2005-2010 [ANT10]

Are Scions made cheaply?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are Scions made cheaply?

So I heard from someone in the auto business that Scion/Toyota uses 20 gauge, or 22 gauge (I believe it was) steal to make their cars. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he was at a Toyota dealer back some time, he witnessed an oil change being performed on a TC, and told me that the chassis bent, and dented right into the door because of all the weight that was brought down by the other side. I was like WTF??? Then he proceeded to tell me how a Jetta, for example, is made with 18 gauge steel, and that it's a much more durable car. I hate to think that I bought an "appliance" on wheels. I know there is no question of the Toyota name, and our engines etc. But what about the car's foundation itself?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wasn't the base of our car taken from an already existing toyota? The toyota Avenis or something? I am sure they will not put a car out there that will crumple while getting an oil change. I wouldnt worry about it. Look at all the people who have had accidents in thier tC's and they are alive to tell us about it. I really wouldnt worry about it at all!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah i dunno i would hate to say it. . but if you pop your hood and look carefully. . it looks like that just glued everything together on the sides. . bleh
Old 04-21-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

tC is made closer to Lexus fit and finish than your regular mainstream Toyota. I was in my neighbor's GS300 couple of days ago - there are so many details that reminded me of the tC - made me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A wise man once said: believe half of what you see
Son, and none of what you hear
Old 04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Word.

All of these threads Bohemio is starting are so paranoid. Dude, chill. Seriously.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
tC is made closer to Lexus fit and finish than your regular mainstream Toyota. I was in my neighbor's GS300 couple of days ago - there are so many details that reminded me of the tC - made me feel all warm and fuzzy.

u were in a lexus. thats why u felt warm and fuzzy lol.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

thats what happen to the back of mine in an accident it held up really well..
Old 04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope the tC's are made better than the xB's... I got rear ended.. just a little smack in the ___... a few weeks ago, and it TOTALLED my car. there wasn't much damage to the bumper, but the frame was bent to ____, even up by the drivers seat.

It still ____es me off
Old 04-21-2005, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A volkswagen dealer told you this? And you believed him!?!?!?

Read a consumer reports or JD power lately. Volkswagen is at or near the bottom of the list in quality.

An acquaintence of mine bought a Jetta recently. In the first month he had to take it in to the dealer THREE times. And it has other problems that he's just decided to live with.

If the steel was that thin there'd be reports of fatality accidents all over this site. I just don't believe it.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
Seven City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by RallyMedic

is it me or does that car look ____ed........use your imagination!
Old 04-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by Gmoney

HAHAHAHAHAHA...it does.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mandos
Originally Posted by Gmoney

HAHAHAHAHAHA...it does.
The headlights are eyes, and the bumper frame is the mouth. It looks like this
Old 04-21-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
A volkswagen dealer told you this? And you believed him!?!?!?

Read a consumer reports or JD power lately. Volkswagen is at or near the bottom of the list in quality.

An acquaintence of mine bought a Jetta recently. In the first month he had to take it in to the dealer THREE times. And it has other problems that he's just decided to live with.

If the steel was that thin there'd be reports of fatality accidents all over this site. I just don't believe it.
exactly. I had four vw's and won't own another unless something major takes place at VW.
customer service index

initial quality study
Old 04-21-2005, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When dealers tell you anything, assume it is a lie. The only thing they say that is true is either:a. something that in no way, shape, or form benefits them, or b. it is on paper and/or it is the law.

My Acura dealer, when I was looking at some RSXs, told me that Scions are of poor quality, and that one of his friends tried to open one at a dealership, and the door handle fell off.

Dealers do not care about you, or the truth. If telling you something will sell you the car, they will tell you whatever you want to hear. Trust me on this one.

Of course, not all dealers are like this. However, if you assume this is always true, you will be less likely to fall into traps or get ripped off and make a bad decision.

In your situation, a Volkswagen dealer is talking to you about poor build quality in Scions. Volkswagen ranks at the bottom of the list when it comes to quality. Toyota, on the other hand, dominates the charts, without exceptions. The tC has very good crash test ratings, 5 star front driver, 4 star passenger and sides. So I don't really know what to tell you about it.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I once saw a Jetta getting a tire replaced, and the engine just fell out and rolled off. Turns out the engine had little wheels attached to it at the bottom, and when it broke off and hit the ground, it just rolled down the hill. Lesson of the day: Volkswagen engines fall out and roll away."

It must be true, I heard it from a Toyota dealer.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

This must be why Scion gives 3 free oil changes, so they can change the oil without the car bending... yeah, that's probably happening ...
Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing Toyota gives 3 free oil changes on all their cars and Lexus too. 2nd thing those graphs are so not true. Do some research and you will find out. 3rd the tC are made cheap, cuz everything on the car has been already tested on other toyota vehicle only the design is new. and 4th of all if you get in a accident just consider the car total. I had 2 tC totaled already. The frames are very poor. But again you get for what you paid for (it's not ferrari even thou they also have some poor work). And still i would prefer the tC then anyother sport coupe in that kind of price range. I love Scion and i love Toyota and i'm proud to say that i own aToyota vehicle. Ohh and yeah lets go back to the topic, from what i have heared the tC are made for around 9K.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionGTR
One thing Toyota gives 3 free oil changes on all their cars and Lexus too. 2nd thing those graphs are so not true. Do some research and you will find out. 3rd the tC are made cheap, cuz everything on the car has been already tested on other toyota vehicle only the design is new. and 4th of all if you get in a accident just consider the car total. I had 2 tC totaled already. The frames are very poor. But again you get for what you paid for (it's not ferrari even thou they also have some poor work). And still i would prefer the tC then anyother sport coupe in that kind of price range. I love Scion and i love Toyota and i'm proud to say that i own aToyota vehicle. Ohh and yeah lets go back to the topic, from what i have heared the tC are made for around 9K.
What do you mean the graphs aren't true? They're published by JD Power and Associates, who tend to be regarded as an authority in the automotive ratings arena. I did all the reasearch I needed to do -- judge based on what people around me own. My wife's toyota and my mom's lexus were great, dealer experience was OK. My Honda, same story. My four VW's were the worst car decisions I ever made, and the dealer experience was horrific. Spend some time on VWVortex if you need further proof of the inadequacy of VW as a whole.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The model hasn't even been out for a year yet and you've already totalled TWO??

What the hell, do you drive blindfolded??

Quick Reply: Are Scions made cheaply?