2005-2010 [ANT10]

Post ALL known problems with tC here:

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nethack4ever
I have a faint whistling or squealing sound when I accelerate in gear. I have a manual transmission tC. The tech said it was just gear whine. It is pretty faint and doesn't happen all the time, and there seems to be no ill effect other than the noise.
There's a vaccuum on the intake of the car ... it makes a whistling noise when you accelerate at a low rpm on a high gear =P and when u shift gears too... i was surprised about it at first, i thought something was wrong ...

but look on the bottom of the hood and u'll see a sticker about the vaccuum.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninerfan
ive had my tc since July 21st, I only have 50 miles on her. but the only issue, and it may not even be an issue, is that when i start the engine when it is cold i fell a slight vibration every 5 seconds until it warms up and then it gone ans the engine is smooth as silk. anyone else notice this.
I was able to read a bit of the service manual and it turns out that the #1 and #3 cylinders fire at once and then #2 and #4 fire at once, and it goes back and forth like that when cold.. so it's a bit of a here-there firing sequence the computer uses.. Seems that *MAY* be the vibration you're feeling, once the engine warms up, the computer goes back to the normal fuel injector sequence.. and your smoothing out.. next time it happens, let us know if it's a pulsation vibration.. guess this is supposed to warm up an engine faster (according to toyota's service manual).. that might be what you're feeling, i thought it was a funky fuel map they were using also!
Old 07-26-2004, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xAzNDeVoTioN
Originally Posted by nethack4ever
I have a faint whistling or squealing sound when I accelerate in gear. I have a manual transmission tC. The tech said it was just gear whine. It is pretty faint and doesn't happen all the time, and there seems to be no ill effect other than the noise.
There's a vaccuum on the intake of the car ... it makes a whistling noise when you accelerate at a low rpm on a high gear =P and when u shift gears too... i was surprised about it at first, i thought something was wrong ...

but look on the bottom of the hood and u'll see a sticker about the vaccuum.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out tomorrow morning.

Your avatar is an xA. Do you have both an xA and a tC? I was considering the xA before I bought the tC. I was *this* close to getting it but my wife complained that it seemed like it was struggling to get onto the freeway during the test drive (I didn't think so). I was driving the automatic so maybe that was it. <shrug>
Old 07-26-2004, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear all these problems about the AC not being cold enough. It sucks for you guys, but I live in Souther California...Los Angeles to be excact. The weather is great here.

Who needs AC? Just roll down the windows, open the roof and drive FAST! :D
Old 07-26-2004, 10:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slikewhoa
I hear all these problems about the AC not being cold enough. It sucks for you guys, but I live in Souther California...Los Angeles to be excact. The weather is great here.

Who needs AC? Just roll down the windows, open the roof and drive FAST! :D
WERD!!!!! but then again....you need AC for when the ladies are in the car.....you dont want their hair to be blowing all over the place...
Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_4EVA
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
Also the majority of posters in this forum doing reviews have been positive.

Kevin
Reviewers spend a couple hours and at the most a couple of days with a car when they write a review. So of course, more positive things are going to pop up. But I like to take more stock in what I read on forums like this. THAT is where you hear things like chassis flex, radio cover getting stuck, creaks here and there, rattling from the rear of the vehicle. Etc.

That could be the reason why Scion scored so poorly in the recent JD Power quality testing. Scions are pulling in the lowest average buying age of any car maker...PERIOD. And we young folks are a picky bunch.
Please note that I ALSO mentioned that vast majority of the owners love the tC so far as well as the publications. You might also check your JD Power ratings again. Scion was low but NOT the lowest.

Kevin
Old 07-26-2004, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_4EVA
These are things that I would NOT expect to take place in ANY car...let alone a Toyota. Our family has an '02 Highlander Limited (complete with moonroof). We have never had ONE problem out of that vehicle. No squeaks, no rattles, nothing failing, no cubbieholes failing to operate proplerly. NOTHING. And THAT is what I would expect from Toyota with the tC. Sure, it costs about half of what we paid for the Highlander, but niggling issues like that should not be a part of the formula. I expect the price difference in quality of materials used, power available and features offered...but not in build quality.
I have similar expectation from the Tc in terms of build quality. I would expect the Tc over time to have equal or better reliability than the Toyota Corolla and Echo as seen below taken from Consumer Reports magazine.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mazrim
I have an AC vent issue. Something I have seen other people post on. When the left driver AC vent is open and angeled towards the driver - at about a 45 degree angle - and the AC is on Max with recirculation, the vent turns itself all the way to the right.

