Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Saw the tC, not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member

Default Saw the tC, not impressed

I saw the tC yesturday with a lot of enthusiasm, and once i got there i am sad to say i wasnt very impressed. I mean i understand that its an economy car, and all but the interior was all fine, but it seemed very plain, the steering and the panal. I also looked at the mazda 3 and 6 and they seemed so alive, from the inside. Also this is an opinion thing, i like the mazsa 3/6 from the outside also. Only problem is its a Ford engine. However the car did say 90% japanese, assembled in Japan, and etc. I dont know what do you guys think i should do??
Old 07-02-2004, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think there's a point of getting a Mazda 3/6 right now. I had a really good chance to buy a 2003 Mazda 6, just when they were clearing out the inventory for the 2004s. The car is exactly the same, but the price would have been much cheaper. I probably could have gotten a 4 cylinder for less then the TC sticker price. 6 cylinder probably under $20K! But I missed out. Now, you won't be able to get a very good deal. However, the mazda's are nice cars. I drove the Mazda 6, it was pretty fast. A couple of thing you gotta remember is that:
1. Not assembled in Japan
2. Not Japanese parts
3. FORD
I have an old Mazda from back when they were made in Japan and I haven't had any major problems with it. The new Mazda's, I've heard aren't as reliable. Yes, they look good, but sometimes reliability matters also. I think the tC looks better then the Mazda 3 and the Mazda 6 especially without the sport package. Oh, and don't forget the tC is a coupe and the mazda's are larger sedans. ...Now the Honda Accord coupe however...j/k. Hope that helps you make your decision.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i think the car is the sweetest car ever

except for that front lip

definetely planning a lip kit for the car in the near future
Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Saw the tC, not impressed

Originally Posted by tCLover
I saw the tC yesturday with a lot of enthusiasm, and once i got there i am sad to say i wasnt very impressed. I mean i understand that its an economy car, and all but the interior was all fine, but it seemed very plain, the steering and the panal. I also looked at the mazda 3 and 6 and they seemed so alive, from the inside. Also this is an opinion thing, i like the mazsa 3/6 from the outside also. Only problem is its a Ford engine. However the car did say 90% japanese, assembled in Japan, and etc. I dont know what do you guys think i should do??
simple, get a mazada 3.
that's your car, pick the one you like.
i don't think anyone here will yell at you just becausey you don't pick tC.
that's your money, pick the car that is suitable to you.

good luck man
Old 07-02-2004, 05:52 AM
5 Year Member

Default Thx man

Thanks i appreciate your input, it really helps. Oh and thx for not getting ____ed cuz i said my opinion like other folks.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, almost forgot. You might wanna change your screen name... LOL
Good Luck!
Old 07-02-2004, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member

Code:
Good Luck!

Thx for the hint!! lol, umm oh and as for the warranty for the Mazda, when i told him my concerns about the Ford engine he (the salesman) said, That it was assembled in Japan, and it had a better warranty then the tC. It has a 50,000 i think 5 year warranty, with a loan car (something where if the car needs some kind of repair and you have work in the morning they lend you a car for free, NO NEED FOR AAA.). So he said it was a "Peace of Mind" Warranty. That makes this decision harder. LoL
Old 07-02-2004, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

what ever floats your boat. Either car i'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as for the engine being ford. dude you've got one solid engine. the 2.4L duratec is NICE!. The duratec is what's in the WRC Focus. The guys over at focaljet.com have seen nice gains with bpu parts(basic performance parts, ie intake/header/exhaust) in their 2.4s. If it wasn't for the redesign, I would be getting another Focus. Ford got that car right. I considered the Mazda 3 but for me, the tC is a better buy. It's aftermarket will come around and we'll be blowin doors off modded Mazda 3's in no time.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3 is assembled in Japan. I found some ergonomic issues with the vehicle, such as the fact that my two feet couldn't occupy the pedal area at the same time without rubbing eachother. This is amplified by the fact that there is no dead pedal. I thought the steering lacked feedback and felt pretty artificial. I guess it's using electric power steering. I thought the car was a slug too.

I haven't driven a tC yet, but I'm thinking the tC will drive the same way except have a flabby suspension. My suggestion is to keep looking. If you like driving, check out the Spec V. It's got the dynamics down and after rebates you can snag an option-less one for around $14,500. The Lancer is larger than anything else in the class, you can actually fit a normal human behind a 6 foot person in the front seat. It's not quite as boring to drive as the 3s. The Tiburon looks good, but I haven't driven one yet. I will try to soon. After rebates it comes in under the cost of the tC (in the lower 16's). It's another heavyweight. I wouldn't expect much off the dealer's lot.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm down to a Civic EX, Mazda3s, tC, Accord LX (lol), or VW Passat (really cute car).

I'll get to see the tC in person on Saturday. I just hope that it looks better in real life than it does in pictures.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RussianTC
Good Luck!
LMAO I happen to like the TC. I ordered one for the wife :D
Old 07-02-2004, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member

I'd been having the Mazda 3 vs. tC debate since I first heard about the Scion earlier this year. The hundreds of pics of the tC that I looked at were nice, but I loved the look of the Mazda 3, and I especially liked the interior. I thought that the tC's interior was nice, but a little dull compared to the 3. Then, finally, I saw the tC in person and test drove it...

I don't care how many pictures of the tC you've seen over the months, none of them do the car justice. I spent an hour checking out every inch of the car from every angle before I took the key to test drive it. The car surpassed every expectation that I had. I didn't even need to check out the Mazda 3 again. Dropped a deposit on the spot...
Old 07-02-2004, 12:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
Originally Posted by RussianTC
Good Luck!
LMAO I happen to like the TC. I ordered one for the wife :D
is that your wife on your avatar?

the tC was, if you read the description on Scion, a "blank canvas". that means that Scion intentionally gave the car a minimalist, clean look... the whole point is so that it's not aesthetically biased towards one look or another, but rather gives the buyer a good platform for mods.

personally for me, minimalist and clean is IT. the mazda3 def has some spunk, and i like it too, so if you like it, go for it
Old 07-02-2004, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

That looks like vida guerra to me. If his wife is Vida Guerra he's a lucky s.o.b.

lol
Old 07-04-2004, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member

Default LoL thx

nah i am not the "wife" lol i am just a guy who is about to go to college and i want a reliable car, any ideas?? other then the tC??
Old 07-04-2004, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

well the mazada has a better warranty but the tc is more reliable because its toyota... and ford isnt reliable at all most people who buy for trade cars after a short time... but as far as a different car you might want to try the xB if your wanting to stay with scion because thats a great car storrage wise for college and overall its good but if your wanting a good sporty car try the subaru legacy or impreza or the hyduai tiburon