Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

PLEASE! need help! my tC was reared/hit today by a LADY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steven_tC
I am all new to this whole, rear-ending.. especially on my new Scion tC =[
this made me laugh
Old 02-15-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that and your s/n made me laugh....

i like that idea tho....i hate when ppl eat my rice...
Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM
SL Member

... and the cop told me i get a 550$ ticket so i have to go to court to show proof of my insurance, i got it e-mailed to me to print right now, it does suck!
Is it just me, or does it sound like we are not getting the whole story here... A cop gives YOU a ticket for getting rear-ended. So, what you are saying is, you were driving around without proof of insurance and with the notion that if you get hit in your new car, Toyota/Scion will pay the price. $550 is still a steep ticket, were you driving with a driver's license? When I bought my scion, I had immediate proof of insurance taken care of at the dealership and I would at least carry an insurance card for the company. If I had to guess, I would say this is your very first car and you have not been driving very long.

So what would happen if you were the middle car or somehow you hit another vehicle, while you were not carrying any proof of insurance? How do you think the person you hit would feel? What if you got hit by someone that did not have insurance at all? Count your blessings that everyone stayed around for the police and that no one got injured. Your vehicle's damages will be taken care of at the cost of the other parties. Live and learn, I guess.

Oh yeah, and why are you emphasizing in the blog title that you got hit by a LADY? Are you surprised that women drive?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I can vouch for the $500 ticket for not having proof of insurance, it's automatic here in WA. I've gotten TWO! Not for driving around without it, but it expired three days before and the Stater was obligated to write me a ticket, I told him he could call the insurance place, but he didn't feel like it... But you just show the Judge you had/have CURRENT insurance AT THE TIME the ticket was written and it will get dismissed.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 AM
SL Member

wow. ilovemytc, that totally sucks. Thanks for the info. I guess WA is just as rough as VA is over on this coast... Do WA cops pull people over and ticket them for having any modifications done to their vehicle, or say, a radar detector? VA is like that.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as getting money for lost time and gas and phone minutes etc, I don't know of any way to do this. I think you may just be stuck there.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had only one Stater give me crap about smoked tails and he was checking my wheel well clearance, it just depends on if u get the a-hole that day. You can have a radar detector, but it has to be in the lower left corner of the windshield.

As for moving violations, it's NO TOLERANCE because there were so many deaths in 2006-7 on HWY 101 (DIE-WAY 101)...which BTW none of the fatalities were caused solely because of speeding
Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont want to be a butt! But like where is the education sysytem going when you dont even knwo that your insurance is what fixs the damage to your car not the dealership just becuase you bought it a few weeks ago. I mean i understand your frustration witht he situation but why you even out on the road if you dotn even know how insurance works. No wonder i hate driving in this state.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is why I never trust or depend on guys who still live at home.

I'm sorry if that sounds mean, but the generations are getting worse and I'm tired of slackers and free loaders.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To the OP....

Did you get a police report?

Who was listed first? A good rule of thumb is that the first person listed is who is at fault, and a claim needs to be placed under THIER insurance company....

Did you get the $550.00 ticket beacuse of no proof of insurance???

As soon as you get proof you should be able to take it to the traffic court and show proof, and I know at least here in Florida, it's like a $17.00 fine or something...

You should have had some proof that you have insurance on you though. Most dealerships give you all of that paperwork before you walk out of the door.

And also a little information on warrantys:

Warrantys only cover non-wear parts....

This means they do not cover, belts, brakes, spark plugs, tires, etc.

A collision is certianly not covered under any warranty.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:28 AM

DANG! i am sorry for the (LADY) and for the stupidity on my behalf, I am actually really stressed out as you can see my situation, I know how insurance works and etc.

I just got a lot of warranties for my Scion tC so I was wondering if I could pocket the money from the other party, ya know?

And if the FRAME is damaged(It's totalled)

So that means the extra thousands i put into for warranty would give me a new car yeah know?
And i'd pocket the check for the estimate damages done to my tC.

And Yes i had a police report done
I also looked up all collision centers to get genuiene Toyota parts and legit Scion mechanics..
I also did the the $550.00 because i didn't have insurance in my car.. i had no idea that my new tC would come near a damage.

I AM ALSO NOT AT FAULT =]
Old 02-17-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, When I got my tC the first day I stopped right at the exit of the dealer opened my glove box and checked for my Temp insurance card and my registration for the 3rd time. I did one my look over and then put it back in the glove box opened the sun roof and drove off slowly.

I even started my insurance 2 days early just to be safe. I don't trust insurance companies too much and didn't what to take any chances.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DANG! i am sorry for the (LADY) and for the stupidity on my behalf, I am actually really stressed out as you can see my situation, I know how insurance works and etc.

I just got a lot of warranties for my Scion tC so I was wondering if I could pocket the money from the other party, ya know?

And if the FRAME is damaged(It's totalled)

So that means the extra thousands i put into for warranty would give me a new car yeah know?
And i'd pocket the check for the estimate damages done to my tC.

And Yes i had a police report done
I also looked up all collision centers to get genuiene Toyota parts and legit Scion mechanics..
I also did the the $550.00 because i didn't have insurance in my car.. i had no idea that my new tC would come near a damage.

I AM ALSO NOT AT FAULT =]

The extra thousands you put into warranty would all be what the insurance company would give back to the dealer... if it is totaled all of the money you get back will be to pay off your loan... I don't think you will see any money at all....
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think shes right....
Old 02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If he is lucky... he will break even.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On a somewhat different subject... do you have GAP insurance? If not, you might be able to add it on, since you just got the car. GAP insurance is part of your loan and usually adds about $5-10 to your monthly payment. If your car is totaled while you are still paying off your loan, GAP insurance will cover the difference between what you owe and the value of your car. In other words, let's say your car gets totaled and you still owe $15,000, but the insurance company looks up your car and it is only worth $10,000. You get the $10,000 and have to pay the extra $5,000 out of your own pocket! GAP insurance would pay that for you. A friend of mine totaled his Nissan pickup when it was only about 4 or 5 months old. He would have lost about $5,000 if it weren't for his GAP insurance.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, by the way, if you were thinking of any upgrades, like LED tail lights or something else in the damaged area, you might be able to work out a deal with the body shop, and you'll only pay the difference between the price of the OEM parts and the upgrade. I did that after an accident in my old Benz and had the body shop install Euro headlights and I just paid them the difference. Cost me less than buying the Euro headlights myself.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:43 PM

...thanks!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Be sure not to settle any personal injury claims until you're positive you're fine... I was recently rear-ended, and didn't start hurting until a week later.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_dub
Be sure not to settle any personal injury claims until you're positive you're fine... I was recently rear-ended, and didn't start hurting until a week later.
It's amazing how a conversation with a personal injury lawyer can cause pain to start, particularly in the "soft tissues"...

Quick Reply: PLEASE! need help! my tC was reared/hit today by a LADY!!!