Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

The Scion tC Diet Plan

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure u start losing weight or on some sort of diet...lighter driver help too... ..if can gut off a piece of ear...as one ear might do it...or some part of your body...one kidney? one lung? consider parting it out? ...kiding...
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had my old Echo down to under 2000lbs. It was great for gas because I could just pick it up and carry it instead of driving everywhere.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

tomorrow I'll be adding 30 pounds rims (120 total) not counting the weight of the KDW2 to my rear
Old 12-03-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC has a 59% front 41% rear weight distribution. You wan to make it 50-50 you'll have to rip out the engine and tranny and stick it where the handbrake is.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

having a 50/50 weight distribution on a FWD car is unideal. You want to make the rear end of the car as light as possible. The less weight on the rear of the car the less the car has to "drag" Only real way to shave weight on the front of the car is CF panels, removing dash, ac, radio, etc, etc.

Doing lighter wheels, control arms, brakes, all benifits the unsprung weight of the car.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

59 41? i think from motor trend or something they said we were like 69 to 31 lol. Also tc4italy since you are adding lighter rims, how much do the stocker rims weigh? And to you guys that say weight isnt much, You cant honestly tell me that you dont feel a difference with just having another passanger. atleast for us non boosting guys. Im trying to get a carbon fiber hood soon. which should lead to more weight shavings becuase i could also remove the windshield wiper fluid tank, since most CF hoods cancel that luxury anyway. What you guys think?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Every bit of weight removal makes a difference, and the difference gets amplified as you get into lower numbers. For example, going from 3000 to 2900 would be a nice difference, but going from 2900 to 2800 would make a bigger difference. I'm a big fan of weight removal because I used to have an uberlight car with a low powered engine. I know people who were so hardcore they got their Echos down into the 1800lbs range, and boy could they accelerate quickly.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah a good example would be that lotus elan or something. Very low hp but super light. That car was suppaaa quick.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly. Bringing down the weight can be just as beneficial as increasing the power, but it's cheaper to go with weight reduction. If you can do both, then you get double the benefit. However, something which increases power also tends to add weight, so straight weight reduction is one of the most beneficial things you can do.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure not nice with light weight over a very high speed on freeway....u are floating
Old 12-04-2007, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should not ever be travelling fast enough to feel like you are floating. And someone mentioned adding a spoiler for downforce, but you should not be travelling fast enough on public roads to achieve any kind of real handling benefit from the spoiler.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by RodC
You should not ever be travelling fast enough to feel like you are floating. And someone mentioned adding a spoiler for downforce, but you should not be travelling fast enough on public roads to achieve any kind of real handling benefit from the spoiler.
agreed ^^

not that my ticket for 167 in a 60 is an excuse

the only time a gutted car starts to get light is a little over 150 depending on the weight of the car. and the only time you will tend to spin out is if you are under high turns and I cant think of anyone short of rado that will be doing that in a tc.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What you guys think about taking that heatshield off? the heatshield near the axleback. I got a OEM style muffler so itz still under it. Wont do any harm though right?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
What you guys think about taking that heatshield off? the heatshield near the axleback. I got a OEM style muffler so itz still under it. Wont do any harm though right?
it wont do any harm.. but.. at the same time its really not worth yanking off. I am leaving mine on until I can afford a new exhaust. {thinking Greddy Ti-C} and yes.. just like everything else I will be doing a before and after weight..

speaking of... sorry it has taken so long to get the spring weights put up.. I am slacking .. but I will get that worked out soon...
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well if it doesnt do any harm i mightaswell. half a pound of uselessness should be nice to take off lol.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do it mengsta,, Let us know what that shield weighs. I was thinking about yanking that thing off too.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

lol yeah wen it stops raining ill do it. Im pretty sure the axleback wont burn anything above it.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by mengsta
lol yeah wen it stops raining ill do it. Im pretty sure the axleback wont burn anything above it.
You could even replace it with some aluminum foil, lol. Lighter and it will still disperse some of the heat. Might not want to stay in place though...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM

If you're overweight, try cutting out the soda and junk food, then profit.

Seriously, unless you're doing some serious competition with a tC, what's the point in removing stuff from it?

.... and if you're really THAT into making the car lighter, I hope you started out with a spec.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm really not seeing the point in gutting a tC if your not racing it.

Gas mileage isn't going to increase THAT much, and at what cost? Not being able to drive your buddies to the strip club cause theres only one seat, no radio and no A/C? I guess there'll be plenty a room in the back for the stripper though. Not that you'd wanna take her home (weight reasons).

Quick Reply: The Scion tC Diet Plan