Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?

Scion's sticker price looks great when you compare it to the MSRP of other cars, but that doesn't take into account the full picture of what your final payment is going to look like.

Scion's seemingly low price is great, but you don't get a chance to talk down the dealer, nor is Scion offering any type of promotions or special financing deals.

Interest-free auto deals are hot again. And General Motors and Ford are once again leading the charge.

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/040713/10111_1.html

If you read the above article, other companies are offering tons of different deals like 0% APR financing and cash back. Some cash backs are as high as $5k for certain models!

On a $19K car (including taxes), how much do you save on a 0% 60 month loan vs a 5% or 6% loan? I think its about $2500!!!! Whoah!

The tc is still on my list of potential purchases, but I'll definitely be shopping around a lot more than I first though. There's some great deals out there.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

yes there are alot of great cars and deals out there at the moment, Its (TC) has gone to the bottom of my list, until the get it right.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmm unfortunately your missing a HUGE part of these other manufacturers "awesome deals".....in your statment you said nothing of dealer markups....when dealers do markups then tack on the incentatives....tell me again which one is a better option?????????????
Old 07-14-2004, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats great if you want to drive a ford. If you dont care about resale or reliablity, you'll get a great rebate.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

These programs are one of the biggest reasons why domestic cars have such low resale value. They're really screwing the customers that have already bought their cars. You rarely if ever see Honda, Toyota, or any high-end manufacturer offer incentives, and most of them are on leases. Thanks to Mitsubishi offering things like that for a year, the company is nearly bankrupt and looking for someone to buy them out. As a result, the people that bought their cars have suffered a huge loss in their car's value. And you're not thinking about the markup they often add to these cars before giving the rebate. You're really losing once you drive off the lot.
It's not that "you can't work a deal with Scion's pure pricing". It's that "you won't pay more than you should". You're thinking about it backwards.

Scions are cheaper than any other car with the same options, and provide excellent reliability and hold their value well.
The xA's main competitors are the Suzuki Forenza & Chevy Aveo, and I'd rather have a Toyota product than either of those (even though the Forenza is pretty nice inside).
The xB doesn't really have any other car that can compete with it and offer the same options, value, reliability, economy, and room.
The tC has many competitors, but they're not new cars. Its competition are the used cars one can get for about the same price, and with possibly more room/power.

If you're just a student who doesn't care what they drive as long as its warrantied and gets you around, those deals can be very appealing. But I'd rather buy something I love and pay a few extra bucks for the quality.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who ever said the tC was cheap? It's obvious that you can buy a Honda or pretty much any other car below MSRP, while Scions have to be sold at MSRP. I did a LOT of research before picking a car, and trust me, nothing else compares with the tC's value for the money. Similarly equiped cars will cost you more, it's as simple as that! Don't forget that this car is built in Japan with Toyota quality, whereas the companies offering 0% APR and $5,000 cash back are....well you get the picture.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Other makes.....

Huge MSRP mark-up - rebate = trying to sell a car that couldn't sell in the first place compared to the competition.

Plus (+)

El-crapo reliability = El sucko re-sale value

Equals (=) buy a Scion, Toyota or Honda and be happy
Old 07-14-2004, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, forgot to add, that Scion does offer a rebate if you just graduated or will be graduating College.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrussell
Equals (=) buy a Scion, Toyota or Honda and be happy
Oops..... if your over 55 buy a Buick and be happy
Old 07-14-2004, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Just "built" a similar equipped Mazda3s sedan on carsdirect.com - MSRP $19.3, Carsdirect price $18.6... That's 2K difference, and you are getting a toyota instead of a rebadged Ford Focus... Plus when you will start asking for "discounts" and manufacturer rebates, dealer will take them off his own price that the dealer came up with, and you are going to end up at MSRP or couple hundred less... Who said that they will discount lowest negotiated price with a rebate? Never...

