2005-2010 [ANT10]

rude dealer pricing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by onefunkyfreshdj
in most places... sales tax & car purchase tax is two different percentages.
Here in VA... Sales tax is 9%..... car sales tax is 3%.
Another reason why AZ is assbackwards...thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea im po...or!!!!
lol... i get about an extra 20-100 a month to save/spend
so far ive only managed to keep an average bank account of 950 dollars...
just backup money incase im behind on my payments... (knock on wood knock, knock, knock)
...the only mods i have are blue bats side markers and tailights.. 54 total or something... but i f****D up on the tial lights so thats a waste... of money..
dont really have 35 bucks for a whole new tail set..
and my fogs came in for xmas... and installation was done by 5 different people..
so it was basically all friends and help for free....
............i wish i was financial problem free...
anyone else pay as much as i did?!>... just curious
Old 01-11-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NoShiO
yea im po...or!!!!
just backup money incase im behind on my payments... (knock on wood knock, knock, knock)
...the only mods i have are blue bats side markers and tailights.. 54 total or something... but i f****D up on the tial lights so thats a waste... of money..
and my fogs came in for xmas... and installation was done by 5 different people..
dude, why would you sign a contract if your just going to complain about it later? paying $410 a month is pretty darn high, but it's your fault, you signed the contract, you knew what you were getting into...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was just in a dealership looking for something that would save gas, since my other car is a 4Runner, and the saleperson flat out told me that my "experience" with Scion would be completely different than when I bought my car with Toyota. I know Scion does the non-negotiable pricing but do they have to be as ignorant as the Carmax guys about their product? And way more pushy? Is there a better time to go to the dealership since I have pretty much decided on a tC but don't want to give some jerk the satisfaction of making a sale.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TleahciM
I was just in a dealership looking for something that would save gas, since my other car is a 4Runner, and the saleperson flat out told me that my "experience" with Scion would be completely different than when I bought my car with Toyota. I know Scion does the non-negotiable pricing but do they have to be as ignorant as the Carmax guys about their product? And way more pushy? Is there a better time to go to the dealership since I have pretty much decided on a tC but don't want to give some jerk the satisfaction of making a sale.
Sounds like you went to the wrong dealership. The guy who sold me my xb really didn't seem to care whether I bought it or not(not in a bad way, he was just real laid back). I would imagine most of us had very positive, low-no stress experiences when buying our scions. You may want to check out the "dealers" section to see how well dealerships in your area treated customers.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im Back!!
again to b****
i just called the dealership i bought from...
playing around saying i was interested in buying a tC
saying two of my friends bought tC's at different times( which is true)
and that one paid over 20 and the other paid 18..
he said one may have been over sticker..
because of the early date of purchase.. (june-July)
and the other one cheaper because later (august- september)
i said so are theya llowed to go over sticker..
he said "NO!"
then he tried to brush me off.... saying i dont know the circumstances..
blah blah blah..
SCION DEALErSHIP IN MY AREA BLOW!>>...
IMO
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all of the scion dealers i've dealed with have been really cool and not pushy at all, they have no problem with wiriting everything on paper for you and letting you take multiple test drives without them, not pushy whatsoever, awesome
Old 01-12-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In Illinois, we have really high sales tax, so I'm going to get screwed over there, but we are protected from the BS "doc fees" because by law they are limited to around $58.

On a similar note, if anyone here from the Chicago area still hasn't bought a tC, I'm about to buy mine from Grossinger Toyota/Scion in Lincolnwood, IL. Talk to Steve Daniels - he's been awesome. I went in there having researched everything about the tC and the other cars that I was looking at. He could tell that I knew what I was talking about, ceased the sales pitch, and let the car sell itself. I'll keep everyone posted as to how the actual purchase measures up to his very laid-back sales approach (only what you want and need). And no, I don' t work for them... I work for a city government.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought mine from Irvine Toyota. I was happy overall with the sales experience--after I talked to Mark in Internet, and NOT a 'sales manager.' I would definately reccomend them to anyone on here. Scion is a pure-priced car, and can be ordered to your specification. If any dealership tells you different, call the 800 number I listed in my above post. This will:

a. Put you in touch with a Customer Relations rep, who will encourage the dealership to get you a car you want, quickly and without a lot of BS, and

b. If they continue to BS and try to sell you a car with tons of options you don't want, or at a markup price, Scion customer service will make a nice little call to your dealership and mention pulling their license to sell Scions.

I spent a month looking for a Silver tC with a rear lip spoiler, stock rims, and the single disc changer. After I called Scion consumer affairs, within a week I got a call from the same "they don't come without $3,000.00 rims, 6-disc changers, exhaust kits, and underbody neons!" dealer to come look at a, guess what, Silver tC with single CD, floormats, and a rear lip spoiler.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NoShiO
yea im po...or!!!!

Well to be brutally honest with you... i would be shocked to find a person out there who is paying ANYWHERE near 410/month for a 17,000 dollar car regardless of options.

You are a classic case of "i want, i want." You see something pretty, go out and buy it with out thinking how it fits into your budget. If you are making 1000 dollars a month and are making a $410 payment plus insurance $300??( assuming since your 17 and in Jersey) thats $290 dollars left over after JUST the payment. Figure another 80-100 for gas. And your talking abotu 45 dollars a week to play with after that. Figure you'll go out with your friends at least 1 night a week say 15-25 dollars. and you got 25 bucks after that. That SHOULD have been your thought process.

