Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

rustproofing a tC?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Default rustproofing a tC?

I live in ohio, so naturally i worry about how any car i own will react to snow, road salt, and the result of the two, rust. Anyway my tC should be coming in next week and i was going to pay extra to have rustproofing done.

For those unfamiliar its basically some chemicals that are sprayed mostly on the underbody and areas like wheel wheels that is suppossed to prevent rust.

Has anyone here had it done? Is it worth it? I plan to keep the car at least 5 years so i see it as a pretty good investment, other cars my family has owned that had this done have had little or no rust in that time period.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the writeups I have read over the years, they have indicated to NOT purchase the rustproofing. You car will come with adequate protection. You mind find more info at edmunds.com.

Kevin
Old 11-18-2004, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Everything that I have ever read in my lifetime has put across the message that it would be better to take you money, put it in a pile, and set it on fire than to buy the rust proofing. When my wife got her Rav4 the salesman even told her not to get the rust proofing. We werent going to anyway!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I live in michigan and you won't need to do anything special to the tC.. I checked out the service manual for the tC and it shows that they have used polyvinyl chloride for the undercoating on this tC.. you cannot see it, looks like a grey paint but works very very well and resists rock hits and nicks..

what i did with my last car, a civic.. i would wash off the salt underneath the car at a car wash (handheld wand kind) and spray the underbody and the wheel wells.. the car is 9 years old now and NO rust.. and that's with the factory protection..

so maybe do the same thing with this car that I did before? if it worked in michigan would surely work in ohio! but i agree don't waste your money putting on undercoating it's already been taken care of by toyota..
Old 11-18-2004, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I work in a bodyshop, well I used to, now I'm in parts..but anyway, rust proofing is complete bull____, infact, rust proofing will most likely cause damage. The reason is, when the rust proofing is applied, it will keep all condesation, junk, etc....basically everything that is there after the car was delivered or built. Which in turn damages your car, without you seeing it. Also, you car is rust proofed (galvanized) etc....from factory, there is no point for anything else.