2005-2010 [ANT10]

OVER REV AND CAR SEEMS TO HOLD BACK NOW

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OVER REV AND CAR SEEMS TO HOLD BACK NOW

I over rev'd last year jumping out into traffic and my car came back to 4k rpm or so and stayed for about 3 blocks even though I shifted all the way up to 5th. The rpm's finally matched back up around 4 blocks. There was a smell like the engine had burned something off and I thought I could smell coolant through the vents for a few weeks after. That part may have just been mental since I thought I broke my car. I took it in to the dealer and they told me it was fine. I dont' smell any coolant or burning from the engine. The car still shows the same temp and no leaks. It runs ok except that it seems to be holding back about 5 to 15 hp under quick acceleration. I let a member of my club drive it to make sure it wasn't just me and he said the same thing. I also notice that unlike before when I turn on the AC I can feel a very very slight change in power. Before I couldn't even tell. Now I do have to say that I listen to my car and any slight change makes me check things just so I know what it is.

1.) I was told that a car can get certain codes that can hold it back because the computer saw something that might have damaged the engine. These codes can be cleared out depending on what caused the code.

2.) Also, If the engine is damaged wouldn't there been some kind of knocking or some kind of power lose when accelerating because the car likes 4k on the highway.

3.) I forgot to mention this. At the time that the car over rev'd I had someone else's stock intake hose that was modified to have a short ram on the end instead of the stock air box. I thought that maybe the computer re-mapped the car but was told this was only in rare situations. I hope that's enough information to give me feed back.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So you are saying you went the same speed, and shifted to 5th, and it still ran at 4000? IF so your tach is junk. It is impossible for a car to stay at the same rpm at the same speed and different gear. Maybe I just misunderstood that part?

A car can go into "limp in" mode, but you would have a check engine light in that case. I am not sure what type of a limp in mode Toyotas use, but a CEL would be on in either case. If you are still worried about that, then just reset the ecu.

Other than that, with no noises, I cant think of anything that could be wrong other than a loss of compression. That can be checked via a leakdown test.

I think the loss of power you feel with the AC is just more apparent to you now that you are listening and watching for things. On any tC you can tell the difference in power when the AC kicks in. Not as much as some cars due to the compressor it uses, but still noticable.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your first question, I thought I hit the rev limiter and that was why it kicked back to 4k and stayed. I shifted out of 1st about 4to 5 secs once I realized my mistake. However, even with me starting to climb from 2nd to 3rd up to 5th, the tac stayed at 4k and the engine sound matched as though it hung up and could not shift out. I did have a check engine light on for a second but after I re-installed my factory air box it went away after a day or so.

My neighbor has one of those devices that you can plug in and check for codes. We are supposed to do that when he has time.

The AC is probably like you said and also when something happens to your car you become more aware of things or at least you should.

I have also removed the fuse to reset my ecu on a few occasions just to see if that would make a difference in the possible power lose.