for that.. most of the security entails is a glass break sensor... that's about it.

the shift ****.. i can live without... "you can do better", is what i would say for that.

and btw... buying them seperately and installing them yourself will save you a load of money. all parts come with instructions and are pretty simple to follow. the only thing would be the springs/strut.. which requires a little know-how and tools.

feel free to pm me if you have any more questions
Old 03-29-2006, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well here's the thing-

Previously I've owned a GTI and a GSR both of which I heavily modded. On the GSR I had a whole slew of great parts etc.. that I installed all myself. I put on the shocks/springs/cams/exhaust etc.. nothing is that hard, just time consuming. However, when I wrecked my integra I got a pretty good settlement for the car, but I got absolutely nothing for any of my aftermarket parts. Honestly I could care less about the "TRD logo" it just seems like doing all of that kind of stuff these days is just a pain in the ___ because I'm so busy with work and school.

The biggest reason for getting any of this (and I realize there are better parts out there) is that it's nice just to have the car delivered mostly how you want it. That way I'm not piecing things together here and there, plus then it's covered as well.

Sounds like the "Scion Security" is a total bust.. I'll make sure to not get that.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:53 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

well.. there are other aspects of Scion Security... but it's so irrelevant that i won't even mention it... if you want an alarm system... get something else.

i do understand if you're doing it out of mere convienence... just letting you know there are obviously cheaper routes.. which can also end up being better parts too.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I was in the same boat you are when you're ordering your car, I threw on almost every option from the dealer, and now regret almost every one of them, and I'll have to keep paying for even the stuff I replaced PLUS interest until my car is paid off. I've either replaced the options I've put on, or saw better alternatives for much cheaper that are better I could either install myself, or have someone install for still less than the dealership would charge.

For all that stuff when I plugged it into a calculator came out to be $3700 and you said $800 installation, so say $4500 - let's just say

-----If I could do it again, I would get the supercharger which wasn't available at the time (you can't finance it, but you can come up with money for a down payment and pay for the blower[technically] and finance the rest)

sooo $3200 installed at a dealer, or $2900 elsewhere and dealer installed - and you could STILL get little accessories like the TRD suspension (springs/shocks/sways) and the auto dimming mirror

The alarm is not sensative enough, doesn't have features you can get on other alarms for less like remote start, 2-way pager system, motion sensors or ignition cut (immobilizer is stock anyways) - I don't even think it has glass breakage sensors.

The ground effects kit is JUST a lip kit, albeit a good looking one, but isn't worth half the cost, and I HATE the corolla-S sideskirts

The door sill enhancement and B-pillar accent ARE nice, I have them and kept them, but they are JUST ADHESIVE BACKED - PEEL AND STICK - you can get the door sills for $70 from www.mcgeorgeparts.com or www.trdsparks.com for less, and the B-pillar is under $50 at the same places.

--and if you're worried about your aftermarket parts not being insured, call your insurance company and tell them how much your aftermarket parts are worth and tell them to add it to the policy - one way or another they are going to charge you more, whether it be from a higher initial car value, or a higher car value due to aftermarket parts. Just don't expect to crash your car and blow up your turbo and want it replaced through insurance when you didn't tell them it was there.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yup.. i learned the first time.

also.. the scion security's sensitivity can be adjusted, and it does have a glass break sensor... tap your glass hard on your driver side (near the mic) with your key (depending on how sensitive it's set at)

and yeah... most insurance companies will be glad to tack on aftermarket stuff for few more dollars on your premium.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ha ha...i remember when I went through this stage...now I am much more informed.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Buy everything from the dealer! Yeah not really. Even as a dealer and since you arent buying the car from me I will tell you most of the things youre better off getting elsewhere after the sale. If youre concerned about insurance covering total cost of the vehicle in the event of an accident just keep all your reciepts for future mods. If you have proof of everything they are required to cover a percentage of the mods as well as the value of the vehicle. Absolutely under no circumstances should you get the Scion Security system! Its a huge waste of money. Just my thoughts on the matter as a Scion Sales Manager...
Old 03-30-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got my trd exhaust from www.scionpartspeople.com for $372 shipped and installed it myself without lifting the car. Just remove it from 3 hangers and unscrew two bolts.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try here for all your Scion accessories trdsparks.com

