2005-2010 [ANT10]

A really bad saturday night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default A really bad saturday night...

I was driving home from some midnight bowling and fell asleep... ( can you guess where this story is headed already? ) I woke up in time to realize I was driving on the wrong side of the road, panicked, tried to do a U-ish turn into a parking lot entrance and took out a piece of sign that belongs to a big plaza and bank. At this point my front right fender, wheel, and headlight looked like a fish after a bear bight. The first thing I thought in my head was to call my dad & he came to the scene of the accident helped me change what was left of the tire with a spare and we took the tC home at a blazing 20mph with fender knocking and all.

Some of you might already know how I made a bad situation even worst at this point...

I wait until the following day to call the police and file a report...
The first thing the officer says "so you've committed a crime and called me here because you want to turn yourself in" Up until now I guess I wasn't aware of how serious the situation really was. I go down to the police station and talked to the guy for close to 3 hours. I'm charged with a hit and run (leaving the scene of an accident/not notifying property owner) and he kept pushing on me to say that I was drinking and driving and that's why I waited to report the accident so I'm not sure if that's a separate conviction that they're going to pursue but I WAS NOT DRINKING AND DRIVING yet this guy was sitting in front of me practically convinced that this was a DUI case...

So the accident was at 2 am sunday police report at about 5 pm the same day. And I went to the bank this morning to notify them about the situation and waiting for contact information for the 88th St Plaza owners. I'm going to meet with a lawyer tomorrow morning and my insurance claim is being processed.

What I'm not sure of is if I pay for all the damages to the property owners will I still be prosecuted for a hit and run & should I be worried that they wanted to convict me of a DUI?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they can't convict you of a DUI because there is absolutely no way they can prove what your blood alcohol level was at the time of the incident, they can only speculate, and try to get you to admit it.

as for the hit and run, yeah, they definetely can get you for that, since you waited over 12 hours to contact the police and report what happened. all of that could have been avoided if you had just called the police from the scene of the incident and gotten the report done at that time.

now why do they want to convict you of a DUI, well, you went bowling, which is pretty synomous with drinking (atleast alot of my friends did) and then you fell asleep while driving home, drove on the wrong side of the road, and hit something, and left the scene of the accident. why would you do that? they can only speculate, since they have never met you before and don't know anything about you, they can only assume the worse. but if you weren't drinking, you can bring the friends you were bowling with and have them testify that you did not drink that evening.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
they can't convict you of a DUI because there is absolutely no way they can prove what your blood alcohol level was at the time of the incident, they can only speculate, and try to get you to admit it.

as for the hit and run, yeah, they definetely can get you for that, since you waited over 12 hours to contact the police and report what happened. all of that could have been avoided if you had just called the police from the scene of the incident and gotten the report done at that time.

now why do they want to convict you of a DUI, well, you went bowling, which is pretty synomous with drinking (atleast alot of my friends did) and then you fell asleep while driving home, drove on the wrong side of the road, and hit something, and left the scene of the accident. why would you do that? they can only speculate, since they have never met you before and don't know anything about you, they can only assume the worse. but if you weren't drinking, you can bring the friends you were bowling with and have them testify that you did not drink that evening.
The only way they can convict you of a DUI is if you break under pressure....
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

rule #1 Never admit to anything you did not do........
rule #2 Never admit to anything you did do........
rule #3 never forget rule #1 and #2

I find great honor in your going to the police and admiting you had an accident and as suchtaking responsibility for your actions......but never admit to anything you did not do......and in America last I checked you have the right to an attorney........before questioning and have the right to stop answering questions at any time and request an attorney........

geez I think I have been questioned too many times in life.........
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You shouldn't be worried of them trying to convict you of anything, because speculation (rightfully so) doesn't hold up in court. Get a lawyer, pronto, and don't speak to the cops without them around.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

ya i know you know you shouldnt have waited that long, but i have been there. i crashed into a building a few years back and waited until the morning to call mainly because i was so scared and didnt know what to do. my parents we only concerned with my health and didnt think to call the police because i was only 16 at the time and it would have made matters worse all the questions and shiz. what ended up happening was i wasnt convicted of hit and run but i had to pay for all the damage.

