2005-2010 [ANT10]

Are Scions made cheaply?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionGTR
One thing Toyota gives 3 free oil changes on all their cars and Lexus too. 2nd thing those graphs are so not true. Do some research and you will find out. 3rd the tC are made cheap, cuz everything on the car has been already tested on other toyota vehicle only the design is new. and 4th of all if you get in a accident just consider the car total. I had 2 tC totaled already. The frames are very poor. But again you get for what you paid for (it's not ferrari even thou they also have some poor work). And still i would prefer the tC then anyother sport coupe in that kind of price range. I love Scion and i love Toyota and i'm proud to say that i own aToyota vehicle. Ohh and yeah lets go back to the topic, from what i have heared the tC are made for around 9K.
1) The graphs are true, they are indexed from JD Power.
2) They are made cheap in cost, because there was little research and development cost, however the parts themselves (in general) are very high quality.
3) 2 tCs totalled? HOLY CRAP, STOP DRIVING.
4) 9K? That's not unbelieveable, that doesn't mean they make strait up 7k on a base tC. There is transportation costs, inspections, etc. 9k in materials sounds about right. Do you have any relative figures compared to what others cars "you have been told" cost to make?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

If the frame bends in an accident - its a good thing. It is not an indication of poor build quality - what it means is that the vehicle was designed with safety in mind. Ever heard of crumple zones? The car is supposed to get messed up in an accident while saving the people inside. Do the research and try to drive defensively.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing Toyota gives 3 free oil changes on all their cars and Lexus too. 2nd thing those graphs are so not true. Do some research and you will find out. 3rd the tC are made cheap, cuz everything on the car has been already tested on other toyota vehicle only the design is new. and 4th of all if you get in a accident just consider the car total. I had 2 tC totaled already. The frames are very poor. But again you get for what you paid for (it's not ferrari even thou they also have some poor work). And still i would prefer the tC then anyother sport coupe in that kind of price range. I love Scion and i love Toyota and i'm proud to say that i own aToyota vehicle. Ohh and yeah lets go back to the topic, from what i have heared the tC are made for around 9K.

sooo not true?

where do u get this info from? Space?

ACtually the frame is the strongest frame toyota makes, outside of lexus, Triple Beam's on side's and back.

it is not a weak frame, and i think your full of ____...maybe you cant drive.

5-4 star Crash rating's means its a strong Frame...

Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sayin that from expirience my friend not from what i have heared. And what i said i had 2 tc totaled i dint sya it was my fault. One more thing the tC that i had had broken frame and the car was hit from the side with 40 mph. And i'm not dissing Toyota here. I'm just saying that the frames are not that strong. May be if you do some research and see how many people had their tC totaled just of frame damadge, which is not legal to be rapaired.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Let me say that again. Frames are meant to crumple. This is by design. Read up on crumple zones.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sayin that from expirience my friend not from what i have heared. And what i said i had 2 tc totaled i dint sya it was my fault. One more thing the tC that i had had broken frame and the car was hit from the side with 40 mph. And i'm not dissing Toyota here. I'm just saying that the frames are not that strong. May be if you do some research and see how many people had their tC totaled just of frame damadge, which is not legal to be rapaired.
You don't think a 40mph hit on the side is enough to damage a car's frame? Any car's frame?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cars frame is suppose to bend to absorb some of the impact from the crash. its specially designed to do that.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mine was smacked hard in the right rear corner last winter on a slick parking lot exit. Spun me around and made me think it destroyed the right rear completely due to the impact. Ended up just cracking the bumper cover and bent a sheet metal support underneath. The guy hit me in an accord, and the paint from his front bumper was left on my rear quarter panel and bumper... and did not even scratch my paint. It took it much better than I expected. And as far as the oil change story.... tell whoever told you that he is completely full of bs.... the car would be destroyed from normal driving if that were the case. I have had it on a lift a few times... and it looks pretty well put together compared to a lot of compacts I have worked on.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dmikon
You don't think a 40mph hit on the side is enough to damage a car's frame? Any car's frame?
new cars are built on a unibody platform.... there is no frame. And I dont care what it is, you hit it going 40 in the side and it will do MAJOR damage.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have seen some scions ... many on this site, that have been in major accidents and saved the drivers a$$.... and once more..... there is no frame!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why we are some even questioning this? It's toyota..need we say more?? Besides if you have totalled 2 tC's and have lived to buy another...why would you want to start this thread?

