Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Post ALL known problems with tC here:

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC looks like a quality built car, at least for the $16,500 that you're paying. 160hp is already good for it's class. The handling I heard could be improved, that's why I might invest another $800 for lowering springs, shocks, strut and sway bar. But in the end, that's only $17,200. The interior will last only as long as you take care of it so that's really up to you.

As for the A/C, some of the early tC models were not filled with enough freon (is that how spell it?). Ask the dealer to look into this and they'll most likely fill it up.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing too serious yet, but:

I might have heard that roof popping once. I wasn't sure what it was and haven't heard it since.
Yesterday, I noticed a squeek in the center trim panel up near the two a/c vents. It squeeks whenever the car hits a bump....I can turn the radio up loud, but I will eventually either take it in or fix it myself...I noticed if I put a few pounds of pressure on the vents, the noise goes away.
When accelerating through 3rd gear the shifter vibrates (sometimes loudly) but doesn't do it in any other gear....I need to drive another tC to compare...
Idle feels rough, again I need to drive another tC.

I'm probably being a little picky and ****, but this is my first new car and I was definetely concerned about purchasing a vehicle this early in production (picked it up June 24th).
Old 07-28-2004, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

I have #5386....

So like many ppl here, I had the creaking/popping noise coming from my roof for about two weeks. Then once i hit 900 miles, the problem seems to have gone away by itself. It used to crack and pop almost every time i hit a bump...now none, nothing...which is strange but i'm happy. I can faintly hear a small creak if i hit a really big bump with my music muted, but i'm not complaining.

As for the A/C, on the advice of Glenn (one of the dealers on the forum), i took it in to get checked. Service dept. checked it with two different gauges as well as a visual and said nothing was wrong. A/C measured at 30 degrees. I didn't really have a big problem with the A/C before, but i jus wanted to make sure (and it gave me an excuse to see the other tC's on the lot ).

So so far, no probs for me....i
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Problems with tC

Originally Posted by tcturbo
I got my tC on the 4th of July and I really dont have anything huge to _____ about I am way more happy with the car then I ever thought I would be.

There is 1 thing I have noticed when i'm on the freeway the car seems to grab the groves in the road and pull a little bit. I'm planning on dropping the suspension and changing rims & tires (maybe 18 or 19) then maybe it will drive a bit more like i want it to.

GREAT CAR!!
The issue you described is caused mainly by wide low profile tires...By putting 18's or bigger, you will only make the problem worse. You need some 15's with 65 series tires on it. LOL
Old 07-28-2004, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pfaudi_a4

When accelerating through 3rd gear the shifter vibrates (sometimes loudly) but doesn't do it in any other gear....I need to drive another tC to compare...
Idle feels rough, again I need to drive another tC.

I'm probably being a little picky and ****, but this is my first new car and I was definetely concerned about purchasing a vehicle this early in production (picked it up June 24th).
hey, for that shifter vibration, that might have to do with the shifter's dampener. check to make sure that the shifter assembly is tightened up and the gaskets are seated properly, etc.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one problem... maybe the sunroof, push it once the back lifts up, push once more itll open automatically, but it doesn't completely open the the way so i gotta push and hold it to completely move back.... im not sure if its auto if you bring it back, i hold the close button and it closes but stops like 2 inches away....

then again i dont mess with my sunroof much...
Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surgetC
I got my tC on the 4th of July and I really dont have anything huge to _____ about I am way more happy with the car then I ever thought I would be.

There is 1 thing I have noticed when i'm on the freeway the car seems to grab the groves in the road and pull a little bit. I'm planning on dropping the suspension and changing rims & tires (maybe 18 or 19) then maybe it will drive a bit more like i want it to.

GREAT CAR!!
The issue you described is caused mainly by wide low profile tires...By putting 18's or bigger, you will only make the problem worse. You need some 15's with 65 series tires on it. LOL
It's called Tramlining.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye
Originally Posted by surgetC

GREAT CAR!!
It's called Tramlining.
Yeah, I noticed it too and I was thinking it was because of the bigger wheels/tires. I'm coming from 13" and skinny tires so I'm not used to it. You gotta be really carefull going over train/street car tracks though...
Old 07-29-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea... if you think about it.....

the radio cover probably will mess up after the years... i test drove i different tC and i tryed to open the cover but it wouldnt come out, i had to push it hard........

as for the moonroof cover, the cover can possibly mess up and you wouldnt able to pull the cover back to cover because the sticky part wont stick and the cover will just spring back... leaving your moonroof cover, uncovered forever.....

plus, no leather seats, so you need to becare of discoloring and fading...

my friend says all these parts are computerized... so just think about it...
Old 08-01-2004, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default RadioDoor

I have a problem with the radio door rattling in the front. It's low in sound but it gets annoying after driving for 15 min. When I baught my TC it did not come with a deck. So all I have is an empty hole. I am thinking that when I get that deck installed that might take care of my problem. Any 1 with the same prob.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it'll take care of the problem just fine :-)..

On the other hand, I've had my car for over a week now, and it only has 400 miles on it but it has been driven every day. As of yet, no problems at all. No A/C issues, no rattling moonroof, nothing, smooth as silk, I love this car.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chris Lee
i love the car but my friends got a laugh outa my cheap boot...the boot was stapled...STAPED!!!! and the staples came out and now my shift boot sticks out..boo to that ..but everything else seems good
2nd day mine did it too...

Old 08-01-2004, 05:06 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Diluvium
one problem... maybe the sunroof, push it once the back lifts up, push once more itll open automatically, but it doesn't completely open the the way so i gotta push and hold it to completely move back.... im not sure if its auto if you bring it back, i hold the close button and it closes but stops like 2 inches away....

then again i dont mess with my sunroof much...
it's supposed to open that way. my IS did the same (except it had auto close as well) hondas and maximas do that too... only mentioning those two cars because i'd seen it personally.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

[quote="jrussell"]
Originally Posted by ghost
You all must take into consideration alignment, rattling, and other noises are not problems as far as Scion corporate is concerned. All you have to do is remove the panel, install some foam tape, and the problem is done. Don't complain to scion corporate about it, for they don't really care.
i'm not sure about all of you but i got a call yesterday from scion corp asking me about my scion experience. so nit isn't as if they dont want to know because they are the ones calling to find out. i mentioned the roof and she said the dealership should be more than happy to fix it if not give them a call and they will make sure. after starting a casual cnovo with her she started telling me how they will be calling everyone and that they are trying to make this as easy on everyone as they can because lets face it there is no way this car can be perfect. as much as we al would like it.

P.S. everyone please pray that my parts come soon!