2 Russians with tC's. Nice. We know how to find best deals in cars ;)
Old 07-14-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
2 Russians with tC's. Nice. We know how to find best deals in cars ;)
Yup, we sure do. There's a third one on here "zhenya" haven't seen him post in a while tho. What color/options u have? Write me a PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

When I see a $5, 000 dollar rebate, it tells me the car was overpriced by about 6,000. The only time they offer incentives is because things aren't selling and they will cut their profit margin to make SOMETHING. Toys and Hondas sell well enough that they don't need extra incentive gimmicks.

If I add a $2,000 dealer markup to a car that's already got $1,000 in extra profit priced in, then give you $3,000 off, are you any better off than if we just priced the vehicle straight up?

Another big factor for me was time. Time = Money. I didn't have to argue, haggle and get raked over the coals for several hours trying to get the best deal I THINK I can get. And then to walk out and wonder if the next guy will get a better deal or if I left money on the table, etc. Believe me, it's the first time I've ever paid MSRP, usually I'm a few hundred over invoice at most. But I don't think i got ripped and I think I got a good car for the price.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just be happy there are no market value adjustments on the Scions. the mini cooper s when it first cameout had $6k m. v. a. added to the window sticker when i first saw one. the current gen M3 was $15k at my local bmw dealer when they finally had one that wasn't pre-sold.

we can all look at how there's tons of incentives and rebates with the domestic automakers but when it comes down to it, i would never want own any of the vehicles they have specials on.

These programs are one of the biggest reasons why domestic cars have such low resale value.
right on the money!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member

I shopped long and hard before buying my tC. To even come close to what I wanted, this was the final list:

Used IS300
Mazda 3
Scion tC

When I took into account reliability, value, performance, looks, warranty, etc... the tC was WAY out in front.

And besides.... you can usually get a lower % from your bank. Just get the loan approved from your bank first, and then take them a check for the full amount. Most people are getting 4-5% financing on their scions. That isn't bad. In a year or two, if you make your payments on time, you'll be able to refinance into the 3s probably. Again, not bad.

My scion w/ accessories and options came to 19146. I could have gotten it for less if I wanted to do alot of the stuff myself, but I didn't want to. After warranty, lojack, extended warranty, etc. The car came to around 22k. Throw in the finance charges and my total cost over the course of 5 years will be like 26k.

But...

I have free scheduled maint for 6 years (including tires)
I have Toyota reliability
I have great re-sale value
I have lojack and other great safety features which means my insurance is less

Try to get all of that with a Mazda or Ford and see what your price comes out to. Hell, even do it with 0 percent financing. Trust me... it will be alot more.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure you can find a cheaper car that has more incentives than a scion, but incentives are wolves in sheeps clothing. Sure they look good and make the car cheaper but trust me, when it comes time to trade the car in or sell, you will loose the money you saved on rebates and even more. I tried to tell my parents this when they bought their Buick. I told them to buy a Toyota Avalon instead. They got the $35000 Buick for about the same price as the Avalon... $30000. So at first look, it looks like thet got a more expensive car for the same price....WRONG. I check a couple of weeks ago, and a their car is now only worth $11000 were as the Toyota Avalon is worth $17000. So that $5000 they thought they were saving just cost them $6000 when its time for them to trade. Plus they hate the Buick so it gave me change to say..."I told you so" :D

Rebates and Incentives are BAD BAD BAD....don't believe the hype!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope more people buy other cars, I like having the only Scion TC on the road.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rather stupid question but if you compare "like" cars the tC wins hands down on pricing alone. As others stated, take comparable Mazda 3s, Mini Cooper, and Acura RSX and tell me if the bottom line of any of these are below the tC.

Kevin

PS. I looked at a new Corolla and that one was $20,000 ($1500 more than my tC). Go figure.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member

I received a $500 military incentive on my Camo xB from Quality Scion in Fort Walton Beach.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is no reason for Scion to put incentives on the Scion TC. There is a reason why companies provide incentives. The demand is greater than the supply for the TC. If you sold a product that kept selling out, would you lower the price?
Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People keep on comparing the base msrp against cars. the truth about is that the scion line of cars come with more standard features then any other car in their class. compare the msrp of cars with the same options and scion will come in lower with better quality.

Quick Reply: Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?