2005-2010 [ANT10]

Scion unreliable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snarcher
what sort if idiot asks if cars taht are only 2 years old have reliability issues, espcailly ones from JAPEN!!!
what kind of idiot put snow tires on only the rear wheels of a front wheel drive car?

lots of new cars can be unreliable. my dad has an 03 cayenne s. 24k miles and it needed a new tranny, under warranty. it has had so many problems, porsche extended his warranty to 8 year, 100k miles, and he still wants to take it back because even if every problem it ever has is repaired for free, he didn't buy a 70 thousand dollar suv to keep driving it too and from the dealership every month.

co worker of mine bought the nissan pathfinder armada. it was having some sort of electrical problem, it was at the dealership for over a month and half, she stopped by to see it, the entire dash board was in the back seat while they were still trying to fix what was wrong with it.

the most unreliable car sold in the us used to be the mercedes s-class. a very expensive car built by a company with a reputation for excellent build quality.

when spending alot of money for a new car, it is never a bad idea to do some homework, like you mister i want to be a drifter so i begged my mom to buy me a scion tc thinking it was rear wheel drive.

anyway, i'd had my tc since 11/04, it has just over 43 thousand miles on. had only minor problem with my passenger side power window not working, and then another with my sun roof wind deflector not going down. all fixed.

it uses the camry's engine, which is ultra proven for reliability. the chasis is from the toyota avenis, which is sold in europe. so the tc isn't really "NEW" just a new combination of different toyota cars. other than the minor rattles that people complain about, it is a great car.

a few months ago, somebody actually posted that they just took their tc in for 90 thousand mile service, still running strong, so it will easily earn its keep.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no on is going to readd all of that jargon you blimmpass!!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, you just got owned. Seriously.

But related to the topic... other than some rattles, taps, and some defective interior panels (I'm going to have to make another appointment with my dealer since they failed to confirm my online reservation last time I tried, and I kept getting returned e-mails from the website that I didn't even send), it's 100% ok.

I wouldn't expect anything less from Toyota.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

the most unreliable car sold in the us used to be the mercedes s-class. a very expensive car built by a company with a reputation for excellent build quality.
I don't doubt that... it's a great car, but the sheer amount of gadgetry and technology in that car quite frankly scares me. Can you imagine how many hours it'd take to do the simplest thing that required taking off a interior body panel and trying to find a specific wire?

I'm sure that even an oil change is complicated on those cars. From what I hear, more expensive cars are rather complicated even for simple tasks... for example, from what I've heard it is rather difficult to do your own oil change on a newer model Porsche. You have to take it to the dealer... which takes about an hour and $110.

Meanwhile, our oil fill plug and filter are exactly in a very convenient location, unimpeded by other things. Very user friendly. That's what I like about "regular" cars.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHO OWNED WHO YO
Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WHO OWNED WHO YO
Just gonna swagger a guess and say it was you
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

The biggest problems people seem to have are rattling issues...but that's generally rather simple for the dealership to help you out with
Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by s0n1c
I'd say keep it for now because you'd probably lose a lot of money if you tried to trade it. I looked into it myself, but the highest trade offer I got was $14k...and I dont like the idea of losing $3k...
<<<How about losing 11k sounds??
Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what sort if idiot asks if cars taht are only 2 years old have reliability issues, espcailly ones from JAPEN!!!
what sort of idiot has sex with your mom and then outputs you as a human examlpe of wasted O2 and DNA...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah... from a guy who thought the tC was rear wheel drive, and put snow tires on the rear... I dont think his comments mean too much. And for your counting issues... the 05s are now 3 years old... and there is no E in Japan...

But thinking that just because it is from japan means it is reliable is a joke. Mitsubishi makes some of the biggest pos cars I have seen. My father tries to talk customers out of buying them.. but loves the tons of work he gets within a year of warranty running out. The only mitsu I would even think about trusting is the Evo.. and I am leary of that if I rely on it day to day.

Nissan can be ok, but like I said, once they have their first issue you may as well turn and run. Horrible documentation from the manufacturer, some electrical systems that make someone like me wonder what kind of crack they were on and issues that are terribly hard to diagnose. I still miss when they were datsun
Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Yeah... from a guy who thought the tC was rear wheel drive, and put snow tires on the rear... I dont think his comments mean too much. And for your counting issues... the 05s are now 3 years old... and there is no E in Japan...

But thinking that just because it is from japan means it is reliable is a joke. Mitsubishi makes some of the biggest pos cars I have seen. My father tries to talk customers out of buying them.. but loves the tons of work he gets within a year of warranty running out. The only mitsu I would even think about trusting is the Evo.. and I am leary of that if I rely on it day to day.

I agree on Mitsubishi's being POS. They are like Fords in my opinion.

Nissan can be ok, but like I said, once they have their first issue you may as well turn and run. Horrible documentation from the manufacturer, some electrical systems that make someone like me wonder what kind of crack they were on and issues that are terribly hard to diagnose. I still miss when they were datsun
Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

07tC. The thing which you click the seatbelt into squeaks, that's it! Oh, and I wore through the stock tires around 10k.

compared to the 350? all i can say is that my friend has an '03 z and she's had *ahem* to have a few things serviced including her clutch/flywheel, pedals, new engine (partially covered by warranty for hydrolocking) and other random stuff. also the interior is falling apart (way more than what i've seen on the 05 tcs).

if you're looking for a sports car, however, that VQ35DE really does sound nice

*edit for a vent about my 07 that has nothing to do with reliability*
Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a tuned toyota camry under the hood so its as reliable as one drive train wise! reasearch the car and youll learn all the ansures
Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The picture says it all:

Just kidding!! Its getting an oil change nothing more.
At 60K my '06 gets worked rather hard but she just keeps coming back for more. :D
Old 06-07-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What moronic dealer warranties a hydrolock??? They must have been very nice, cause that is 100% driver error unless it does it due to a cracked head dumping coolant into the cylinder.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What moronic dealer warranties a hydrolock??? They must have been very nice, cause that is 100% driver error unless it does it due to a cracked head dumping coolant into the cylinder.
Agreed. Water shouldn't reach an intake unless you're driving into a lake. And if you have a CAI, it was likely labled for off-road use only, so you would likely be S.O.L.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rysonx
oh im attending to USU (utah state unv) so investment for ED is taken care of.

ED =Erectile Dysfunction

Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ashiva
07tC. The thing which you click the seatbelt into squeaks, that's it! Oh, and I wore through the stock tires around 10k.
i'm sure your tires would have lasted longer if you weren't auto crossing so often!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

darcars on rockville pike. they are exactly what you called them. there was a "flood" (remember this is MD) so i dont know exactly how she finangled it.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Scion unreliable?

Originally Posted by Rysonx
I know that i might didint search for this topic but i did for like 3 pages under the search but seem no solid one but a poll but its was a tease.

do you guys have problem that happen often with your scion cars?

name the problems and when you get it on which miles you are on?

BOTTOM LINE IS;.. do you tend to more problems with scion than any other brands like nissan, etc??

this will help made my decisions on trade in or keep the car. the car i was having my eyes on is 350Z and yes i can afford a new one.. 297 dollars a month?.. cheap

A Nissan 350z is a Sports Car. The tC is a Sport Compact. Sports Cars are high maintenance.

I've had my tC for two years with no mechanical problems.

Of course, if you're looking at trading in to get a 350z, maybe it's time to check the reliability ratings of Nissan's 350z. Maybe try consumer reports...

Quick Reply: Scion unreliable?