Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by zizi
There is no reason for Scion to put incentives on the Scion TC. There is a reason why companies provide incentives. The demand is greater than the supply for the TC. If you sold a product that kept selling out, would you lower the price?
in fort lauderdale, they are not moving at all.......some lots have 9 or 10.....
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

leading the charge? WTF! They have the huge rebates and low financing because they cannot sell there cars for full price. LoL at the poster! Joe
Old 07-14-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
There is no reason for Scion to put incentives on the Scion TC. There is a reason why companies provide incentives. The demand is greater than the supply for the TC. If you sold a product that kept selling out, would you lower the price?
in fort lauderdale, they are not moving at all.......some lots have 9 or 10.....
Maybe you live in a community full of retirement folks then...because they are definitely selling out in Atlanta. BTW, if you don't like the tC so much then why are you always here? You do bring a needed balance to the forum (from people who don't see any faults with the car) but now you are starting to seem trollish...

And as others have said, incentives & rebates kill resale value and there are many standard options not included on other base models of compact coupes. I suggest comparing some vehicles similiarly equipped (like a Hyundai Tiburon GT, Civic Si, Ion, Cooper) on Edmunds.com and check out the True Market Value...you will see that the tC still is a bargain.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I somehow find that hard to believe. But then this IS Florida we're talking about... it's because of people like her that Bush is president! Dimpled chad my a$$!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member

Free scheduled maintenance for 6 years + tires? How'd you pull that off?
These tires go out fast and aren't cheap either. If my tires wre covered, I'd go through a set every 15K miles.

Coincidentally, I currently drive an IS300 and looking in the mazda 3 and scion tC.

Originally Posted by tonester
I shopped long and hard before buying my tC. To even come close to what I wanted, this was the final list:

Used IS300
Mazda 3
Scion tC

When I took into account reliability, value, performance, looks, warranty, etc... the tC was WAY out in front.

And besides.... you can usually get a lower % from your bank. Just get the loan approved from your bank first, and then take them a check for the full amount. Most people are getting 4-5% financing on their scions. That isn't bad. In a year or two, if you make your payments on time, you'll be able to refinance into the 3s probably. Again, not bad.

My scion w/ accessories and options came to 19146. I could have gotten it for less if I wanted to do alot of the stuff myself, but I didn't want to. After warranty, lojack, extended warranty, etc. The car came to around 22k. Throw in the finance charges and my total cost over the course of 5 years will be like 26k.

But...

I have free scheduled maint for 6 years (including tires)
I have Toyota reliability
I have great re-sale value
I have lojack and other great safety features which means my insurance is less

Try to get all of that with a Mazda or Ford and see what your price comes out to. Hell, even do it with 0 percent financing. Trust me... it will be alot more.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So which dealerships have all these tCs sitting around? Name them if you please so someone can check your claim out.

No offense but you make this claim over and over again yet you never back it up.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be glad to check it out! And call them to get the nine sitting on the lot!!!! :D
Old 07-14-2004, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to clarify- reabates are taken off a car after you haggle !!! if you get lets say a Chevy for 500 under MSRP by haggling, you THEN take the reabte off as well. The rebte is offerd by GM, not the dealership.

Thats whay my Dodge dealer is offering 2004 NEON SXT's for $10,999. Even the the MSRP is like 15k, you take a discount off and then the 3 k rebate.

But as said before- REBATES KILL RESALE!! thats why Dodge and ford have the worst resale- Sure, they will take 5 k off in reabtes- but thier went you resale.

the dealer across the street from the dodge dealership who offers Neons for 10,999- sells 2003 neons with 12k miles for 8,999- this is what it took me forever to sell my 2000 ford Focus for 7K. A.) rebates on new Focus'. B.) neons are cheaper!!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems the people who don't like the tC are the xA owners. what's up with that?
Old 07-15-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rich Manas
it seems the people who don't like the tC are the xA owners. what's up with that?
DING, DING, DING We have a winner!

I was wondering that myself. Makes no sense. Corolla owners don't hate the Celica, do they? Are RAV4 owners jealous of the Land Cruiser?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at the xA, then look at the tC, there is your answer.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like both the tC and xA, but ill probably end up getting the xA b/c of price.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think both tC and xA are good. I want a xA ever since they came out. making choice between tC and xA for a long while. then i just give up, auto blue/azu tC or a manual white xA, which one show up first then i will get that one. so i end up get a blue tC.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member

The 6 year maint and stuff was extra. I had to pay for it. Like I said... my Scion w/ parts was only 19146.