Some people amaze me!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was t-boned the 2md week i had my tc. had to replace the door and rear quarter panel. there was no penetration to the interior cabin or unibody(frame) construction. the metal bar inside the door absorbed most of the impact and probably saved my ribs. good thing it was raining and we just bounced off eachother. but then again if it wasnt raining the accident probably wouldnt have happened.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

My 2 cents....My mom currently drives a 1999 VW Jetta (bought it brand new) and the engine still purrs!! She's has had minor tune-ups but has never gotten stranded on the side of the road... I guess we can thank all the regular maintence services (oil change, transmission oil change, so on) and the fact that she drives cautiously, for that!!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion tC was ranked high in consumer reports for april...

AND ITS A TOYOTA, toyota=quality....some of the safest cars and best technology out there.
I know the car is made cheap and all, but i dont think toyota would disgrace their name by putting a horrible car out on the market....
Old 04-21-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Haha! 22 gauge steel is like foil.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I AM APPALED SOME PEOPLE DON'T USE COMMON SENSE

1) Just because it is cheap in price, does not mean cheap in quality.

2) When in an accident, take into consideration the speed & the vehicle. If it was a new dodge durango hitting the scion head on collision at 45mph, I'm sure the scion would be totaled. If a tC ran into the back end of my mr2 (mid-engine) at 55mph, I'm sure both our cars would be totaled. Now if I hit a scion with my mr2's nose, I'm sure my front will crumple up.

3) The angle and how much initial force over an area plays a great factor. There's a difference between catching a corner and getting t-boned.

4) There will always be "well i/my friend/my cousin" had "so and so" happen. What is important is the general truth. My g/f's all-trac with a 3sgte gave out a 97,000 miles. But on the mr2 boards, there is a never opened 3sgte track car with over 200,000 miles and pushing over 300whp at 15 or so psi. We can not say that these engines are bad by using my case, but we also can't say these engines will last you that long at 16psi by using the mr2's case.

5) My last point, Toyota made this car. It's going to be better than average. In my case, my g/f's tC is awesome. Everything works like it should, it's very reliable, nothing has gone wrong, we changed the oil and the frame didn't bend, we have no ratch rattle, moonroof/sunroof works perfect, no stereo rattle, etc. The loudest voices are those that complain because of a bad situation. Not to say they are wrong for doing so (they have every right), but it's just you are more likely to yell when something is wrong. How many times have you complained to a manager at a restaurant about this and that? Now how many times have you praised a manager because everything went ok or good?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member

Ok to help settle this. Form the aspect of a emergency provider you want a car that crumples. Esp one the size of a Scion. If it doesnt all the force of the accident the gets transfered to what ever is in the vehicle- ie you. Also for what its worth I personally take the federal crash tests with a grain of salt, the one the insurance institute does is more reallistic- I should know I have had to pry my way to more than a few people in cars.

rjflyn
Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can post all of the proof that tCs' are excellent cars, but some a-hole will shoot it down. It's not worth the keystrokes trying to introduce logic to many contributors to this forum.

If you think that your Scion is a rolling coffin, get rid of it, and stop your _____in'. For the record, no vehicle is impervious to being destroyed in an accident. It depends on many physical factors (speed at impact, etc...). Obviously, a larger vehicle in an accident with a smaller vehicle will have an unfair advantage, due to its ability to absorb stored energy over a larger surface area than the smaller car.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by garciaog
You can post all of the proof that tCs' are excellent cars, but some a-hole will shoot it down. It's not worth the keystrokes trying to introduce logic to many contributors to this forum.

If you think that your Scion is a rolling coffin, get rid of it, and stop your _____in'. For the record, no vehicle is impervious to being destroyed in an accident. It depends on many physical factors (speed at impact, etc...). Obviously, a larger vehicle in an accident with a smaller vehicle will have an unfair advantage, due to its ability to absorb stored energy over a larger surface area than the smaller car.

And by the way....I LOVE MY tC!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mfbenson
A volkswagen dealer told you this? And you believed him!?!?!?

Read a consumer reports or JD power lately. Volkswagen is at or near the bottom of the list in quality.

An acquaintence of mine bought a Jetta recently. In the first month he had to take it in to the dealer THREE times. And it has other problems that he's just decided to live with.

If the steel was that thin there'd be reports of fatality accidents all over this site. I just don't believe it.
Wow! Common sense. Refreshing.

Quick Reply: Are Scions made cheaply?