Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

salesmen and commission

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by DJIce
The sales guy I was talking to made perfect sense as to why salesmen would sell Scions over say, Toyotas on the same lot.

Yes, there are going to be cases where you oversell a car to someone and make a much larger comission. However, in today's consumer-informed world where most comparison facts are a few clicks away and information is readily available (i.e., dealer invoices), they go in to the dealership and start bargaining much lower than a decade or two ago. And consumers are no fools; they'll play two or three dealerships off of one another in order to get a car at $100 over invoice. And dealerships have no choice but to take it, or else they lose a sale. Whereas, every Scion that gets sold has an average profit of $750 for the dealership (figures the sales guy threw at me), which then gets split accordingly to overhead, management, and then sales commission, sales people would rather sell for a guaranteed, set commission than risk a $20 commission because someone did his/her homework.

Scions also sell themselves. You can move them faster for many reasons. So more units in less time = better money.

Seems to be a no brainer to me.
I agree with you. I hate it when salesmen say the dealership is only making $100 or even $750. They couldn't keep the lights turned on for that. Invoice? Who's invoice? It's a piece of paper any of them can make and it's not what they pay. Talking with one ownwer of a different brand, he said he has to make $2,500 per car to pay for insurance, wages, utilities, etc. I'm sure they make money on the service end, too, but I know a couple dealer owners in CA and they aren't hurting in the least bit.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We get a % of profit, but since the Scions are not marked up that high. We usually get a Mini Commision. I get $100.00 per scion sold,
Old 03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree with you. I hate it when salesmen say the dealership is only making $100 or even $750. They couldn't keep the lights turned on for that. Invoice? Who's invoice? It's a piece of paper any of them can make and it's not what they pay. Talking with one ownwer of a different brand, he said he has to make $2,500 per car to pay for insurance, wages, utilities, etc. I'm sure they make money on the service end, too, but I know a couple dealer owners in CA and they aren't hurting in the least bit.[/quote]

Why do you think Scions are sold in Toyota Dealerships? Because the dealer makes a very, very small profit. Dont hate a sales person that makes a very small profit for very picky people that think they are being lied to. (like you) The dealers do make about 1000.00 on a scion, but have no real other incentives (IE holdback) SO its pretty laim.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

[quote budman"]I agree with you. I hate it when salesmen say the dealership is only making $100 or even $750. They couldn't keep the lights turned on for that. Invoice? Who's invoice? It's a piece of paper any of them can make and it's not what they pay. Talking with one ownwer of a different brand, he said he has to make $2,500 per car to pay for insurance, wages, utilities, etc. I'm sure they make money on the service end, too, but I know a couple dealer owners in CA and they aren't hurting in the least bit.[/quote]

jocappy wrote;
Why do you think Scions are sold in Toyota Dealerships? Because the dealer makes a very, very small profit. Dont hate a sales person that makes a very small profit for very picky people that think they are being lied to. (like you) The dealers do make about 1000.00 on a scion, but have no real other incentives (IE holdback) SO its pretty laim

[/quote budman]So you know an honest salesman? Can I meet him or her? I can't feel sorry for the dealer or the salesman. If they know going into it profits or commissions are so low, don't do it or get another job. With my "picky" attitude, I was able to retire at 43 and sit at this computer, how about you?
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My sales guys said he makes $200 off of every tc he sells. Dealership's are not non-profit.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by shimmy
My sales guys said he makes $200 off of every tc he sells. Dealership's are not non-profit.
That's not bad money for a fast selling car, he doesn't even have to sit at a negotiating table. I never said dealerships are non-profit, I'm saying that when they show you an invoice and say that the dealer is only making $200 on this deal, it's a lie.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Let's be rational...

[modified]

It took me (and the sales rep) less than an hour to get the whole transaction wrapped up. The time spent with the finance guy was longer, but I doubt that the sales rep will share the commission with him. So even since he only made $200 on me, for one hour of work, that's still pretty good. The question is, can he really sale 8 cars a day?

On the other hand, think of some sales having to work on a case selling a Camry or a Solara. They have to be with the customer like 2 hours (on average, could be longer) back and forth for negotiation. They probably end up making more money on a Toyota, but they have to work much longer than that.