I'd say do the Ground Effects. There isn't that much savings buying it through another dealer or vendor. B-Pillar Appliques, you might want to hold off because they had exclusive RS 1.0 ones. So they will likely have RS 2.0s. Auto-Dimming Mirror, let me get this straight, you're willing to pay $310 for a garage door opener? That's $$$ that can be used to buy something useful IMHO. Door Sill Enhancements, I don't know if they are going to have RS 2.0 ones or not. If they do, you may want to hold off. There are better aftermarket alarm systems out there. Save your $$$. Don't get the OBX Shift ***. I bought mine at the site mentioned for $32. And lastly, on all the TRD stuff--the dealer is going to ream you on install prices. You seem pretty handy, you should do those mods on your own or have somebody else do them for considerably cheaper. That's my take.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all i got was super 7 rims, ped spoiler, fogs and blue led for interior. all installed from port. total at 2167.

i think the only one i would of not gotten if i was to do it over is the blue leds... don't care too much for it now. and i think having them installed made my dash less secure. it's got some sqeaks to it.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that I would do is the Pedestal Spoiler and the Ground Effects Kit if I had the money. I hate to have to drill holes into my new car, so having them done for me and coming with warranty is a good thing.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah I would make sure the cost of the TRD parts install, we had the short throw shifter installed last week at a cost of 360 bucks, I was so ____ed when I left the dealer I canceled the rest of order of TRD parts and order them all online and plan on installing most myself. The only thing I would get installed at the dealer is the supercharger or the spoiler because I hate drilling holes
Old 04-08-2006, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do the ground effects, have your Scion salesman order it from the port that way. All of the RS2.0 should still be in the transit stage, and the price is 995.00, that's it. No install charges. I'd also recomend the pedastal spoiler, and the 18" Enkei wheels.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanted to get the factory accessories b/c i trust the port install more than other ppl. but they are expensive though... i could've lived without the oem fogs and led lights. i like the super 7 rims i got, but it sucks to see too many ppl with them.

oem parts just fits flush with the car.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man you're planning to spend a boatload of money! I only got two options with mine: autodimming and floor mats.

BUY Ground Effects Kit: I think it looks cool. Adds more flare to the car.

DON'T BUY Exterior: B Pillar Appliques: No one is going to notice.

DON'T BUY: Auto Dimming Mirror (N1): Get yourself a garage opener. If you were planning to put in tint, you're just doubling the darkness. With a regular mirror, you can also add in a wide mirror to see more. Do you park your car in the garage? if not, if you leave it outside, someone can break into your car and open the garage.

DON'T BUY Interior: Door Sill Enhancements : no one's gonna notice

DON'T BUY Interior: Scion Security: I heard there's better for cheaper at goodguys, circuit city, etc.

MAYBE Interior: Shift **** by OBX Racing Sports: This is personal prefrence

BUY Performance: *TRD Struts/Shocks Kit (TS) $525
BUY Performance: *TRD Lowering Springs Kit (TL) $199
MAYBE Performance: TRD Sport Muffler (37) $525
MAYBE Performance: *TRD Cold Air Intake (TRD Cold Air) $440
Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly, your insurance will not know the difference on certain items if they were factory installed or aftermarket, unless you show them the invoice, but they may still dispute it if its factory installed and dealer installed, two totally different things.........
the only option i would do is the body kit, why, because it is factory color matched and installed by them, the price is not bad.
unless you have not other means to buy moddifictations the only thing else on your list would be the suspension. even though the prices for the TRD set up is redicoulously overpriced........try looking into buying the stuff from McGeorge if you want TRD and doing the install your self, even a qulified shop will not charge you 300.00 to install springs and struts, more like 150.00 including alignment.
shop around before you blow your loot on a dealer installed item.....

all this stuff is crap, and will do nothing for the value of your car and is a totall waste of money

DON'T BUY Exterior: B Pillar Appliques: No one is going to notice.

DON'T BUY: Auto Dimming Mirror (N1): Get yourself a garage opener. If you were planning to put in tint, you're just doubling the darkness. With a regular mirror, you can also add in a wide mirror to see more. Do you park your car in the garage? if not, if you leave it outside, someone can break into your car and open the garage.

DON'T BUY Interior: Door Sill Enhancements : no one's gonna notice

DON'T BUY Interior: Scion Security: I heard there's better for cheaper at goodguys, circuit city, etc.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

buy it bone stock...like i did