Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Remote Starter

whats a good and cheap remote starter for my 08 tc 5 speed and is there any DIY so i can do it myself
Old 12-11-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have never installed alarms before, it is not recommended you try this on your own. It's not like wiring up a radio and you might end up setting off an airbag if you aren't careful. It's best to leave it to the guys at Best Buy since installation is usually free with their units. They should be able to show you around the showroom to explain the difference in each so you can find the one that best suits your needs. They might not hook up a remote starter on a manual though so always have a back-up plan for an installer.

FYI, www.the12volt.com = your best friend for anything electrical on any car.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do this for a living and most pro shops and best buys dont do manuals due to liability, as for DIY these arent DIY by anymeans you actually need a handheld Data bitwriter to program the following brands Viper, Avital, Python,Clifford, Hornet, and Valet all of which are made By Directed Electronics. they all have about the same life span and are very reliable but not DIY friendly due to the indepth wiring and fact you would need a bit writer to program it all, and that we have chips in out keys there is also an interface needed to either hold your valet key inside the interface or some are computer controlled interfaces that just mock the key chip

also, if you went with a remote start only with no keyless entry toyota built all thier vehicles to where the car wont lock while its running, there for if you remote startit and manually lock it you will have to manually unlock it by sticking the key in the door and turning the key, kinda lame but thats how they did it.

Last edited by dpaine; 12-11-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good and cheap electronics are the last thing you want touching a modern vehicle. As stated, go with Directed Electronics. Best Buy's prices include basic install, you will need a bypass module such as the PKALL (key only req. for programing) or a 556U (which requires your to lose a key for operation) The tC also has two starter wires. If you don't know what a SPDT is you shouldn't even attempt this. Because you will need to use two of them to install at least a remote start in a 5spd tC. Also, with Best Buy they guarantee their work, nationwide, for as long as you own the car. You go on vacation and something goes wrong if there is a Best Buy near your spot, they can help.

dpaine, the car can be locked while its running. I drive my tC everywhere with the doors locked. I think what you mean was you can't lock the doors with the key in the ign. and the door open.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

best buy FTW only cause i work there lol
Old 12-11-2009, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^some of the best buys ftw, some people there have no clue what they are doing.

I agree leave the alarms and stuff to the professionals, but you might have a hard time finding someone to do it for a manual.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no offense but i hate best buy installs peeling the plastic coating off the wires and wrapping the wires around and taping is not what i call a good install or connection, im sorry but i solder everything and make it look factory i give a lifetime warranty on my work and the brain of my product and a one year on the transmitter. now maybe your bestbuy is different but i know the ones around me do as i said and its shady.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i think it varies upon all the best buys, i work sales for the car audio dept but i watch them sometimes and worked with them for about 2 years and they are great and well knowledgable, but then the best buy 5 miles away... i dont even want to talk about it
Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superwhitecoke
yeah i think it varies upon all the best buys, i work sales for the car audio dept but i watch them sometimes and worked with them for about 2 years and they are great and well knowledgable, but then the best buy 5 miles away... i dont even want to talk about it

haha yeah i know what you mean there is 1 installer at our local bestbuy that knows what hes doin only because he previously worked at a real proshop
Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically, you don't need a bit writer for the majority of the DEI products if you have a user manual and can play morse code with the valet button and siren for about 2 hours until you get everything setup how you like it. I just connected my turbo timer mode for mine yesterday using that method on my Python 990.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Place in Jersey did my install. Did a flawless job.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is nothing wrong with proper military splicing. Which is followed with soldering the connection. As with any large retailer you have discrepancies between the "same" store based on location. I'm sure many can relate to being told one thing at this Toyota dealership versus being told another at that dealer, it happens everywhere.