Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Que Asco!

whats up everybody my names chris i been here for a while and im finally getting my bsp tc im uber happy and excited about it but i have one predicament.

my dad says that as long as he's making payments on any of my cars if i change anything on it he's gonna take it away so i was just gonna try and persuade the crap out of him till he breaks but i doubt that will work( el es muy impaciente)
but i think that i should find a stable job and do what all the kids at my school dont do, pay the car myself and use my left overs from my check to fix it up. its gonna really suck because its gonna be super slow to get the few things i want for it but idk what to do

this was kinda a rant and kinda a way of asking what should i do just fyi
Old 05-09-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My dad bought my car for me and ive had my car for over two years n still haven't been able to pursuade my dad to let me get a tint, springs, etc. Even if i pay!!! Maybe your dad is different at least i hope for you. All i can say is be on your best behavior, get good grades, dont get in trouble. Thats how i got my exhaust which i payed for by the way. Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:32 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeh im scared if i try to persuade that ima not get my car because he'll be like why u wanna fix up a car you like. but ill try to persuade if not ill offer to pay for it and maybe that will make him budge
Old 05-09-2007, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

convince him to at least let you get th trd springs/shocks financed...
Old 05-09-2007, 12:46 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

all i want is scikotics tagged on my visor,rims, fog, tint, lower, and subs really just to look different from the other scions here in my city and maybe if i can find a persuasive way to say that then i'd be good
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

hmmm you know your dad better than any of us, but id say let him pay for it at first, and try to do mods that arent that noticible at first... intake, headers, if you dont lower it too much, i think you might be able to get away with it. or you could have him pay for the car, you get a job and save up some cash, buy the parts you wanna get, then take over the payments and install the stuff you bought.

my 2 cents
Old 05-09-2007, 12:56 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeh i want to just mod it behind his back but idk
Old 05-09-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

bad thing is ... dont get caught
or if ya like... save up cash eventually take over the payments and try to mod. im sure if its take some time he'll see your responsible and not getting power mods is probably a good thing.. at least for now... =o)
Old 05-09-2007, 01:02 AM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeh im not gonna get serious power mods for av whille if i get any.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I definitely would not mod behind his back! That sounds like a really bad idea especially if he already said no. In that case he may even make you asume payments just for disobaying him. Just give it time and break them slowly. Be patient. I know its hard!
Old 05-09-2007, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am in the same situation as you my father is the same, he bought the car, made payments and decided to pay it off before time (which is very dumb but his problem not mine) and the best i could suggest is use the car as you receive it don't care for mods even if in the inside you're dying to mod it. There's a time for everything so try and be as patient as possible and just prove by getting good grades that you're gratefull for him giving you the car you want after that and in time he may loosen up a bit but never ever rush things. I've had the car for 3 years and this method has paid off since he's loosen up on letting me do some mods (TRD exhaust, Hotchkis Sways, OEM Lip Kit, painted calipers, GReddy air div. pannel, injen, etc.)

Hope it helps and enjoy the car and remember at least you got a car there are others who don't have this priviledge!

PS: por que el titulo de "que asco!" ?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dont get a job. stay in school, enjoy the car, get awsome grades, do even better in college, get an awsome job, get a much nicer car.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My dad paid cash for my car, but I still modify my car even tho he doesn't like it. I never tell him what I did to my car but he finds them out eventually. He's not that angry but he always tells me to save money for something else.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

you dad is right... until you can pay for the car, you shouldnt mod it. I bought and paid for my tC by myself with no help from the rents. i only started playing with it until I paid it off. You should do the same.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

I say pay and persuade.
Pay for the car to show some responsibility then persuade your father to show him respect. It will display the fact that not only are you capable of making your own way in life but the fact that you understand his concerns and you take his opinions to heart.

I use to mod "my" cars (16 yrs ago) behind my dads back. He wasn't cool with it, thought I'd f something up. A couple years later I moved back to my home town after college and I had bought the same car as his sept I added Vogtlands, Tokico HPs and 17x8" wheels. He drove it, loved it and had me do his with in the month.

Originally Posted by trdtcpr
...he bought the car, made payments and decided to pay it off before time (which is very dumb but his problem not mine)
Why is that dumb? The only good long term debt is low fixed rate tax deductible debt. An auto loan is non tax deductible unless the car is for a business and the rates usually suck butt.
...I paid my tC off within 6 months.

Originally Posted by trdtcpr
...enjoy the car and remember at least you got a car there are others who don't have this priviledge!
Agreed. ...and you got a cool car to boot. My first car was a metallic poop brown 85 Camry with a 5spd A/C and power nothing. My dad got it during the week and I got it on the weekends ... but it was free and it had a tape deck.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Have you asked him for a reason why you cant mod your car. Maybe he took it out lease, but if not just get a job, and save some money for the parts. Lo peor que te puede pasar es tu papa haserte pagar mitad, por tener un trabajo. Good Luck con tu decicion.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM

trdtcpr wrote:
...he bought the car, made payments and decided to pay it off before time (which is very dumb but his problem not mine)

Why is that dumb? The only good long term debt is low fixed rate tax deductible debt. An auto loan is non tax deductible unless the car is for a business and the rates usually suck butt.
Well that may or may not be dumb, it really depends on the interest rate you have on your loan vs. your expected return on an investment with a similar time frame. For example assuming you can secure a 5 month cd at 5% and the interest rate on your car loan is 4% then you should pay the minimum stick the rest in a CD and pocket the extra 1%. If the interest rate on your car loan is > 5% you should pay off the car, ASAP, because actually costing you more money by investing it. It's all about opportunity cost.

As to your predicament I obviously don't know your father, but knowing mine, modding behind his back would be a BAD idea. You need to build credibility, responsibility, and trust. The best way to do that IMO is to tell him you want to mod your car, save up the money to do it, research, research, research, and then go to him with a complete game plan for what you want to do (including pros and cons). Hounding him incessently probably won't work. Do you like it when your parents hound you about doing chores, staying out late, etc. etc? Probably not, and he probably won't like to be hounded either.

Just my .02
Old 05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zeke
trdtcpr wrote:

Well that may or may not be dumb, it really depends on the interest rate you have on your loan vs. your expected return on an investment with a similar time frame. For example assuming you can secure a 5 month cd at 5% and the interest rate on your car loan is 4% then you should pay the minimum stick the rest in a CD and pocket the extra 1%. If the interest rate on your car loan is > 5% you should pay off the car, ASAP, because actually costing you more money by investing it. It's all about opportunity cost.
True, but investing the rest wasn't a variable in his original statement.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 PM

True, but investing the rest wasn't a variable in his original statement.
That's true, but whenever you are making a decision to accelerate a loan payment or pay the minimum you must take into account the opportunity cost . If you have enough money to pay a loan off early then you have enough money to invest that money, so it should always be a consideration. I know that my eplanation above was simplified a great deal (read this is not investment advice always consult a professional before making investment decisions) it should always be a consideration when making these types of decisions. Sorry for jacking your thread it was not my intent I just wanted to expound a bit on Blue Meanie's original point, that it's not always dumb to pay off a loan early, it really just depends on what your other options are.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
mcd
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a job. use that money to enjoy your highschool days, not to mod the car. be happy you're 16 with a new pimp car and no payments. those jail bait girl's panties will be coming off the second they see you pull up to high school in a tc.