ps. they tried the same thing on me, wanting to pin a DUI on me, but its hearsay and that will NEVER hold up in court. just think about everything you say. i would write it out first so that you can see what you are saying. also, get a lawyer and dont talk to the cops anymore, let the lawyer do it.

wow ive been around too many cops i think.

good luck, keep us posted.

pss. are you ok? physically?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn..this is one of those few cases where doing the ''right'' thing could actually turn out hurting you more - BUT if this place had video camera's there's the chance you would've been screwed anyway so like everyone else has said get a lawyer and don't do any further communication with the police dept. without them around..I imagine besides all the driving charges you might get sued by the owner(s) of the bank/plaza as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well to compound the situation I'm a pharmacy A-tech and if I have a criminal record I lose my license. I'm glad to know that I really have nothing to worry about for the DUI now I guess. Just crossing my fingers the Hit/Run will go well in court. The date is on Oct 14.

I'm not hurt in anyway but the anxiety from this whole situation is driving me crazy.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't even have called in the first place, it's a sign so what...if it was somebody's car then yeah, but man a piece of sign.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: A really bad saturday night...

Originally Posted by Phobboi
...I WAS NOT DRINKING AND DRIVING yet this guy was sitting in front of me practically convinced that this was a DUI case...
Wow.

1. That guy is a total a-hole
2. That guy shouldn't be a cop

Best of luck to ya!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Repeat after me:

"What sign?" "I have NO idea what you are talking about!"
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Sign

Originally Posted by andrewStC
I wouldn't even have called in the first place, it's a sign so what...if it was somebody's car then yeah, but man a piece of sign.
Doesn't matter if it's a sign or someone else's car. You'd be ____ed if it was your property. I hope karma brings this kind of mentality back to your door someday so that you can respect the property rights of others.

GT
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Sign

Originally Posted by gtran1502
Originally Posted by andrewStC
Doesn't matter if it's a sign or someone else's car. You'd be ____ed if it was your property. I hope karma brings this kind of mentality back to your door someday so that you can respect the property rights of others.

GT
I still say it's better to NOT get caught.

Oh yes, and who the hell says karma is fair???? You're as liable to get keyed tomorrow and be left there scratching your head as I am. In fact, more so since I NEVER leave my "good"cars where it could happen.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
CXT
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nextb time call a lawyer first....call the cops never.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

For what it's worth you sound like a good guy. I like people who take responsibility for themselves. Sorry it's not going the easy way, But you did the right thing. That is something to be proud of.
Integrity is a rare thing.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frosty355
For what it's worth you sound like a good guy. I like people who take responsibility for themselves. Sorry it's not going the easy way, But you did the right thing. That is something to be proud of.
Integrity is a rare thing.
x2 - owning up to the damage you caused FTW.
Do unto others...

You insurance rates should not go up as they would if you got a DUI - because there is nothing saying you were DUI. If you are charged with DUI it will go on the report, but it doesn't sound like that is going to happen.

My prediction:
best case - your charges are thrown out since you did come forward and do the right thing and there were no other people involved.
mid-case - charge will be reduced to wreckless or failure to control and you pay a fine (which would have happened if you called the cops from the scene)
worst case - conviction of hit and run with leniency for coming forward and handling the damages, likely suspended sentence, fine, possible probationary license.

People get off scott-free for a lot more than this all the time.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks again for all your support and inputs guys. The lawyer my mom called has been a no-show and hasn't returned our call. Still hoping I have enough time to put together something that might be able to dismiss my case.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

No comment other than just think next time and use better judgement on driving in these situations.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't listen to the cops, they are trying to get an easy conviction out of you and want you to plead guilty. If they ask you questions don't answer them until your lawyer is there or something along those lines. It will cost money to have the lawyer but the worst thing you can do is ask/talk to the cops about the situation and what you should do. They will tell you what to do based on what is best for them. I probably would have just gone to the Pizza shop and told them and worked out a deal to pay for their sign. And like the other guy said Don't admit to ANYTHING regardless of weather it is true or not. Let the lawyer and judge figure all of that stuff out. But hey we all live and learn.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Run to mexico or canadia

Quick Reply: A really bad saturday night...