Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rear tC Window Tint... Silver along the lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear tC Window Tint... Silver along the lines?

Ok i went to a tint shop today, and i was told by the installer that on the rear window, where there are like multiple lines, the tint would show up silver along those lines since the tint would not be actually touching the window due to the black, i guess, vynl?
Has this happend to you? They told me that they could cover those line with a Black Vynl but for an extra $50.

Just curious how your tint installers installed the tint in the rear.

Ok Thanks

oh yah, the installer is going to be installing "Lluma Star" tint this friday, just wanted some feedback on the rear, thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default rear window tint

Don't listen to them! They are just trying to rip you off for an extra $50! I had ALL of my rear window tinted right over those lines.. there is absolutely NO problem with the tint not sticking in between the lines. I was worried about it, because my Honda Accord Coupe had this dot matrix in the window which would NOT hold the tint. I asked the tint guy about it, and they guaranteed me that the TC with the lines is no problem at all. If you want to see a picture of how mine came out, e-mail me.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problems with my tint either. even the dots around the window, there is no air around them, so it looks pretty nice. Used 3M tint (the cheap one, not the one that can take ammonia) and it costed me 110 dollars.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hi UCSD,
What tint shop did you go to? I got my tint done at Diamond Tint on Miramar Road. They also recommended that I get the extra vinyl for the top of the hatch for $50 to prevent the silver lines. I asked if I could come back later to add it if needed for the same price and they said yes. So, I just had the Lluma Star tint (what you are getting) placed over the entire hatch. It looks perfect. The vinyl was definitely not necessary so I'm glad I didn't spend the $50. -Jayme
Old 08-09-2004, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Thanks for the replies!
Yah GeminiTwin, I went to the Diamond Tint on MiraMar too. The one girl was someone pushing me to get the vynl so it will not be 'silver'. i dont get why they say that since Diamond is pretty known to do a very good job. But yah, i guess they were trying to be on the safe side?
Anyways, i'm curious what they quoted you on lluma star.

They quoted me $199 + tax for 5 windows.

Also what Percentage did you get.

Ok thanks, hopefully it will come out as good as yours did.
Do you have any pics of it by the way
Old 08-09-2004, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hi UCSD,

I paid $249 + tax for 5 windows. So maybe I didn't get the Lluma Star but got the one above it. I paid whatever it said on their price list on the wall :-). I got my windows tinted at 15%. 20% would probably look just as good with a little better night visibility. There are some pics of my car on cardomain (click on link in signature). I'm sure yours will look great too! -Jayme
Old 08-09-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Gemini,
Yah there's a special this month. Get the Lluma Star for the Stealth Price. So I guess i was lucky for this deal But then again, you are probably more lucky since you got your car first way before i did. Ok well thanks again. Hopefully i don't get silver lines on the hatch.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ok i got 2 ply 5% on all five windows. the trick to make it stick on the black lines is easy . you take steel wool and spray that part with water and then rub on it to take the glaze of the top layer of it. then tint and wallah it doesnt come off and it sticks just fine
Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope that the tinters install the Tint so that there are no silver lines. They Better! Or i'm gonna just put black electrical tape on those lines haha
Old 08-09-2004, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

man...where do u guys go to get tint?!

i've been tinting all of my car since my very first one... and i never paid over $120.

I just got my tC tinted this saturday ... got LIMO (5%) tint for the rear hatch and H3 level (dark i think it's 15% or 10%) tint all around ... and these have the metallic composite for longer durability. In fact, the place i went to in Anaheim charged me $115 for the whole thing with life-time warranty against any defect, peel, bubble, etc...

The have $95 special with 3 year warranty ...but it's not the metallic film.

i'll be posting pix soon of my ride... hopefully this weekend when i buy a digi-cam... or if i can borrow one...cuz my previous one was stolen.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I guess california is a different world

Paid $100 (cash) for llumar 15% all around. no "silver" no problems with sticking - looks nice and dark.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it depends on the kind of tint and the tint installer. I could've gotten tint for all 5 windows for like $70 out the door. But i decided to go with a well known tint shop and one of the best brand of tints out there, but then again, it is $200. But then again, its lifetime warranty on everything, even color fading
Old 08-10-2004, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got mine tinted this weekend also, I only got the three in the back, not the front, 90 bucks and I think it's 21%. Looks really good and I can still see out them at night.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I went in and had my Tc tinted this past Sat. - 32% Solarguard all around and I don't have any silver lines but i do have about 5 or so small air bubbles along the rear window...

I really think they rushed the job and didn't take there time but they gave me a "those should dry out within 4 days" lifetime guarantee speech - well it's been 3 days and absolutely none of them has gone down in size.

Before I head in and go ballistic either tommorrow or Thur. morning just asking if there's any truth to this theory..air bubbles drying out on their own and I should give them more time? Or should I go down there and have them take a heat gun and instruments in taking the bubbles out immediately?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Scion_Nole
I went in and had my Tc tinted this past Sat. - 32% Solarguard all around and I don't have any silver lines but i do have about 5 or so small air bubbles along the rear window...

I really think they rushed the job and didn't take there time but they gave me a "those should dry out within 4 days" lifetime guarantee speech - well it's been 3 days and absolutely none of them has gone down in size.

Before I head in and go ballistic either tommorrow or Thur. morning just asking if there's any truth to this theory..air bubbles drying out on their own and I should give them more time? Or should I go down there and have them take a heat gun and instruments in taking the bubbles out immediately?
air bubbles will never go away..unless it's water bubble. If the bubble look like it's filled with water..then it should go away...but if u can feel it and seems like there's air in there... SOL. I would take the car back for service.

good luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by UCSDPinoy
Well it depends on the kind of tint and the tint installer. I could've gotten tint for all 5 windows for like $70 out the door. But i decided to go with a well known tint shop and one of the best brand of tints out there, but then again, it is $200. But then again, its lifetime warranty on everything, even color fading
Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'd rather pay more to make sure it is high quality and won't end up looking like crap in a few years :-). -Jayme