So, yes they probably make less on Scion on per car basis, but remember, because of the no haggle practice, they also spend less time with you, in which gives them more time to sell more cars. For them to make a decent income, they probably have to make somewhere around 80-120 dollars per hour. On top of basic wage, that's like selling 3-4 Scions a day. A good sales can sell 10 cars on a good day. So, I don't think they should complain too much.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Let's be rational...

Originally Posted by bigmouth2008
It took me about 1 hour time (he didn't go with me with the test drive, give gave me the key) with the sales rep to get the whole transaction wrapped up. The later time with the finance guy was longer, but I doubt the sales rep will share the commission with him.

So even since he only made $200 on me, for 1 hour of work, that's still pretty good. The question is, can he really sale 8 cars a day?

On the other hand, think of some sales have to work on a case selling a Camry or a Solara. They have to be with the customer like 2 hours (on average, could be longer) back and forth and back and forth for the negotiation. They probably end up making more money on a Toyota, but they have to work much longer than that.

So, yes they probably make less on Scion on per car basis, but remember, because the no haggle practice, they also spend less time with you which give them more time to sell more cars. For them to make a decent income, they probably have to make somewhere around 80-120 dollars per hour on their income. Plus basic wage, that's like selling 3-4 Scion a day. I've heard that on a good day, a good sales can sell like 10 cars. So, I don't think they should complain too mcuh.
Thanks, it sounds like someone is on my side on this messy thread, but what make u write like 3 yeer old? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Souljah347
dealers don't pay invoice
What do you mean by this?

Invoice is what the dealers pay Toyota to put the cars on their lots. Anything over invoice is profit, anything under is a loss.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by budman650
I'm saying that when they show you an invoice and say that the dealer is only making $200 on this deal, it's a lie.
B.S. It's illegal to lie about invoice, and if a dealership pulls out the invoice and actually shows it to you, that comes from the factory. It's a bill that shows the dealership paid Toyota that much to get the car on the lot.

Invoice is invoice, period. If they have you sitting at the table and are showing you an ACTUAL invoice, which will have a stock number, VIN number, and all the corporate info on it, you can count on it being legit.

That said, not a lot of dealerships will show you the invoice. I used to do it all the time on Scions though, because what is there to hide? Not to mention with Scions, you can't negotiate any changes anyway, so there was no harm in laying my cards on the table. Everyone knows Scion Invoice, it's common knowledge.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This thread is funny. Invoice is what the dealer pays for the car. BUT they also pay flooring cost to have the vehicle on the lot. The dealership does not own the car, when it sells, they buy it, and sell it to you. Toyota (Scion) owns the cars on the lot and the dealership pays every day it sits on the lot. Oh, and there are honest sales people, if you have a preconsived notion about sales consultants, that is your issue,
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jocappy
This thread is funny. Invoice is what the dealer pays for the car. BUT they also pay flooring cost to have the vehicle on the lot. The dealership does not own the car, when it sells, they buy it, and sell it to you. Toyota (Scion) owns the cars on the lot and the dealership pays every day it sits on the lot. Oh, and there are honest sales people, if you have a preconsived notion about sales consultants, that is your issue,
If the dealer pays invoice AND flooring costs when that car sits on the lot for a month, how can they sell it for $100 over invoice and still make a profit? Holdbacks? There are scions sitting on lots out there, so I still don't understand why they would work with such a low profit car?
DibujoB says he knows what invoice is. Can he clear up this mess and tell us, all cards on the table? Is it $750, $1,000, etc.?
I've had issues with sales people, yes, there are good ones, maybe it isn't all lies, deceive maybe. When you call and ask how much a car is and when you get there, the price is higher? How about when the finance guy puts the security etch on your contract without telling you? I sure didn't order it. I'm just saying that I read some of these threads about people possibly getting burned and all it takes is reading the fine print and your contract.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It took me about 1 hour time (he didn't go with me with the test drive, give gave me the key) with the sales rep to get the whole transaction wrapped up. The later time with the finance guy was longer, but I doubt the sales rep will share the commission with him.

