Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

scary wheel hop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default scary wheel hop.

alright... the roads were a little wet and i wasn't paying attention. i stepped on the gas because the guy behind me honked and my wheels hopped BAD. i got really scared. im pretty convinced that any damage would come from continually doing this to your car but i just need some reassurance. is my car going to be fine? if only got wheel hop a few times but this time it was pretty loud. i didn't hear anything from the motor, just the tires hopping but it made me turn my radio off. scary...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its not going to hurt anything. People go to the drag strip every weekend and get wheelhop on every launch and I havent seen any complaints of a broken car due to that reason. So a time here or there should be fine.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would that engine damper help?? I read from some people's comment that they break?? thats whats keeping me from buying it. whats a good engine damper that works and not break especially for our FI engine?? cuz this wheel hop happens to me, scarier when the road is bumpy and it curves, then youre driving fast, wooo

thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

haha, im glad im not the only one that thinks its scary. and my motor is stock. haha, i can't imagine how bad your wheel hop is tCing.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I THINK the issues of broken stiffys has been solved. I deffinetly need one, beause launching at the track is hard enough with the wheel spin. Let alone the wheel hop.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Monster Motor Works fix theirs, but everyone is going with Ingalls.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheel hop sucks and it's horrible when the roads are wet. after a while i learned at what point my car would hop, so now i can accellerate and keep it from hopping.

i had the ingellis stiffy, it really helped out with wheel hop....but i sold it to munch because of the added noise and it made me want to spin the tires all the time and get in trouble.

hope and pray that they come out with motor mounts...they are about 6 months overdue
Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

I have a srt4 and all it does is wheel hop. And nothing has went wrong yet and I have no suspension mods. So I see nothing wrong with a little wheel hop.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in the long run, your motor mounts will be damaged and your tranny may suffer some as well. Best way to reduce wheel hop is either get stickier tires, motor mount inserts, or replace motor mounts.... dont know if the tC has those options yet but the Ingralls Stiffy would help. All of the above mods will add vibration to pretty much most of your chassis.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Yea when I had my car dyno'd. They said my motor mounts were in pretty bad shape. Maybe thats what its from. ^^thanks for reminding me on that. I'm surprised energy or someone hasnt come out with some for our tCs yet. For the srt, they were only like $65. On the srt forums it says that stiffer springs also reduce wheel hop but idk cuz i havent tried it yet.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is wheel hop...sorry if its a stupid question
Old 07-25-2006, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every once and awhile mine will start to hop really bad when it's wet and make a loud banging sound.. It almost sounds like something (my engine) my bouncing off the ground.

I just try to go easy on the gas in the rain now, because on dry pavement it doesn't hop at all (with the stiffy on 10mm)
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just get bad hop when i accelerate into a turn or accelerate hard out of a turn. Sounds like my damn engine is gonna jump out the bay. I really need to get some better tires, these stock ones suck *****. They lost a lot of traction after like 5k miles. Already had to get a patch in two of em and one of the patches leaked and had to get that fixed. Stupid nails... (shakes fist)
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skeorx13
I just get bad hop when i accelerate into a turn or accelerate hard out of a turn. Sounds like my damn engine is gonna jump out the bay. I really need to get some better tires, these stock ones suck *****. They lost a lot of traction after like 5k miles. Already had to get a patch in two of em and one of the patches leaked and had to get that fixed. Stupid nails... (shakes fist)
indeed... nails suck mucho greatly

they should concentrate on making more durable tires that don't puncture so easily but can just run over nails...
Old 07-25-2006, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

It rained here today and all i got was spinning, no wheel hop.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

either you need some new tires or you need to ease off the gas.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Tires are fine. Only 10k miles but if i keep spinnin em I will need some soon.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
but i sold it to munch because of the added noise and it made me want to spin the tires all the time and get in trouble.
What added noise?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ingenerator
Originally Posted by xnevergiveinx
but i sold it to munch because of the added noise and it made me want to spin the tires all the time and get in trouble.
What added noise?
the ingellis stiffy adds some noise to the cabin because the motor is giving direct vibration to the strut tower.

the sound can be lessened in a couple of ways. i put 3 layers of dynamatt down under the strut tower brace. i had the stiffy set to the softest setting. i also replaced all the rubber washers with cloth reinforced toilet tank bolt washers.

this reduced vibration quite a bit compared to not having these mods. however sound was only slightly reduced. the sound that comes from the engine kinda sounds like a big rig to me...i guess you could say it sounds like you have a short ram intake and no hood. also when the temp outside was below 40 degrees, when you would reverse the car it would crack loudly as the engine would rock. i spoke to ingellis and they said this was normal as the damper internals were not cold enough to soften the blow. this would also happen when accelerating hard and letting off the gas, however the cracking would stop after about 5 mins driving because the stiffy had warmed up. someone else on this board posted the same thing.

i got rid of the stiffy because i have begun to commute an hour to college and the noise was bothersome sometimes. you can drown it out with music, but i just figured i'd rather have to deal with wheel hop than have to listen to that noise whenever i accelerated (i like super quiet cars, thats why i initially bought the tc because of all the sound deadoning) i'm sure i'm just picky, because some people have header, exhaust and intakes that make plenty of noise
Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good to know! Thanks for the info. Ive been thinking about getting one for a while and now I know what to expect.

Quick Reply: scary wheel hop.