2005-2010 [ANT10]

Radar Detector + Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a_german_named_hans
I'm just gonna take it off. I don't really speed in the first place, i use my radar detector just for reassurance. After all, they're not perfect and won't catch every cop so its not worth the risk speeding all the way down.
True but I've been lucky in my last 3 trips, I usually do 90 the whole way. But this last trip I took 75 up through Ohio. Ohio they are legal but they have lazer detectors mostly in between Columbus and Cleveland lucky the Cobra is good enough to catch them hitting cars in front of me and i know to only keep it no more than 10 above in Ohio.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea also dont go over 80. they can arrest you just for that or its a big **** fine if i remember right.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
yea also dont go over 80. they can arrest you just for that or its a big **** fine if i remember right.
Anything 15 over is reckless driving, anything I believe either 25 over, or in excess of 80 mph is immediately jailable, don't quote me on that but I believe thats how it is. Va is for sure not the place to screw around. They have gotten ridiculously strict on traffic violations in the last 2 years.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 PM

are you sure they are illegal to have? either way my friend just got pulled over with one a few weeks ago and the ticket is a joke it was like 40 bucks or something around there and he lives in va and had it on, cop didnt take it just lectured him about having it.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 PM

also just to let you know its a primary offense so if they see it they can pull you over for it they dont need an excuse
Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by TcTshaw
are you sure they are illegal to have? either way my friend just got pulled over with one a few weeks ago and the ticket is a joke it was like 40 bucks or something around there and he lives in va and had it on, cop didnt take it just lectured him about having it.
yes they are illegal... ever see the signs when you come into the state??? White signs that say "RADAR DETECTORS ILLEGAL" I'm sure its at the discretion of the officer. Did he get pulled by a local cop? Because honestly, I have yet to get pulled by VSP and have someone reasonable, they all seem to be equally dickish!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
SL Member

I know that most everyone is talking about radar detectors but I saw someone say something about window tint being illegal even if you are from another state!
Well this is actually true! Window tint law for VA is 50% front and 35% rear However;
Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that has a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation
Jus thought i would throw that out there!
long story short anything 20% or darker in VA is illegal no matter what state tags you have!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Wow, didn't know about that one. But I haven't been bothered about my 20% all around yet. I guess I've just been lucky so far...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by silvrtc08
I know that most everyone is talking about radar detectors but I saw someone say something about window tint being illegal even if you are from another state!
Well this is actually true! Window tint law for VA is 50% front and 35% rear However;
Any person who operates a motor vehicle on the highways of this Commonwealth with sun-shading or tinting films that has a reflectance of light exceeding twenty percent shall be guilty of a traffic infraction but shall not be awarded any demerit points by the Commissioner for the violation
Jus thought i would throw that out there!
long story short anything 20% or darker in VA is illegal no matter what state tags you have!
I had 2 tint tickets, and an exhaust ticket with Ohio plates. (And they didn't know about my military status).
Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yeldak
Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Anything 15 over is reckless driving, anything I believe either 25 over, or in excess of 80 mph is immediately jailable, don't quote me on that but I believe thats how it is. Va is for sure not the place to screw around. They have gotten ridiculously strict on traffic violations in the last 2 years.
Thats why I like living in TX, I-10 speed limit is 80 mph. Suck on gas mileage but you get there fast. Also need to watch out for animals and road kill.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
Btw, there is such a thing as a radar detector detector detector. Some radar detectors have detector detector detection capabilities.
?????? a radar detector detector detector ???????

WTF!!!!????

So, will the police then come out with a radar detector detector detector detector?

I think I just got an anuerys
Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I drive in VA all the time with my Radar Detector ON. Basically you have to look for the types of radars that they run and buy one that avoids them accordingly. My good friend taught me about all the types of radar guns they run and the main one you have to look for is the

Spectre Test

http://www.radarbusters.com/spectretestsarticle.cfm

Basiaclly I have the Beltronics STI Driver, Even if a cop is right beside me(actually happened 2 weeks ago where my radar was on and the cop was right beside me running K BAND) the cop will not detect it. Now of course if the cop sees it in plain sight of course he will know you have one but you just have to hide it accordingly.

:D
Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Beltronics STI Driver is the only radar detector in the world that can't be detected. It's made out of some type of magnesium to make sure the emissions from the detector never make it to the cop. I think RadarRoy has an article about this.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

hmmm, maybe I need a Bel STI when I get my stimulus check.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

which one is the one that pays your speeding ticket? I hear the commercials on the radio once in a while and i looked it up once, $150 for the jammer and i think $200 or $250 for the jammer $ radar detector combo.

I thought about getting it but not really sure if it was worth it or was even for real on their claims.

Its too easy to speed in my tC. i cant really feel how fast im going and when i look down at the speedo, im going about 80+ in a 65.

but thats why i always have my cobra 11 band on. too many speed traps around here during the day.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe 1500 for a jammer. Those buggers are expensive and illegal everywhere.

Radar detectors only detect radar/laser frequencies, they don't tamper with them which is why they're usually legal. A laser jammer actually destroys the frequency which is why they're illegal.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Certain jammers are illegal but there are some that are legal because they do not produce radio waves only disperse the ones that are hitting your car. its called passive jamming. active jamming is the one that is illegal.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SATownScion
which one is the one that pays your speeding ticket? I hear the commercials on the radio once in a while and i looked it up once, $150 for the jammer and i think $200 or $250 for the jammer $ radar detector combo.
http://www.k40.com/

K40 makes a "stealth" system, they'll pay your tickets, price upwards of $1000

they also make some standard dash board systems, I think i might get one
Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SATownScion
Certain jammers are illegal but there are some that are legal because they do not produce radio waves only disperse the ones that are hitting your car. its called passive jamming. active jamming is the one that is illegal.
It doesn't really matter if the jammer operates actively or passively. There are laws on the books which forbid the operation of any device which interferes with police equipment. If an officer can prove you interfered with his radar or laser in any way, then he can hit you with a big fine. The issue is not legality, because any type of jammer is illegal, but the question is whether or not a jammer can be detected. Certainly, a passive jammer would be less detectable.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Teckademics in the yellow bimmer(gumball 3000) went through a state that outlawed radar detectors. The bimmer radar picked up the cop right as they were being tagged and braked hard enough for the cop to be suspicious and pulled them over. Pretty funny vid of when the cop is arguing with them about where they put the radar detector b/c he knew they had one.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector + Virginia