You have no one to blame but yourself here. You knew exactly what the payment would be, before you signed. You should have thought about it.

You should have atleast had someone to advise you on this. 410 is almost too much for someone who makes 30k a year. Let alone a 17 year old still in high school.

Never allow your car payment and insurance to be more then 1/3 your income.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My experience was pretty good. There is only one dealer in my state (MT), and my buddy bought an xB from them. I dont really like the salesman, and they only offered me $5K on my trade in when book trade in is still $7500, private party over $9K, saying because there is so little margin on Scions that they have to take trades in at auction value. They wouldnt even give me a date as to how long it would take to get a White manual tC. I called a dealership in Spokane WA, and did almost everything over the phone. They appraised my trade in without even seeing it and gave me book trade in value towards a base tC no options. Only took a $300 deposit and told me my car would be in 2-3 weeks. So car came in 3 weeks later, I drove 400 miles to get it to find that they drilled the front bumper although I had asked them not to twice, but oh well. Then they tried to charge sales tax on the car when there is no sales tax in the state of MT, so I couldnt be charged since that is where the car will be registered. So they fixed that. Doc fees were only $35. Total for the car was $16,465 + $35 = $16,500 even. Minus my trade of course. Really a pretty easy experience even if they did drill my bumper, lol.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

You also got to think about "How much down payment you got?" the less you give the more your monthly payments will be. You have to bring that loan amount down, and try to get as many months(YEARS) as you can to pay it off.
I know this is TOO late. But if you can keep up with the Payments and NOT miss/late ANY. Then maybe you can get a better loan, through your bank, thats good for you monthly. And then pay off Toyota`s loan with you.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member

It's sad to hear that there are so many bad dealerships out there. Here in San Antonio I've had nothing but good experiences from both the dealership I bought my tC from as well as another dealership my girlfriend bought her tC from. No one tried the high pressure sales thing and the price was exactly what it should have been. Got my payments at $250 a month... maybe some of you should come to Texas to get a scion.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by copiousmortalis
It's sad to hear that there are so many bad dealerships out there. Here in San Antonio I've had nothing but good experiences from both the dealership I bought my tC from as well as another dealership my girlfriend bought her tC from. No one tried the high pressure sales thing and the price was exactly what it should have been. Got my payments at $250 a month... maybe some of you should come to Texas to get a scion.
That is a great avatar.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's depressing to see all the young people jumping into new car ownership so early.

$10k down put my monthly payments at 170/mo.

the sticker i paid after delivery, documents, and taxes was 17,100.

i guess not everyone is getting the same deal.... :/
Old 01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you notice on the official Scion website in the fine print it state that the dealers "can set their own prices."

What the Scion covenant says is that as long as your dealership website, window stickers, and menu in your Scion department match prices, you are good to go.

The good news for buyers is that there are usually enough Scion dealers within an hour or two that you can find one that is laid back with prices that match the Scion website.

We get paid a flat fee of $100 to sell a Scion. Remember, it is simply a new way to sell cars for Toyota -- they want to keep a customer buying for life, so if they can price an entry-level youth oriented brand a little less than the competition and then turn around and sell them 10-15 cars over their lifetime, isn't that smart business sense?

(It is really no different than Wal-Mart putting an endcap of laundry detergent on sale at a low price, because the odds are really good that you will buy something else in the store.)
Old 01-12-2005, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by scion sales
If you notice on the official Scion website in the fine print it state that the dealers "can set their own prices."

What the Scion covenant says is that as long as your dealership website, window stickers, and menu in your Scion department match prices, you are good to go
B.I.N.G.O.

That is Pure Pricing folks. It says no where that we can't change the price - it only says that we MUST be consistent in the dealership in our pricing. We can't have one thing on the car, and a different thing on OUR website.

Caveat Emptor, folks. Make sure you are asking questions, and if you don't get straight forward answers, GO ELSEWHERE. Most Scion dealers rock the house, and are doing a good job. Of course there are some bad apples, but you won't get away from that no matter what business you are in.

LATER
Old 01-13-2005, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, i'm back...yeah, i went to the dealership today with my dad, he's blunt, he asks the girl straightout, how much do you guys pay for these cars...she's like kinda studdering, ugh, let me go check...comes back in a minute with the master price book, we look at it, my $16465 costs them 15 and a half thousand...so, scion isn't making much off of this. also, with 4.5% apr, a base model stick shift means that toyota is only making about $800 on you, that includes 8% tax, rounded off with 0 down....so, really, they aren't making too much, i guess thats why the accessories are so expensive, thats where they get the markup
Old 01-13-2005, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Thats why you buy your Accs. on EBAY and on Line. Im amazed at some of the prices I`ve seen on different Accs. and Aftermarket stuff that is tough. I just got a Carbon Fiber(like) half bra, that my dealer didnt carry. I just got it from somewhere at a Texas dealer, who sold it for $10 less than MSRP.
So , get on the net, go to SCION.com, and make your car up, with the extras YOU want, and get the price quote with ALL your stuff added in. Then get the TOTAL and EST. payments. Figure total with TAXES/ DEL./Whatever Else, And then ADD $500/$1000( at least ) and that should be really close to what the Final Price will be.
BUT, Make sure you Take that PRINT OUT of the car you picked out with ALL the prices, and give it to the salesguy. Make him stick to it, and if it is more, have him explain WHY it is more than your online Quote. See if its worth it. Make sure to go with cash for a down, to lower payments, just don`t let them know how High you can go.