Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion not really that cheap of a car. what about incentives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The main thing to look at is what you pay. Find out what the bottom line out the door price is and compare that. I live in the Detroit area and I wanted to buy American or at least a car made here. The xB that I bought is a good deal but I could have bought a PT Curser for less money. I just was not happy with driving it. Equipment was about the same but the PT did not have any ABS, Trac control etc. Not a big deal in my book but I just did not want the car. Saturn Vue was a good price at about $15000 + tax but I did not like the seating. The xB is just a well thought out fun car with great MPG!

This kind of reminds me of all the talk years ago about all the extras some companies gave you as standard equipment. Many thought this was all free because it was standard. The cost is there, just look at the bottom line cost.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You ur right about the difference on what u pay coz' when the salesman showed me how much i would pay for w/o EXT warranty it was a $30 diffrence only with insurance. hat's one on ethe reasons I purchase it and to think this is a new car no record as of now what things can go wrong with it. I'm not planning to touch the engine jus some slight mods here and there. But saving 2G for something is quite good enough to cancel that ext. warranty, isn't it?

And they gave me this other insurance which I shouldn't have purchase. Something about GAP like if ever the car was lost/stolen that you're still paying for it, usually the insurance company doesn't pay for the entire loan you had instead give you the FMV of the car. So to speak, ur let with some more dough to pay on your loan. That kicks in and u won't have to pay anything. I paid 500 for that. Now since so dumb of me not realizing the keys have the immobilizer thing, i guess i don't need that for sure.

Again u guys think purchasing an ext. warranty is good enough?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GAP Sometimes isn't necessay. My insuarnce has a special package that inludes a GAP like thing where if they car is totaled or stolen the first year they pay off the entire value. This option was only 150 extra. so you might want check with your insurance company before you pay for GAP. Personally I can't afford it so I'll take my chances.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by UnFocused
Just to clarify- reabates are taken off a car after you haggle !!! if you get lets say a Chevy for 500 under MSRP by haggling, you THEN take the reabte off as well. The rebte is offerd by GM, not the dealership.

Thats whay my Dodge dealer is offering 2004 NEON SXT's for $10,999. Even the the MSRP is like 15k, you take a discount off and then the 3 k rebate.

But as said before- REBATES KILL RESALE!! thats why Dodge and ford have the worst resale- Sure, they will take 5 k off in reabtes- but thier went you resale.

the dealer across the street from the dodge dealership who offers Neons for 10,999- sells 2003 neons with 12k miles for 8,999- this is what it took me forever to sell my 2000 ford Focus for 7K. A.) rebates on new Focus'. B.) neons are cheaper!!
About Rebates killing resale...... doesn't that assume that GM and Ford will continue to offer rebates in the future? Isn't that a big assumption? What if GM eliminates are at least limits rebates in the future b/c they realize its not helping their bottom line as much as they anticipated? The resale value of the car you bought with the rebate wouldn't take a big hit.

BTW, this poster is right. Rebates are taken AFTER you haggle down the MSRP down. If the dealer won't let you haggle, then leave and go to the next dealer. Just like the big DOC charges that some Scion dealers are charging for the tc. I have 5 scion dealers close to me in Chicago. If one wants to charge a $500+ doc fee, I'm going to the next dealer.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you got it cheap (rebated cash back etc) then why would you expect a higher resale value? If you buy a car to resale why not just lease it in the first place?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member

Default Invoice Price

:twisted:
What most people don't know is the "No Haggle" price is a smoke screen.
The ''Invoice" price is what you're looking for, and you will find that on
Cars.com.

Floormats seem to be the only option worth anything, going aftermarket
for everything else would be the smarter way.
After all where else are you gunna get high performance.....TRD?
Too $$$$Pricey.

Anyway the invoice price is a little over $15,500.
So.....ask for $15,500, not bad for a 2.4 VVT-i DOHC.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default American car incentives......

If you wanna talk about American car incentives that's easily known as a smoke screen as well.
First off American cars are built cheap, so the asking price or MSRP is set high
in order to compensate for the incentives or bargoning price the consumer is asking for.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the floor mats aren't even worth it. you should get a bone stock tC and go aftermarket for Everything else.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SonomaPhil
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy

in fort lauderdale, they are not moving at all.......some lots have 9 or 10.....
So which dealerships have all these tCs sitting around? Name them if you please so someone can check your claim out.

No offense but you make this claim over and over again yet you never back it up.

I'm not sure why this person even visits this site(cybergypsy) she never has 1 good thing to say about scion so either you're jealous or stupid move on lady.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:18 AM
2JZ
5 Year Member
SL Member

the reason that i'm getting many of the options with the car is because i get the best apr @ 4.6% ... spreading all the options through the payments is an extremely good option for me.

when i had my IS, i went overboard because i wanted to get the best. tha car was MEANT to be sooped up... a tuned down version of the supra engine under that hood just WANTED to be turboed. i spent money on nice (and expensive) Volk wheels, LTuned springs, shocks, and sway bars, custom tail lights (since the "altezza" lights were so played because of APC and the bunch :twisted: ), etc... was about to go the next step and get turbo before i realized that my credit card bills were just nuts... i ended up eventually gutting out the car and selling it.

now, i don't want to be bogged down with credit card payments and since i've gone crazy once, i want to just keep things a bit light this time around. i think the bodykit looks nice. whether it's worth it or not since it's just a lip kit i don't care... i found that i liked bodykits from their respective manufacturers the best anyway whether they cost an arm and a leg or not (the MUGEN bodykit from Honda for the Prelude/Civic, the LTuned bodykit from Lexus for the IS, and so far all of the TRD kits for Toyota) anyway. the exhaust sounds perfect for me, growl-y without the drone. and i like the 18"s EMX wheels by Enkei (not the TRD wheels) so for me, everything is working out ok. plus since everything will be covered by warranty, that's a load of my shoulders when ____ hits the fan (and it did with my IS one too many times).
Old 07-16-2004, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Invoice Price

Has anyone actually gotten a dealer below the "no haggle" price? Which, coincidentally is pretty darn fair (about $700 over invoice for the tC).

Also, I'll give you a good reason to go TRD: warranty

If I have to replace my Greddy cat-back exhaust system every time I go back to the dealer, that extra time / effort / $$ isn't equal to the 4hp gain I might experience over TRD (not to mention the resale: I love tuning whips, but every time I shopped for a WRX that had a body kit, BOV, down pipe, grapefruit shooter, etc I turned tail)

The wide variety of factory and TRD parts is one of the central reasons that I am getting a tC.... even if they are a bit pricey, I end up with something other than a franken-car, with the dealership coddling my every move. And eight years or so down the road, when I go to sell my supercharged tC with exhaust and cai, I can sell its reliability and factory support.

Originally Posted by KakarotSSG4
What most people don't know is the "No Haggle" price is a smoke screen.
The ''Invoice" price is what you're looking for, and you will find that on
Cars.com.

Floormats seem to be the only option worth anything, going aftermarket
for everything else would be the smarter way.
After all where else are you gunna get high performance.....TRD?
Too $$$$Pricey.

Anyway the invoice price is a little over $15,500.
So.....ask for $15,500, not bad for a 2.4 VVT-i DOHC.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WagenMaster
These programs are one of the biggest reasons why domestic cars have such low resale value. They're really screwing the customers that have already bought their cars. You rarely if ever see Honda, Toyota, or any high-end manufacturer offer incentives, and most of them are on leases. Thanks to Mitsubishi offering things like that for a year, the company is nearly bankrupt and looking for someone to buy them out. As a result, the people that bought their cars have suffered a huge loss in their car's value. And you're not thinking about the markup they often add to these cars before giving the rebate. You're really losing once you drive off the lot.
It's not that "you can't work a deal with Scion's pure pricing". It's that "you won't pay more than you should". You're thinking about it backwards.

Scions are cheaper than any other car with the same options, and provide excellent reliability and hold their value well.
The xA's main competitors are the Suzuki Forenza & Chevy Aveo, and I'd rather have a Toyota product than either of those (even though the Forenza is pretty nice inside).
The xB doesn't really have any other car that can compete with it and offer the same options, value, reliability, economy, and room.
The tC has many competitors, but they're not new cars. Its competition are the used cars one can get for about the same price, and with possibly more room/power.

If you're just a student who doesn't care what they drive as long as its warrantied and gets you around, those deals can be very appealing. But I'd rather buy something I love and pay a few extra bucks for the quality.
agreed .. the most toyota will do is give a rare 0 percent apr.. they gave my cousin one last year on her rav4. but as for cashbacks no... although a longer warrenty would be great.. but these things last forever so whatev.. but i liked that mitsu's 3 year free scheduled maintance.. although i would need to see how much the maintenance really costs in 3 years.. i thought mitsu was doing good esp after the launch of the lancer .. u see those things everywhere