I got the 6 year maint (oil changes, air filters, touch up paint, etc)
3 year tires
Lojack
Taxes and tags

That brought the price to like 22k... don't remember. Yeah, I had to pay for it.

But, if you figure 30 bucks every 3 months for an oil change... for 6 years.... that is already over 600 bucks. Then throw in another 1000 for a new set of tires. Lower your monthly insurance by 10-20 bucks a month and you have another 600. It's worth it.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I love the tC. . . if I were in the market for a 2 door car, I would buy one. But I';m not that's why I own an xA. Anybody who knocks the tC isn't comparing it properly to the competition, or at least to the correct competition.
Overall I think the tC's only competitor that even comes close is the Honda Civic Coupe, it's interior is amazing. But overall I think the tC wins fairly easily, considering Honda mark up and smaller engine.
The tC is all to often compared to a WRX or an SRT-4 or a Lexus or whatever. Those people are idiots. Wrong class completely; if you want those cars that's great, but it in no way makes a tC bad.
To be honest, I wish the styling were a lil more edgy, and the proportions a lil less pudgy, but it's still a great car.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well I love them all, but I love the tC more.

Going back to incentives thing, I don't think its necessary. Most Scion buyers aren't buying them for the price. They're buying SCION because they like the car.

If price is your biggest concern you buy a brand new Echo for $9000.

Scion are like Apples (the computer). You can buy a PC for much less, but an Apple is just so pretty.

Scions may never beat or even come close to Civics and other Hondas in terms of sales but for as long as they around the have a cult following.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sTalking_Goat
well I love them all, but I love the tC more.

Going back to incentives thing, I don't think its necessary. Most Scion buyers aren't buying them for the price. They're buying SCION because they like the car.

If price is your biggest concern you buy a brand new Echo for $9000.

Scion are like Apples (the computer). You can buy a PC for much less, but an Apple is just so pretty.

Scions may never beat or even come close to Civics and other Hondas in terms of sales but for as long as they around the have a cult following.
that's what toyota trying to do, they don't need scion sell big, they have corolla and camry to deal with honda head on. Scion its own name meaning non-mainstream. that's why i feel bad to see granny driving a xA couple days ago, not only she cover her seat with some 1960 look seat cover, but also cover the streeing wheel with the same type/color of streeing wheel cover. man....that look ugly. i am not against any granny here, but just feel wrong. i guess toyota may limit the production for tC insteat of rolling them out like cookies. the price is set, let people keep on waiting, create a culture that every youth want a tC more that a BMW(more affortable), and let the mod community go crazy on this car. anyway, you don't need to sell big to get your name out there.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hey u tonesteer did u say u got a 3 tires that's part of the ext. warranty?
How much was the warrany all in all?
What's the lojack?
Do u thiink the warranty is cool 7yrs, 100,000 miles with 4 yrs of free oil change?
And can you still cancel that after purchse coz' I'm thinking 2G is worth for something else....
Old 07-15-2004, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lojack is a car recovery system, which i think only couple states has it. it's kind of like a device that put in your car, nobody knows where it is, whenever a police car drive near the car (i guess within a couple blocks area), it will report its info to the police car. so when the car is report stloen, the police car reciever will warn the police then the police can recover the car. it cost $800 for me to install, which is consider to be cheap compare to over 1k that corolla owner is paying for the system. but i think it is not necessary since a thief is not likely to steal my car because of the immobolizer. also, a high level thief can easily strip out the car in an hour (my co worker have a neon with similar system install, the whole car was strip out when the police found the car).
Old 07-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by haihengh
lojack is a car recovery system, which i think only couple states has it. it's kind of like a device that put in your car, nobody knows where it is, whenever a police car drive near the car (i guess within a couple blocks area), it will report its info to the police car. so when the car is report stloen, the police car reciever will warn the police then the police can recover the car. it cost $800 for me to install, which is consider to be cheap compare to over 1k that corolla owner is paying for the system. but i think it is not necessary since a thief is not likely to steal my car because of the immobolizer. also, a high level thief can easily strip out the car in an hour (my co worker have a neon with similar system install, the whole car was strip out when the police found the car).
Mine was free from the dealer(lojack)

Quick Reply: Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?