Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Pics: My TC from Consumer Electronics Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 12:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys. Really appreciate the comments. It took a lot of long hours to get this thing built. Yes, the car is auto because I believe that automatic turbo cars are nothing to *** wit.

Heavily moded autos can not be beat by a manual no matter how good of a driver you are. Besides I drive in traffic every day.

I am a little tired of the car so I might be replacing for something more serious.

Again, I appreciate the commments. I have personally put in too much time and effort into this project. I wish I could post pictures of the sound system but that is a my own little secret of trade.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sick car! really clean. nice job!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:00 PM
sgj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with ^
Old 04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

diggin the guages in the center
Old 04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
Heavily moded autos can not be beat by a manual no matter how good of a driver you are. Besides I drive in traffic every day.
I find that very hard to believe. If you're talking about straight up "automatic" with no tip or any type of having the ability to switch gears upon your choice, then that's BS.

You're telling me autos are faster?

Yeah, that's exactly why Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, Porsche's, are automatic? Haha, I can't believe you honestly said that. You got a little carried away...anyways nice car. It's not a problem that it's an auto, I was just wondering why it was an automatic.

But to make a statement that auto is faster than manual is just...wow.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

well lets put it this way....if you've got a company that makes a solid auto, and you boost it enough......you can beat a manual.....even if we're talkin about ferrari's and lamborghinis......theres still autos that are faster than those cars....
Old 04-22-2007, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_skier
well lets put it this way....if you've got a company that makes a solid auto, and you boost it enough......you can beat a manual.....even if we're talkin about ferrari's and lamborghinis......theres still autos that are faster than those cars....
Are we talking about a straight line or on a track? Autos are still nowhere near as efficient, that's why it is not the popular choice. Put it this way, you put the same amount of money into one car that's manual, and the same amount of money into the exact same car thats a manual, the manual car will be faster. Arguing that auto's are more efficient/better for speed isn't a big debate..it's obvious.

I do understand the SLR is auto but I believe it is one of the only cars in it's class to be only auto.

Check any website, the times for a manual car will always be better then an automatic...

This debate can't be blown up too big because you can contact any tuner and no one will suggest you to get an auto over a manual for power.

Anyways, I understand, it's a show car and his situation...thats all I wanted to know. Like I said I'm not in the show world so I don't really know much, but as far as the racing world it's a little bit different.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

a built automatic will be faster than a built manual car. obviously you're talking about cars stock vs stock. a stock manual tc is and always will be faster than a stock auto tc. but if you're actually building a drag car, a built auto transmission will be faster than a manual. your hands can only shift so fast, i think bmw's smg in their m3s are faster than the 6sp manual counterpart. depending on the situation, a auto can be faster than a manual and vice versa.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brian
a built automatic will be faster than a built manual car. obviously you're talking about cars stock vs stock. a stock manual tc is and always will be faster than a stock auto tc. but if you're actually building a drag car, a built auto transmission will be faster than a manual. your hands can only shift so fast, i think bmw's smg in their m3s are faster than the 6sp manual counterpart. depending on the situation, a auto can be faster than a manual and vice versa.
In most situations a manual car will be more efficient. BMW's SMG is still essentially tiptronics. Drag car wise, you do have a case, but you do realize if you were to actually tune a car to that extent it probably wouldn't be a daily driver unless you were to program the ECU every time you go to the drag strip and when you leave for daily driving.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

his car is SICK, what does it matter if its stick or auto... it blows your car (and mine) out the water.

its obviously a show car so its made to look nice...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

bmw's smg actually isn't just tiptronic, the smg actually has a clutch, you just don't have a clutch pedal. essentially, a manual automatic gearbox, which is faster than the 6sp manual.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ I know what it is...I said essentially, the point is you MANUALLY flick the paddles. I already stated this in my original post...SMG is not automatic, YOU have control of what gear you are in and when you move gears. That is the central idea.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i gotcha but you can put smg into automatic mode and not hit any paddles at all anyway, back on topic!

love the car!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brian
i gotcha but you can put smg into automatic mode and not hit any paddles at all anyway, back on topic!

love the car!
True...very true.

Our cars don't have that option so it's either auto or manual...

Yes though, VERY nice car.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I should have clarified my comment a little more. When I say racing, I reffer to drag racing. There is a reason why the fastest cars in a 1/4 are autos. There is no reason to argue about it though, because my car has little to do with racing or shows. This is my sound competition car and it fulfills its purpose more then well.

Thanks for comments guys. There were much detailed work that went into this car, which I did on my own. Makes me appreciate your positive comments even more.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's an absolutely beautiful car retrodrive.

GREAT JOB
Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Pics: My TC from Consumer Electronics Show

\
sup man its me jay, i'm the one that picked up ur cf hatch before with my dad, daym ur car is looking nice, i was wondering where u got the material to make this piece? i want to put something similar in that location if u can help out please let me kno thx again man.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Very hot car. I really do like the shift boot with the auto. Looks pretty cool. Was it easy to do?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Pics: My TC from Consumer Electronics Show

Originally Posted by jay_jay_n

\
sup man its me jay, i'm the one that picked up ur cf hatch before with my dad, daym ur car is looking nice, i was wondering where u got the material to make this piece? i want to put something similar in that location if u can help out please let me kno thx again man.
heya Jay! how is it going? This piece is a fiberglassed and painted stock insert. PM me if you want it.

whiteshirt: The shift boot was very easy to do. It is a directfit.

thanks for comments guys.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

can argue all you guys want about auto vs. manual. some people hate autos so much they have nothing better to do than bash on them. I drive both auto's and manuals and like both equally. My tC is an auto because I used to live and commute in a large city with bad rush hours. Personal preference is what it all boils down to and that [auto over manual] is what some people choose. One of the benefits from "racing" an auto is...you'll never mis-shift.

Quick Reply: Pics: My TC from Consumer Electronics Show