Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rule 1: Never let friends drive your new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rule 1: Never let friends drive your new car

So in good faith, I let one of my best friends, a guy who calls himself an "enthusiast" drive my tC. He drives a Honda s2000 that his dad owns pretty often so I think he is pretty experienced with the manual transmission.

He drives it for a couple of blocks and gives me his rundown: "wow this is smooth" etc. I tell him, yes; obey the speed limit, keep it under 4k RPM, etc. and that I trust him a lot.

I am pretty **** about my new car, as you might have picked up.

He gets to a stop sign and decides to use my car as his little experiment, you know, because it isn't his. So he starts crawling a bit and stalls the engine. I'm like 'what the hell was that?' and he was like "man this clutch engages early" and "i was seeing how low I could make the engine go before i could get off a clean start."

And at that point I asked him if he ever stalled his s2000 and he says "no, never have."

Ok...for a proclaimed car guy, I can't believe he couldn't get this car off the line. This must be one of the easiest manuals ever to drive.

Then he drives some more, constantly has to be reminded of the speed limit from me, makes some really awkward, rough downshifts where he's trying to be all fancy and quick instead of smooth.

Ugh, I might lay low with this one. The next time I drive his s2000 should I stall it?

I know what he did caused no damage or anything, but I wanted to own this car and proclaim that it had never been stalled once.

Yeah I'm pretty touchy.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

two of my best friends have stalled my tc. i dont get it. so easy to drive!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

1st sec I saw this post, i go -> oooooooooh!
____! Thats bad! If I were you, I wouldnt know what to do!
My best friend <-> Stall my brand new tC (not just a car )!
Actually its alrite, buddy!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

jeez man, i let my friend drive my tC and he stalled it probably 10 times in a row. he was rusty on manuals afte rnot driving it for 2 years and yeah my baby was like crying.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why would you EVER let anyone but you drive the tC? That makes no sense. What if they crashed your car or scratched it going across a pothole and then backed it up into a tree? Then what? I tell you what... more "My poor tC" threads on this site. Its like giving a loaded weapon to a baby. Eventually someone is going to get hurt.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's just the different "feel" of the cars. Here at my house, I get to drive a 91 mr2, 92 celica, 00 camry, and a 05 tC, all manuals. Each one is different, and if I haven't driven one for a while, I have to get "used" to the clutch!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

oh no! a stall! dude, who cares...i learned how to drive manual in my brand new tC. Its fine. I mustve stalled it about 5-6 times a DAY for about a week. Not to mention missing gears and revving it to high once or twice by accident. My cars fine. Its not a piece of glass, it can take some beat downs and be ok.
I took it in for an opil change last week and the tech said everything was running smooth. No concerns
Old 04-18-2005, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just let it go bro... nothing happened to your car so getting mad wont solve anything. Just dont let him or anyone drive it again... problem solved.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i agree with you. you are **** about your cars. friend stalled mines and i just laugh it off towards him.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Rule 1: Never let friends drive your new car

Originally Posted by Doglass

Ugh, I might lay low with this one. The next time I drive his s2000 should I stall it?
no, bring it up to 7000 RPM and dump the clutch.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent let anyone drive my tC so far i am the only driver...unless you include the Toyota Tech when i got my oil changed. I think if someone stalled my car like my best friend...i really wouldnt care probably just laugh...the first time anyways...but the second time...MOVE OUT OF THE SEAT BUSTER! especially if you smell burning clutch YEAH TIME TO MOVE! and time FOR ME TO DRIVE! my best friend (girl) and her mom both have been bugging me to drive my car....i have to constantly tell them NO! he he he
Old 04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I stall mine when I wear flip-flops But other than that, no one else drives my car that I know of.

-Z
Old 04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn, when I clicked on this thread, I thought I was going to read about how your buddy wrecked your brand new car!

Obviously you are very into your car which is great, but I think you are maybe over reacting. No harm, no foul IMO. I'm pretty sure the Toyota trans can handle a stall or two here and there.

If you really want to get him back tell him that your car is now in the shop and needs thousands of dollars in repairs that won't be covered by warranty because it is the result of abusive driving.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Gonzo_xb
damn, when I clicked on this thread, I thought I was going to read about how your buddy wrecked your brand new car!

Obviously you are very into your car which is great, but I think you are maybe over reacting. No harm, no foul IMO. I'm pretty sure the Toyota trans can handle a stall or two here and there.

If you really want to get him back tell him that your car is now in the shop and needs thousands of dollars in repairs that won't be covered by warranty because it is the result of abusive driving.
OMG! that is something i would do! tell my friend that WOW! i know it's but THAT WOULD MAKE THEM SHIZA! THIER PANTS! YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO IT!!!

GOOD IDEA GONZO!....o yeah GONZO ROCKS!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I thought I rocked....

maybe not.

-Z
Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wyldkard
I thought I rocked....

maybe not.

-Z
Ok man YOU ROCK TOO!...and before anyone else says anything SCION OWNERS ROCK!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey at least your friend didn't do what mine did. My homie is a hardcore racer enthusiast, so the minute I let him test drive my car, I was a little worried (don't even ask me why I let him ). So anyway, the first thing he does is peel out 1st gear then double clutches to second and peels out off second gear also. I freaked out and snapped at him and made him pull over. His excuse is he's testing out the handling of the car and tranny. I was like WTF?! DO THIS TO YOUR OWN CAR, NOT MINE! I'm such an idiot for letting him drive my car.

Then I even decided to try to teach my GF how to drive stick, so you should know how that goes. Consistently grinding my gears and stalling.

AHHHH WHAT A HEADACHE! She wanted to learn though, so I guess it'll take some time for her.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

lol i i dont even let my girlfriend drive my car. . .never let anyone drive your car. . unless they're sober
Old 04-18-2005, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

forget sober..dont let anyone drive your car period!
Old 04-18-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

lol eh your right my girlfriend wants me to teach her to drive stick. .IN MY CAR! lol oh man . . im scared. .

Quick Reply: Rule 1: Never let friends drive your new car