So even since he only made $200 on me, for 1 hour of work, that's still pretty good. The question is, can he really sale 8 cars a day?

On the other hand, think of some sales have to work on a case selling a Camry or a Solara. They have to be with the customer like 2 hours (on average, could be longer) back and forth and back and forth for the negotiation. They probably end up making more money on a Toyota, but they have to work much longer than that.

So, yes they probably make less on Scion on per car basis, but remember, because the no haggle practice, they also spend less time with you which give them more time to sell more cars. For them to make a decent income, they probably have to make somewhere around 80-120 dollars per hour on their income. Plus basic wage, that's like selling 3-4 Scion a day. I've heard that on a good day, a good sales can sell like 10 cars. So, I don't think they should complain too mcuh.
Thanks, it sounds like someone is on my side on this messy thread, but what make u write like 3 yeer old? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm hurt. I am actually 4 and half now!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member

I'm hurt. I am actually 4 and half now!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I can tell you one thing....
I run a Scion dealership, but if I abandonned my Toyota responcbilities and simply ran the Scion store, I couldn't afford a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KingofScion
I can tell you one thing....
I run a Scion dealership, but if I abandonned my Toyota responcbilities and simply ran the Scion store, I couldn't afford a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear.
How do you like your 350Z? My wife wants one real bad, I like the G35. I hope you weren't doing 149mph at the Woodfield shopping mall!
Old 03-03-2005, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the dealer pays invoice AND flooring costs when that car sits on the lot for a month, how can they sell it for $100 over invoice and still make a profit? Holdbacks? There are scions sitting on lots out there, so I still don't understand why they would work with such a low profit car?
DibujoB says he knows what invoice is. Can he clear up this mess and tell us, all cards on the table? Is it $750, $1,000, etc.?
I've had issues with sales people, yes, there are good ones, maybe it isn't all lies, deceive maybe. When you call and ask how much a car is and when you get there, the price is higher? How about when the finance guy puts the security etch on your contract without telling you? I sure didn't order it. I'm just saying that I read some of these threads about people possibly getting burned and all it takes is reading the fine print and your contract.
First off, which scion dealership is offering over invoice? THANKS King of Scion. This guy must have been taken advantage of before.... Scion Dealerships are not retiring off you the customers
Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I would be willing to get into this discussion if it could come back on topic. What is the topic? How much we are paid, or how people don't feel sorry for me?

And I think that it is hilarious that someone thinks that a good car salesperson can sell 10 cars a day. Obviously not a car salesman...

I'll check back tomorrow, and I'll be willing to answer ANY questions anyone has about our sales department.

LATER
Old 03-03-2005, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member

First off, which scion dealership is offering over invoice? THANKS King of Scion. This guy must have been taken advantage of before.... Scion Dealerships are not retiring off you the customers
If you can read back, this isn't just scion dealers. It got off the subject with lies and deceipt and invoices and how much everyone is getting. I never said a scion dealership is offering over invoice, that came about when a saleperson lies about the dealer only making $100 on the car. It's all in the back replies. Why is King of Scion getting thanked? He just said he couldn't do scion by itself and was honest about profit margin. I agree, he probably couldn't keep the lights on even making $1,000 per car, just don't tell me it's a $100 deal. And yes, I've been tried being taken advantage of, I just hope I can help someone else by my mistakes.
Jumbo is on the right track and maybe we can sort through this.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can read back, this isn't just scion dealers. It got off the subject with lies and deceipt and invoices and how much everyone is getting. I never said a scion dealership is offering over invoice, that came about when a saleperson lies about the dealer only making $100 on the car. It's all in the back replies. Why is King of Scion getting thanked? He just said he couldn't do scion by itself and was honest about profit margin. I agree, he probably couldn't keep the lights on even making $1,000 per car, just don't tell me it's a $100 deal. And yes, I've been tried being taken advantage of, I just hope I can help someone else by my mistakes.
Jumbo is on the right track and maybe we can sort through this.
Again, dealers can make only 100.00 on a deal. Even lose money. Lost leaders for example.

Quick Reply: salesmen and commission