Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]
View Poll Results: Do people bug you about the tC replacing the Celica and all that Jazz?
Yes
23.73%
No
76.27%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

"...it replaced the Celica..."

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default "...it replaced the Celica..."

When being questioned what kind of car the tC is, do you find yourself explaining that the tC replaced the Celica and that Toyota no longer builds the Celica?

(can someone help me make a poll out of this with the answers being either yes or no please?)
Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No.

To add poll:
-Type your question.
-Type "Yes"
-Click 'Add Option'
-Type "No"
-Detemine how many days you want the poll to run.
-Click 'Submit'.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

no, because I don't feel that it replaces the Celica. My mother has an '05 Celica (different front bumper cuts and taillights than the previous model years), and I have an '06 tC. The seats in the Celica are very low, and the shifter is high; it's almost like going into a plane cockpit. If you're six feet tall, you DON'T want to sit in the back of a Celica. Conversely, people who won't fit into the driver's seat of a tC have a better chance in a Celica. And of course that leaves out the 1.8L engine versus the tC's 2.4L.

They're different sport coupes, each good in their own respect. But I wouldn't consider the tC to be "the Celica's replacement". I hope they bring back the Celica, perhaps with body restyling.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

poll added!
Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

toyota doesn't have any kind of sports car right now. if it replaced the celica... i think it would still be a toyota... they gave it a new marquee... or whatever you want to call it.. with the camry engine... i think it's more like a 2 door camry... yeah the solara is the 2 door camry... but... it's just smaller and more budget minde.d
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by arbnpx
no, because I don't feel that it replaces the Celica. My mother has an '05 Celica (different front bumper cuts and taillights than the previous model years), and I have an '06 tC. The seats in the Celica are very low, and the shifter is high; it's almost like going into a plane cockpit. If you're six feet tall, you DON'T want to sit in the back of a Celica. Conversely, people who won't fit into the driver's seat of a tC have a better chance in a Celica. And of course that leaves out the 1.8L engine versus the tC's 2.4L.

They're different sport coupes, each good in their own respect. But I wouldn't consider the tC to be "the Celica's replacement". I hope they bring back the Celica, perhaps with body restyling.
even if you're 5'6" you dont want to sit back there. especially when the driver is 6'2"
Old 10-14-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

noooo. The Celica was a sports car, the tC is NOT! I really hate it when people try to act like the tC is a sports car, or "sports coupe," or sports anything, because its freakin not. It's a regular freakin car, for the younger demographic. That is all. Please move along folks.

Sorry had to just get that off my chest...
Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our car is a hybrid, kinda sporty kinda luxury. All fun.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by paul34
noooo. The Celica was a sports car, the tC is NOT! I really hate it when people try to act like the tC is a sports car, or "sports coupe," or sports anything, because its freakin not. It's a regular freakin car, for the younger demographic. That is all. Please move along folks.

Sorry had to just get that off my chest...
I AGREE and disagree
The tC is not a sports car!!no argument there

The celica is NOT a sports car. At best the vvti is SPORTY but its not a sports car.
( exept the GT4 Celica rally rep which I dont think was released here )

The last SPORTS car Toyota made was the Supra.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

umm NO that's absurd
Old 10-14-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

i think it is taking a lot of the sales from the Celica, yes
Old 10-14-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well it's not hard to take sales from a car that's not actively being marketed or even produced. When my mom bought the Celica in late 2004, they said there were about 6 on the entire east coast
Old 10-14-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

i sold my 94 celica for a brand new 06 scion tc :D haha

so yeah, I replaced the celica for the scion :D hahahaha
Old 10-14-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, the celica is not even close to a sports car. The supra version was closer, and the all trac was good, but not near a sports car. A sports car is built around performance with the creature comforts coming next. A celica, while handling well, is not even close. Niether is anything in its class.

The celica was cool. But still just a sporty coupe. As a matter of fact, most of them were fairly slow.

And no, no-one has ever asked me if the tC replaced it. But it was the car to fill the gap. The tC is faster than most models of celica, doesnt handle as well, but has more features and falls into the same basic market segment.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Celica is not a sports car.
Yes, Toyota stopped the Celica because Scion needed a sporty car. If the Celica existed today, it would compete with the tC.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend Tony drives a Celica GT-S. Very, very nice car. Definately out of the tC's price or option range.

Still, it's not a 'Sports Car.' It's a 'Sport Coupe' if anything.

With my full TRD suspension, my tC just begins to have the nice, firm, stable ride and handling of the Celica.

Plus, he has the autostick--which I wish the tC had--and a lot of other features that the tC can't compete with.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Officially, it didn’t “replace” anything. It is just a new car to add to the Scion lineup.

A few years ago I was thinking about buying the newer design of Celica. Then put it off so I could run my then-current car to the ground. Last year when it died, was resuscitated, then started to keel over again, I went looking for that low mileage Celica. Being unsuccessful, I decided to go with something else. Ended up going with the tC. So I guess you could say the tC replaced my first choice of a Celica.

As far as the “sport car” references, neither the tC or the Celica is a sport car (even though they both look sporty). My definition of a sport car is a car with exceptional handling and power while still being stock. Not a car that can achieve this through modification. What we have here is a tuner-car. Nice cars, but still nowhere close to being an actual sports car.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think if the Scion brand never existed, the tC would have become the next Celica.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by yellowxboy
i sold my 94 celica for a brand new 06 scion tc :D haha

so yeah, I replaced the celica for the scion :D hahahaha
Before I bought my 05 TC (And later my 06..), I owned 3 Celicas-A 1989 GT coupe, a 1995 ST Coupe, and a 2000 GT...all really reliable, fun to drive cars...I have owned other cars-A couple of Hondas, a Nissan, 2 VW's, 2 BMW's and oddly enough, a 1968 Chevy Nova...The Celica's were easily the most reliable cars, I don't think I ever paid for any repairs other than oil changes, spark plugs, brakes and tires..

I think of the TC almost as a poor man's Lexus, at least in the way that the styling relates to the new 250 and 350 Lex coupes...And the TC was based largely on an established European Toyota model, called the Avensis-And in places like the UK, it is a 4-door sedan, that sells for about 25K and up...It even looks related to the new Lexus designs..
Old 10-14-2006, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I have to say NO .. i guess cause i still have my celica.. an othere then being a coupe its every uncelica like

Quick Reply: "...it replaced the Celica..."