It appears that its not tight enough and the force of the air pushes it over. Kind of annoying and the AC on my hands is not as effective as it being directed at my body.

I just realized it was doing this yesterday and haven't had a chance to call it in. I also need to dig around for that number.
I've noticed the same thing in my tC
Old 07-26-2004, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had high expectations for this car, I expected it to drive like a sports car, have the build quality of Lexus, ride as smooth as a Lexus, and I wanted to feel like I was driving around a $35,000 BMW. This car has fulfilled all of my expectations and then some. This car is more fun then any car I have ever been in. This entire car has a VERY solid feel. I have found this car to be perfect. I think I heard the roof popping noise the other day but it did not sound bad at all, I was expecting worse from what others have been describing. I could not be happier with my purchase. :D
Old 07-26-2004, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JSVH
I had high expectations for this car, I expected it to drive like a sports car, have the build quality of Lexus, ride as smooth as a Lexus, and I wanted to feel like I was driving around a $35,000 BMW. This car has fulfilled all of my expectations and then some. This car is more fun then any car I have ever been in. This entire car has a VERY solid feel. I have found this car to be perfect. I think I heard the roof popping noise the other day but it did not sound bad at all, I was expecting worse from what others have been describing. I could not be happier with my purchase. :D
Well said. I explained the AC and roof popping noise to the service dept. They didn't know anything about them since i am their first tC customer. I asked them to just add more freon and don't bother the roof thingy. I didn't want them to put dents and scratches on my car while trying to figure out what the roof popping noise is :?
Old 07-26-2004, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm sure the cop has no idea whatt's under that hat after you mash the brakes after being lasered and he pulls you over.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trogdor
i'm sure the cop has no idea whatt's under that hat after you mash the brakes after being lasered and he pulls you over.
"What, that wire? No officer, I just keep my electric razor plugged in under there..."
Old 07-26-2004, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't we wish they come out with a bluetooth version ... no wires required. What about a version that looks like your garage opener??
Old 07-26-2004, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

my idea is that a car manufacturer puts a sensor in the front grill and on the rear of the car. Make it an added cost and just put it as unavailable to VA residents. You could make it warn you over your car stereo system. It would be hidden very well, hell VA residents could use it and get away with it if they wanted too.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member

i love the car but my friends got a laugh outa my cheap boot...the boot was stapled...STAPED!!!! and the staples came out and now my shift boot sticks out..boo to that ..but everything else seems good
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chris Lee
i love the car but my friends got a laugh outa my cheap boot...the boot was stapled...STAPED!!!! and the staples came out and now my shift boot sticks out..boo to that ..but everything else seems good
Have the dealer fix it.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll take my chances with my 100% made in Japan Scion!

You want some REAL problems??? Go buy a Chevy silverado truck circa 2000-04 with the cold start "knock" or the GM "death cool" coolant problems that will eventually destroy your radiator and upper intake.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

brought my tC in to get looked at about the creeking in the sunroof, but they dont know what to do >_< They just told me to wait until the company puts out a way to fix the problem
Old 07-28-2004, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by effortless
brought my tC in to get looked at about the creeking in the sunroof, but they dont know what to do >_< They just told me to wait until the company puts out a way to fix the problem
Same thing here at my dealer's service dept...i told them "don't bother checking if you don't know it yet". The last thing i need is some dents and scratches on my new car when they're trying to figure what that is...
Old 07-28-2004, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Problems with tC

I got my tC on the 4th of July and I really dont have anything huge to _____ about I am way more happy with the car then I ever thought I would be.

There is 1 thing I have noticed when i'm on the freeway the car seems to grab the groves in the road and pull a little bit. I'm planning on dropping the suspension and changing rims & tires (maybe 18 or 19) then maybe it will drive a bit more like i want it to.

GREAT CAR!!

Quick Reply: Post ALL known problems with tC here: