Scion tC according to Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 05:38 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Scion tC according to Motor Trend

According to a tidbit in Motor Trend magazine they think the new "xC" (yeah, that's what they called it) will be based on the all-new European Toyota Avensis.
http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/s...o/gallery.html

I SURE hope they dress it up a little ! U-G-L-Y

Darren
Old 10-09-2003, 06:11 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was down in Irvine and I saw a vehicle that looked like this at the toyota office down there. it wasnt to bad in person
Old 10-09-2003, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why would they even do that when they have the xA. they need to do a coupe or sedan if they want to do something different since they already have the 2 wagon styles down. no more wagons!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I agree.... but I don;t think that Toyota would do that to us. The new line MAY be based on the Avensis, but they would never just rebadge it as a tC. Toyota is smart company and they know that five-door hatcbacks are not popular here in the US like they are in Europe... at least not without a major injection of "supertrend".

They could easily take that car and turn it into something cool. Example... what could they do with a boring Toyota Echo? <wink, wink>

Darren
Old 10-09-2003, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member

1 word: "dissappointing"

i pray to the cargods that your source was wrong about it being modeled after the avenesis. scion is supposed to be about youth: the definition of it implies it. i dont think they're going to make family-looking cars. if they do then they have another thing coming. that pic looks like an inflammated '96 camry. i guess the bottomline is that no one will know until it comes out. i dont think toyota is that stupid

-dave-
Old 10-09-2003, 07:17 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by scion
They could easily take that car and turn it into something cool. Example... what could they do with a boring Toyota Echo? <wink, wink>
Ummm... the entire Scion line is based on a boring little economy car... I don't think the tC will disappoint.

Darren
Old 10-09-2003, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i've heard at work...the new Scion tC will be like nothing we've seen before...the new tC will be the first true Scion child...it will be born here in the states...it will not be an import from Japan...(not that i know of)...so i would say be expecting something good lookin...
Old 10-09-2003, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DjFrOsT
from what i've heard at work...the new Scion tC will be like nothing we've seen before...the new tC will be the first true Scion child...it will be born here in the states...it will not be an import from Japan...(not that i know of)...so i would say be expecting something good lookin...
kind of like the element, huh? i will take JDM styling over japanese guys trying to create a car for american kids that will sell.

remember on the simpsons when homer made his own car "the homer". it put his brother's car company out of business. that was a sad one.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

ah the avenis, the toyota avalon of the e.u. - word is it is the most popular new model for taxis in the u.k. -- not a good driver's car but great for transporting folks in buick like comfort.
here's hoping that toyota tweeks it just a bit b4 slapping on a scion label
Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

That car isn't the one that Toyota unveiled at the new vehicle show in philly back in august. The new coup is unlike anything else, I have yet to see a picture or sketch, but my GSM saw the actual car and said that it didn't look anything like that car, or the one that's been circling the web (with the glass top).
Old 10-09-2003, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric m.
kind of like the element, huh? i will take JDM styling over japanese guys trying to create a car for american kids that will sell.

remember on the simpsons when homer made his own car "the homer". it put his brother's car company out of business. that was a sad one.
You're right, eric... Japanese auto companies in the US haven't had too much success when they've created cars designed here entirely. Case in point: Nissan. The folks in the US division just had too much pride to just modify existing JDM versions of their cars, so they had to go and design all-new US-specific models, which ended up almost killing the whole marque. They're on a comeback now, thanks to the US side of the company swallowing their pride and just accepting the successful JDM versions of their cars (Z33, new Skylines, Cimas, etc.). And I believe their Altimas and Maximas and trucks are also now being designed with more input from overseas than before.

Sometimes you just shouldn't mess with success. And, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old 10-09-2003, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daversion
1 word: "dissappointing"

i pray to the cargods that your source was wrong about it being modeled after the avenesis. scion is supposed to be about youth: the definition of it implies it. i dont think they're going to make family-looking cars.
And the xB is exactly what? My family loves it!

The only thing youthful about the Scion line is the marketing.

BTW, I took my xB to an event at a nearby RV resort. A lot of the Golden Age crowd really liked the car. They were asking questions about whether you could flat-tow the thing (you can, with a stick) and how much it weighs. The door design, seat height and headroom in the xB happens to be great for older people with joint ailments that make it hard for them to get in and out of cars. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of xB being towed behind motorhomes!

George
Old 10-09-2003, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member

I just wish that they would make a stretched out 6 passenger xB. THAT would be cool...
Old 10-10-2003, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Scion tC according to Motor Trend

Originally Posted by scion
According to a tidbit in Motor Trend magazine they think the new "xC" (yeah, that's what they called it) will be based on the all-new European Toyota Avensis.
http://motorshow.toyota-europe.com/s...o/gallery.html

I SURE hope they dress it up a little ! U-G-L-Y

Darren
What do you think is ugly about the Avensis? Your link goes to the Avensis VERSO which is the minivan version! Sure it isn't very exciting but I wouldn't call it ugly. The ccX prototype was based on using the some parts from this platform , but I hope the production car isn't.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

BTW, I took my xB to an event at a nearby RV resort. A lot of the Golden Age crowd really liked the car. They were asking questions about whether you could flat-tow the thing (you can, with a stick) and how much it weighs. The door design, seat height and headroom in the xB happens to be great for older people with joint ailments that make it hard for them to get in and out of cars. I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of xB being towed behind motorhomes!
I agree! I think that many Scions will go to those who are in the golden years and have an RV. You will see them towed or with a tow bar on the front. I say , go grampa! Both the xA and the xB would make great towbehinds.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member

about 2 months ago i saw an RV as large as a bus conversion with a ThunderCloud xB in tow...
it looked hillarious since the size of the RV dwarfed the xB by so much that the xB looked like a toy car back there....

it made me laugh out loud.
good stuff...
go oldens!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehe
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snarcher
hehe
Old 06-13-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

snarcher you noob
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW, good catch there som, I really missed that this thread was from almost 3 1/2 years ago

I was like "what? tC already came out... and Volvo is going to have a cow with that article"

Quick Reply: Scion tC according to Motor Trend