Wagonistas
SL Member

the randode pro shifter features both shorter throw and shorter handle height
Old 09-28-2005, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by airswipes
lol.. dont know where you go off saying the others shorten just the height and not throws.. but i can definitely say that my creative compact shortened the height, the stiffness and the throw...
What some of them are trying to say is that the throw is shortened ONLY because of the shorter height. And that's just not true. If it were, people would just cut/rethread their stock shifter b/c it would be pointless to buy a new one. And I don't think they would be nearly $100+ if that were the case.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
the randode pro shifter features both shorter throw and shorter handle height
and its only $60
Old 09-28-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has a 48mm L/R and 63mm F/R through now so going to cut and weld again and make it around 42mm L/R and 45mm F/R. I also changed the angle and the height and location a bit so I can reach it perfectly while autocrossing, etc, never missed one shift yet and it will be even better the next time as matching the position perfecty for the new race seats installed since rebuilding it the first time

Cost? A couple of bucks in welding wire and gas at the most

Rick
Old 02-12-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'am going to buy the TWM stage 2 kit: seems like most people like TWM the best for short throw kits.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by TimmyT
Well only the TRD shortens the throw. THe rest shorten the throw by shortening the height. So the TRD is the only one out now. To get the same feel of the other shorten stick shifters all you gotta do is grab lower on your stock stick

It also comes with a hefty 200+ dollar price tag FYI
You couldn't be more wrong. Please make sure you do your research before you post from now on.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by nauticac
Well only the TRD shortens the throw. THe rest shorten the throw by shortening the height. So the TRD is the only one out now. To get the same feel of the other shorten stick shifters all you gotta do is grab lower on your stock stick

You couldn't be more wrong. Please make sure you do your research before you post from now on.
yeah timmy boy could not have been more wrong. lol.
EVERY SS out shortens the throw but not all reduce the hight by much. i personally have a b&m and i love all but the hieght. i had to cut to make me happier so with that in mind for those who like shorter hight and throw i would reccommend the twm2,

as for TRD it is expensive but it is a complete replacement for the shift assembly and come with the trd ****. so if you ever plan on selling your car removing will be simple and you wouldnt really end up loosing any money.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like reduced throw but not really reduced height so much. Technically speaking, the best performance set up is a high shifter - so that you don't have to move your hand as much.

Ever seen the shifter in a Koenignessengeenseenesgegeseg CCX? It's as tall as the steering wheel! But... you barely have to move your hand to shift.

edit: here you go

Old 02-12-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha! TimmyT posted that 1.5 years ago!

Originally Posted by paul34
I like reduced throw but not really reduced height so much. Technically speaking, the best performance set up is a high shifter - so that you don't have to move your hand as much.
edit:

Ever seen the shifter in a Koenignessengeenseenesgegeseg CCX? It's as tall as the steering wheel! But... you barely have to move your hand to shift.

edit: here you go

I agree! Thankfully B&M only reduces the height slightly. IMO, the perfect type of driving position can be found in a Miata, S2000, Saturn Sky..... basically roadsters. They have high center consoles so the shifter **** still looks low but is actually very close to the steering wheel.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if this will work, why not get a TRD true short throw and a short shifter together to make a super short throw.... I guess this'll work. I wouldn't mind trying this and see.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

LOL I didn't realize this thread was that old..idk why it got bumped somehow haha.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL I didn't realize this thread was that old..idk why it got bumped somehow haha.
sry that was me how bumped it.. i just wanted to know some opinions about the twm stage 2 SS kit. i can't wait until it gets here on tuesday with my momo shift ****.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

^ You'll love it.

Originally Posted by dieselstation

stop giving out misinformation.

ALL the short shifts out right now shorten the height AND the throw (cept for TRD.. just throw). NOT JUST THE HEIGHT!
How are you so sure I am giving out bad information? You can look at the shifters compared to the stock shifter, They are exactly the same save for Height. NOW I am sure if you do some math involving the traveling distance from the end of the stock shifter during shifting, compared to lets say the 2" shorter twm stage 2 shifter. I think you'll find about 35% shorter is the travelling difference. I personally haven't done the math. But I am pretty sure the numbers add up.
My CC shifter is shorter on the top and longer on the bottom effectively raising the pivot. The housing is also raised with bushings so the lower half will clear the floor. It is a real short throw shifter.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the Doc Iso. short shifter installed. It reduces height and throw perfectly IMO. Not to mention his pricing is VERY decent. It is a true SS as well, since it raises the pivot point.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I have the Doc Iso. short shifter installed. It reduces height and throw perfectly IMO. Not to mention his pricing is VERY decent. It is a true SS as well, since it raises the pivot point.
I also have the Doc I short shifter. You can't beat the price and I got it at a comfortable height for me; you're not going to find a shorter throw either.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Very true.. and given the discussions I have been involved in with him and his posts here and on more technical based sites such as ystc I have a lot more faith in his knowledge and reliability than a lot of companies out there. I can say from experience he is a good guy to work with from both vendor and conumers perspective.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Very true.. and given the discussions I have been involved in with him and his posts here and on more technical based sites such as ystc I have a lot more faith in his knowledge and reliability than a lot of companies out there. I can say from experience he is a good guy to work with from both vendor and conumers perspective.
He took time to answer all of my technical questions, and it only took three days from order to install of a custom shifter. Plus, his shift cage bushings are very well thought out. While he changes the shifter pivot point, he raises the cage so the bottom of the shifter is back in the OEM position and you don't have to put as much effort into shifting as you do with the others.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by FLINT
i just cut my shifter down a little and rethreaded it. topped off with a chrome **** with green LEDs in it, i'm more impressed with the flywheel for trans upgrade
word to the fellow Georgian

I bought dr. isotope's short shifterization which pretty much means he adjusts the pivot ball location and cuts the stick and rethreads it exactly like OEM (for a 50-60% reduction in throw)... oh did I mention it is only 50 bucks you can't beat that deal. I bet you can even ask him to make the shift the same height with the reduced throw, I bet he can do it.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just looked into this and it looks pretty nice. I did notice the 50% throw reduction, however - that seems like quite a reduction! Is it possible to have "too much" reduction? It seems the other guys only go a max of 35%.

For the price, and from your guys' experiences and the description on his website, it all seems much more thought-out than other SSs out there. As a fellow engineer I can appreciate that.

Hopefully I'm not jacking the thread, but I guess the "full" package Iso offers would be best as far as upgrading the entire shifting experience, not just the shifter?
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think it is perfect. Any more reduction either way and shifting would start to get tougher, but so far I think it is perfect. The gearswitcher package (There are two I think, but the full package) comes with the shifter, cage bushings and cable bushings. I havent installed the cable bushings simply because I have had zero time. I did the short shifter install and had to leave directly afterwards. That was two weeks ago So I will pop them in pretty soon. But I am happy with the shifter.

Quick Reply: Real short shifter kit: Do they exist?